What's new

Bangladesh Bought ‘Obsolete’ Chinese Submarines: Russian expert

:crazy::crazy::crazy:
1. even according to you Vietnam spent $300million for each sub.
2. Swedish sub for $100 million ? ! ! ! demagh thik hey tera ? :close_tema:

Dude,they got most Advanced version of Kilo with everything.

And yes...

Hybrid diesel-electric units propel Swedish Gotland Class subs, supplemented with Kockum Stirling engines running on liquid oxygen and diesel oil to turn a generator to produce electricity for propulsion and to charge the vessel's batteries. Typical cost for a Gotland class sub is $100 million.

http://argee.net/DefenseWatch/Tomorrows Submarine Fleet--The Non-nuclear Option.htm

And yes...

Hybrid diesel-electric units propel Swedish Gotland Class subs, supplemented with Kockum Stirling engines running on liquid oxygen and diesel oil to turn a generator to produce electricity for propulsion and to charge the vessel's batteries. Typical cost for a Gotland class sub is $100 million.

http://argee.net/DefenseWatch/Tomorrows Submarine Fleet--The Non-nuclear Option.htm
it cost about $250 million, i checked the price in other sites
where BD one cost about $97million

I saw that same article Griffin - but that has to be wrong.

Only 3 Gotland class subs were built and the Swedes have all three in service.

The replacements are costing (a bit larger) - more than $450mil a piece - Still diesel electric with AIP

During a visit to Kockums facilities on June 30, 2015 the Swedish defence minister, Peter Hultqvist, announced that two submarines will be ordered for a cost of 8.2 billion SEK (US$ 972 million), and that the submarines would be delivered by 2022.
From $100mil to $450mil+ for the next iteration!!!

And yes...

Don't kid yourself. Most advance version? Another BS from Indian. Theirs is no different from the kilo 636 delivered to PLAN 10years ago. Only different is the communication is tailor for VPN. The sonar, acusotic and weapon suite is all the standard package for Kilo636

Kindly enlighten us about Ming sub with some insider info that we don't know.

Bangladeshis themselves are saying these subs are only will have15 years of lifetime.Brand new Gotlands would serve them better.

And please,kindly don't drool over your 1960s sub.There is a lot of stuff you can drool over,Ming isn't one of them.

There is already info which you Indians are just in self denial to avoid. May I know which is the first AIP equipped sub? The first AIP equipped sub started only in 1996 and Type35G has AIP. So how does that makes it a 1960 sub?

$193 mil for having 2 subs only to have training experience and that too only for 15 years??

Holy molly...I underestimated the level of Ponzi scheme that happened there.

Instead of that,you could've went Vietnam way.They got 6 advanced Kilos along with everything at 1.8 bil.Keep everything at bay.Or you could've got some new advanced Swedish subs like Gotland or modified version of it at same price(100 mil).No other sub can come close to beat these.

I wonder what we're missing.

Wrong.That was a Song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_039_submarine

Song class is a Sub commissioned in 1998,nearly 30-40 years later of first Ming.

Kindly enlighten us about Ming sub with some insider info that we don't know.

Bangladeshis themselves are saying these subs are only will have15 years of lifetime.Brand new Gotlands would serve them better.

And please,kindly don't drool over your 1960s sub.There is a lot of stuff you can drool over,Ming isn't one of them.
He was talking about Ming.... not song.

$193 mil for having 2 subs only to have training experience and that too only for 15 years??

Holy molly...I underestimated the level of Ponzi scheme that happened there.

Instead of that,you could've went Vietnam way.They got 6 advanced Kilos along with everything at 1.8 bil.Keep everything at bay.Or you could've got some new advanced Swedish subs like Gotland or modified version of it at same price(100 mil).No other sub can come close to beat these.

I wonder what we're missing.

What your missing is a brain cell, first a Gotland sub are no longer offered by Kockum, only sub available from Sweden is the A26 which cost more then $485m each. Oh and the current prices for Kilo sub is $360m - $400m each.

We are getting 2 training subs for less then $200m.....If we bought 2 Kilo subs it would have cost us $750m - $850m (plus higher running, training, weapons and refit costs).....2 x A26 from Sweden will cost us $1bn +

With this deal we get to learn sub surface warfare, build the sub infra etc....and when ready buy the latest available subs from China.

I was speaking to a BN navy man yesterday. Although retired now for 5 years what he told me was very illuminating.

His opinions were as follows. The mings represents the culmination of 20 year effort by BN to induct sub.

He primarily blamed BNP for lack of will to induct submarines, according to him there has been serious continuous offers on the table from several European countries for both refurbished and new subs.

BD reluctance has been caused by various things at various times. Subs were put on the back burner to develop the army for UN roles post first Iraq wars. BD wanted the military to be as self funding as possible and they could not figure out how subs could further that. Also IN navy was much smaller than what it is now and the only navy that mattered in the region was USN operating from dieago Garcia.

Second objection came even though submariners were trained in late 90's - early 2000s from inability to agree how much money can be appropriated illegally from the deal. BD economically was not doing that great and was under pressure for being the most corrupt country in the world. Additionally what money was left after the army was channelled to the BAF with particular emphasis on logistical capabilities again to support UN.

The random purchase of BNS bongobondhu was coupled with massive amount of kickbacks for the BAL leadership. It was purchased when money could have been better spent getting more surface assets. BNS bongobondhu was purchased against navy wishes and plans.

The subsequent BNP period was characterised by non descisions and massive levels of graft and the military being completely ignored. BNP did nothing whilst Indian and Burmese claimed and intruded on BD territory and blocked exploration.

The military rule period gave form to proper planning and a strategic vision.

Sub purchase was subsequently delayed by the BAL regime awaiting the maritime demarcations to be settled and order was placed within weeks of settlement.

Mings were purchased because they were cheap. BN does not view them as training sub. They will he in service for 20+ years and the refurbishment was carried out with that in mind.

In future he expects further 4 refurbished mings to join BN with 2 new Chinese subs joining. He expects in the medium term BD plan is to have 6 subs.

Mings were purchased because they were cheap. BN does not view them as training sub. They will he in service for 20+ years and the refurbishment was carried out with that in mind.

In future he expects further 4 refurbished mings to join BN with 2 new Chinese subs joining. He expects in the medium term BD plan is to have 6 subs.

4 more Mings and two new subs that will make the total number to 8? Also, by medium term, is he referring to 2030?

What are the magnetic signature of these submarines?

I'm not even sure how you'd describe that, tbh. What you're looking at here is a sweep of the underwater topography near Somalia during Operation Ocean Shield.

20111029th_267.t4eabdcbc.m1600.x8a37e3ef.jpg

When an emitter is located it'll register as an anomalous lump of twisted or unnatural magnetic fields, but not a specific object or picture - it certainly doesn't show up in the shape of a submarine. It's up to the crew of the MPA to determine whether or not they're looking at a submarine, underwater feature or other emitter like a shipwreck or sea life. And there are a lot of false positives with MAD systems.

The magnetic signature of a submarine changes with the environment too. Underwater ferrous metals can warp the sub's magnetic field, as can things like volcanoes or sea life, so it's situational at best. That's why crews are trained to learn the subtle differences between natural emitters and man-made ones, but that's only determined after investigating the emitter, preferably with sonobuoys in conjunction to MAD location.

Source: Professional experience with sub hunting equipment

Last edited by a moderator:
Russian expert says it's obsolete, then when BD will Buy subs from russia that will be Obsolete too ? Yes we admit it is quiet old future, But it is genuine for us for our safety issue.

4 more Mings and two new subs that will make the total number to 8? Also, by medium term, is he referring to 2030?

I am very sorry I made a error in my write up. He said he is expecting 2 more mings and two new subs...

His view was a total of 6 subs dependent entirely on how quickly Chinese can provide. He felt mings will join before new subs as Chinese pipelines for new subs are fairly clogged given their own demands as well overseas order from Pakistan Thailand etc

I am very sorry I made a error in my write up. He said he is expecting 2 more mings and two new subs...

His view was a total of 6 subs dependent entirely on how quickly Chinese can provide. He felt mings will join before new subs as Chinese pipelines for new subs are fairly clogged given their own demands as well overseas order from Pakistan Thailand etc

Do you think it is only interest of china purpose ? Or their own benefit ?

Sub purchase was subsequently delayed by the BAL regime awaiting the maritime demarcations to be settled and order was placed within weeks of settlement.
This is what i was guessing and thinking. A decision to buy subs prior to the maritime settlement would have caused the dispute to continue in the sea, which would have backfired the sub purchase as well. So, wait till settlement was the best policy.

Back
Top Bottom