Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Five-day show ends tomorrow

Star Business Report

Sun Oct 9, 2022 12:00 AM Last update on: Sun Oct 9, 2022 12:06 AM

The furniture fair with more than 180 stalls of companies such as Regal Furniture, Hatil, Akhtar Furnishers, Navana Furniture, Partex Furniture, Nadia Furniture and Brothers Furniture is offering free home deliveries and discounts of up to 25 per cent. Photo: Amran Hossain

1665291800515.png

After a two-year gap for the pandemic, an annual National Furniture Fair kicked off in Dhaka last Thursday with manufacturers trying to woo customers with free home deliveries and discounts of 10 per cent to 25 per cent.

Organised by Bangladesh Furniture Industry Owners Association under the management of Design and Technology Center, this 17th edition of the five-day fair is open at the capital's International Convention City Bashundhara from 10:00am to 8:00pm.

There are 182 stalls of 34 organisations, including Regal Furniture, HATIL, Akhtar Furnishers, Navana Furniture, Partex Furniture, Nadia Furniture and Brothers Furniture.

Kamruzzaman Kamal, marketing director at Pran-RFL Group, which exports products under its Regal Furniture brand, said they were offering discounts of up to 20 per cent and free home delivery.

"We manufacture furniture for all segments of customers at affordable prices," he said, adding that Regal Furniture was displaying office and home furniture at the fair.

The organisers said one aim of the event was to increase exports.

Export of furniture from the country has increased at a significant rate.

Furniture worth of $190.36 million was exported in fiscal year 2021-2022, 38.87 per cent higher than that in the previous year.

Currently, Bangladesh exports furniture to India, Nepal, the US, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Europe.

Talking to The Daily Star, Selim H Rahman, chairman and managing director of HATIL, one of the leading exporters, said their target was more about promoting the furniture sector through the display of new products of unique designs.

Industry insiders believe the combined annual sale of home and office furniture by both the organized and non-organized (informal) sectors was currently at around Tk 26,000 crore.

In contrast, it was only Tk 6,700 crore in 2012 according to a European Union report.

Five-day show ends tomorrow

Star Business Report

Sun Oct 9, 2022 12:00 AM Last update on: Sun Oct 9, 2022 12:06 AM

The furniture fair with more than 180 stalls of companies such as Regal Furniture, Hatil, Akhtar Furnishers, Navana Furniture, Partex Furniture, Nadia Furniture and Brothers Furniture is offering free home deliveries and discounts of up to 25 per cent. Photo: Amran Hossain

View attachment 885801

After a two-year gap for the pandemic, an annual National Furniture Fair kicked off in Dhaka last Thursday with manufacturers trying to woo customers with free home deliveries and discounts of 10 per cent to 25 per cent.

Organised by Bangladesh Furniture Industry Owners Association under the management of Design and Technology Center, this 17th edition of the five-day fair is open at the capital's International Convention City Bashundhara from 10:00am to 8:00pm.

There are 182 stalls of 34 organisations, including Regal Furniture, HATIL, Akhtar Furnishers, Navana Furniture, Partex Furniture, Nadia Furniture and Brothers Furniture.

Kamruzzaman Kamal, marketing director at Pran-RFL Group, which exports products under its Regal Furniture brand, said they were offering discounts of up to 20 per cent and free home delivery.

"We manufacture furniture for all segments of customers at affordable prices," he said, adding that Regal Furniture was displaying office and home furniture at the fair.

The organisers said one aim of the event was to increase exports.

Export of furniture from the country has increased at a significant rate.

Furniture worth of $190.36 million was exported in fiscal year 2021-2022, 38.87 per cent higher than that in the previous year.

Currently, Bangladesh exports furniture to India, Nepal, the US, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Europe.

Talking to The Daily Star, Selim H Rahman, chairman and managing director of HATIL, one of the leading exporters, said their target was more about promoting the furniture sector through the display of new products of unique designs.

Industry insiders believe the combined annual sale of home and office furniture by both the organized and non-organized (informal) sectors was currently at around Tk 26,000 crore.

In contrast, it was only Tk 6,700 crore in 2012 according to a European Union report.

Very old fashioned designs 🤣

I guess Dhakaya middle class have Bollywood tastes.

I once saw a dining table with revolving condiments rack - I just couldn’t stop laughing. Our host was enjoying turning it and getting his salt and chillies 🤣🤣🤣

I once saw a dining table with revolving condiments rack - I just couldn’t stop laughing. Our host was enjoying turning it and getting his salt and chillies 🤣🤣🤣
Bangladesh in @BananaRepublicUK's head:

images (36).jpeg

A revolving condiments rack is a Chinese tradition and not something Dhakaiyas introduced. But the point is, Bangladesh furniture-makers cannot just account for those of us with evolved modern tastes such as Bauhaus Modern or simply contemporary. They have to account for ALL tastes, even for those folks who would like to have ornate furniture in their homes.

After all - the supply in the market by furniture manufacturers (or ANY manufacturer) is dictated by buyers' tastes - and not the other way round. If people like "ugly" furniture in their homes, the manufacturers will happily comply. Even for people in certain global regions who want "ugly" furniture.

To some folks, having ornate furniture in their homes (sometimes gold plated) is a sign that they have "socially arrived" at some echelon of society. You may disagree with their taste, but it is their money, after all.

We might laugh at people's tastes, but there is nothing to prove that any specific regional population in Bangladesh has any more of a more "sophisticated" taste than any other.

We have to be careful in trying to glorify one region over others in Bangladesh in taste, cuisine or anything else. This is the domain of people who speak AGAINST Bangladesh in general, rather than FOR it.

I don't believe we should hijack this thread and turn it into a "Sylhetis against the rest of Bangladesh" discussion. Please do not come back with responses to that effect. That line of argument is rather immature and is the domain of false flaggers and enemies of our country.

I have plenty of Sylhetis in my extended family and also as friends. However they are all VERY educated and are confident enough that they don't flaunt their Sylhetiness so much. Such provincially superior behavior smacks of narrow regionalism which is borne out of lack of education and exposure usually. Which enemies of our country can easily exploit. Sanghis are very active in exploiting these two regional areas, Sylhet and Chittagong.

This is as far as I want to take this topic, which is off topic anyway for this thread.

Last edited:
A revolving condiments rack is a Chinese tradition and not something Dhakaiyas introduced. But the point is, Bangladesh furniture-makers cannot just account for those of us with evolved modern tastes such as Bauhaus Modern or simply contemporary. They have to account for ALL tastes, even for those folks who would like to have ornate furniture in their homes.

After all - the supply in the market by furniture manufacturers (or ANY manufacturer) is dictated by buyers' tastes - and not the other way round. If people like "ugly" furniture in their homes, the manufacturers will happily comply. Even for people in certain global regions who want "ugly" furniture.

To some folks, having ornate furniture in their homes (sometimes gold plated) is a sign that they have "socially arrived" at some echelon of society. You may disagree with their taste, but it is their money, after all.

We might laugh at people's tastes, but there is nothing to prove that any specific regional population in Bangladesh has any more of a more "sophisticated" taste than any other.

We have to be careful in trying to glorify one region over others in Bangladesh in taste, cuisine or anything else. This is the domain of people who speak AGAINST Bangladesh in general, rather than FOR it.

I don't believe we should hijack this thread and turn it into a "Sylhetis against the rest of Bangladesh" discussion. Please do not come back with responses to that effect. That line of argument is rather immature and is the domain of false flaggers and enemies of our country.

I have plenty of Sylhetis in my extended family and also as friends. However they are all VERY educated and are confident enough that they don't flaunt their Sylhetiness so much. Such provincially superior behavior smacks of narrow regionalism which is borne out of lack of education and exposure usually. Which enemies of our country can easily exploit. Sanghis are very active in exploiting these two regional areas, Sylhet and Chittagong.

This is as far as I want to take this topic, which is off topic anyway for this thread.

Well said, bro!

You know I like and respect you a lot.

Back
Top Bottom