What's new

Behave or be like North Korea: former US diplomat Zalmay Khalilzad on Pakistan

Anyone who thinks Pakistan can be isolated, is an idiot. Times have changed, and Pakistan has learn from its mistakes.

The US can no more isolate Pakistan than it could China or Russia.

An Afghan who has no power, or influence won't change that simple fact.

The question is; Does Pakistan depend on US aid?
I do not think so..
It is the US policy of "Either you are with us or against us" (even in falsehood, like it was proven in Iraq, and most probably in Afghanistan too!), That is in fault..on top of it it is being used as a double edge, when it is needed to further US policy and when The US want to turn against An ally (mainly if he is Muslim)..
The US and its real Allies have decided that they do not like Islam as it is, and want to decide how Islam should be according to their perception.. If it is true that Islam has been disfigured by some groups and entities, But from this point of view, one can clearly see the hidden hands behind it all...But since god knows better than them and the Muslims themselves, I have no fear for Islam, since it has it own dyamics..As it has faced bigger odds through history and still came back very strong

Last edited:
Why would someone pay any attention to a former diplomat; this is completely irrelevant.

Some pretty strong words from Fmr US ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad.

@pakistani342 : What's your thoughts on the mood in the Capitol Hill? Zal seems to indicate that US Gov is probably resorting to more sticks than carrots this time.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/paki...may-khalilzad-former-us-diplomat-2867468.html

Today, I see in US a greater desire to isolate Pakistan. I think there is a need for a North Korea-type of isolation. We have asked China if they want Pakistan to be North Korea. We are pressing for delay in the IMF package to Pakistan. There has to be a complete suspension of all assistance to Pakistan and to make its military generals and government understand the consequences of continued support for extremist and terrorist groups.

The drone attack was a shot across the bow for Pakistan’s generals. It had a clear message. If we can do that with Mullah Mansour (the successor of Mullah Omar was killed in a US drone attack in Pakistan’s Baluchistan province in May), we can surely tackle the other Taliban leaders.

Stopping the sale of the F-16 fighter jets was another message to them. Reduction in assistance to Pakistan is another message.

Oh one more thing -- turning Pakistan into North Korea is not isolated to Zal among the Afghan elites.

This has been a recurring theme used by several Afghan intellectuals -- I was trying to find old references that Afghanistan will become South Korea and Pakistan North Korea -- I don't know how it sounds to an Afghan but the comparison is so absurd that it is beyond laughable.

Why an ordinary US envoy would want to create another '90s Iraq-like situation with millions of starving Pakistanis is beyond my understanding. But this envoy isn't simply a run-of-the-mill American diplomat. Taking a look into his background, I find that the picture becomes much clearer. Diasporas are usually very susceptible to a rabid and irrational form of nationalism. Unfortunately, it seems the overseas Afghan community has embraced this menace. Just take a look at Omar Mateen's father, making a fool of himself on television as he curses Pakistan in the garb of a general. Even our own resident Afghan, @A-Team is pleasuring himself on this thread to Khalilzad's statements, ignorant to the fact that his countrymen and impoverished nation will suffer more than us if we are isolated. It's a shame that even former American diplomats aren't safe from this nasty nationalism.

Last edited:
this is a very good point -- @A-Team -- if the OBL raid didn't isolate Pakistan -- some petty matter of Afghanistan will?

I would say that episode has started this entire process, NO ?

Why an ordinary US envoy would want to create another '90s Iraq-like situation with millions of starving Pakistanis is beyond my understanding. But this envoy isn't simply a run-of-the-mill American diplomat. Taking a look into his background, I find that the picture becomes much clearer. Diasporas are usually very susceptible to a rabid and irrational form of nationalism. Unfortunately, it seems the overseas Afghan community has embraced this menace. Just take a look at Omar Mateen's father, making a fool of himself on television as he curses Pakistan in the garb of a general. Even our own resident Afghan, @A-Team is pleasuring himself on this thread to Khalilzad's statements, ignorant to the fact that his countrymen and impoverished nation will suffer more than us if we are isolated. It's a shame that even former American diplomats aren't safe from this nasty nationalism.

Look Zal has raised some key points and how the situation is evolving for Pakistan, I have started this thread to put some of my own argumentation as well ( can be right or wrong), with the exception of @pakistani342, @RAMPAGE @Spectre and or two others who has provided some counter arguments ( some I agree some I don't ) all I have seen is personal insults towards Zal and nothing more, if PDF is platform for sharing ideas and asking critical sometimes difficult questions then responding with insults towards Zal or Afghans is a poor way of making your case.

Makes sense ?

Inspect the Democratic and Republican party platforms -- Pakistan and Afghanistan don't occupy more than a few paragraphs.

Isolation is a huge word -- in a middle east that is burning and in a multi-polar world -- Isolation can be done of fly weight counties -- if that.

You do know that after the f-16 episode the Obama administration increased the Aid ask for Pakistan from $700 to $900 million ;-)

If Pakistan were to be isolated -- it would not be on the count of Afghanistan I assure you.

Look Zal has raised some key points and how the situation is evolving for Pakistan, I have started this thread to put some of my own argumentation as well ( can be right or wrong), with the exception of @pakistani342, @RAMPAGE @Spectre and or two others who has provided some counter arguments ( some I agree some I don't ) all I have seen is personal insults towards Zal and nothing more, if PDF is platform for sharing ideas and asking critical sometimes difficult questions then responding with insults towards Zal or Afghans is a poor way of making your case.

Makes sense ?

Just on Zal, in the foreign policy circles Zal is viewed with particular disdain -- he's seen as an opportunist.

"Zal" does not have a single work on Afghanistan or Iraq that is seen as seminal to my knowledge.

It is not only about countries in the region,but its about institutions such as IMF, WB, it's about putting sanctions on selective Generals in the army, it's about putting you on list of state sponsor of terror, if the US ever gets serious about hurting Pakistan then there are million ways.

Frankly I am surprised as to why the US has not done this yet, even it knows that Talis a proxy of the PK has killed hundreds of US soldiers, attacked its embassy etc OR maybe the US is just all talk and it knows well that in reality it cant do much to punish Pakistan.

Beats me.

Or it knows that Afghanistan,India and America is equally involved in propping up proxies against Pakistan and If they try to harm Pakistan, they will get an egg on the face. Hence unspoken hostilities continues.

Just on Zal, in the foreign policy circles Zal is viewed with particular disdain -- he's seen as an opportunist.

"Zal" does not have a single work on Afghanistan or Iraq that is seen as seminal to my knowledge.

Aren't all politicians opportunists ? ;) Niccolò Machiavelli thrived on it.

Aren't all politicians opportunists ? ;) Niccolò Machiavelli thrived on it.

try but he's really not a politician -- never held elected office.

He's a technocrat -- served in the Regan administration -- was an Oil exec -- married to an intellectual of some repute.

but no Diplomats of stature vis-a-vis Afghanistan:
1. Marvin Weinbaum (Giant)
2. Ambassador Neumann (Giant)
3. Ambassador Tomsen (Giant) -- Pakistan hater

"Zal" cannot hold a candle, for example to these gentlemen.

On Integrity and counter to opportunism -- I'll add Nancy Dupree -- if 1% of the Afghan politicians had her integrity ...

Back
Top Bottom