What's new

Arming LTTE against Indian Army was most unfavorable and dangerous: Maj. Gen Gunaratne

it was a hilarous movie :-)

did they have a choice on the IPKF ??

You mean to say we bulldozed our way into their island.

I know that the sentiment of people of Sri Lanka was not in its favour but we did sign the agreement with their govt. for IPKF deployment. Well we learned a lesson not to interfere and a lesson learned the hard way.

You do know that a lot of it was funded by radical churches in the west and that this 'marxist-leninist' cover was used to disguise the religious affiliations, right?

I was surprised when I read how various churches were involved in funding and fuelling the bloodshed in Lanka.

Do check up on them.

Like many such groups, LTTE were engaged in many criminal enterprises to fund their operations, including fronts like churches, temples, etc. They were engaged in smuggling of all kinds: human, drugs, arms, cigarettes, you name it. They also extorted a lot of money from Sri Lankan Tamil working overseas, threatening to kill their family members if they didn't pay.

If the LTTE was just a criminal enterprise, it would rival the mafia in its efficacy and sophistication.

You mean to say we bulldozed our way into their island.

I know that the sentiment of people of Sri Lanka was not in its favour but we did sign the agreement with their govt. for IPKF deployment. Well we learned a lesson not to interfere and a lesson learned the hard way.
I felt that Rajiv Gandhi intervened in Sri lanka to take the heat off the Bofors scandal

I felt that Rajiv Gandhi intervened in Sri lanka to take the heat off the Bofors scandal
it helped Rajiv Gandhi that the CM of Tamilnadu (MGR) was sidelined with a stroke

Sending IPKF correct. Just one mistake, we should have bombed the shit of them before moving ground troops.

You have to understand that IPKF was in a bind and was not free to operate on its whim. You cannot win a war with your hands tied behind. That's what happened with IPKF which resulted in so many deaths.

So everybody tried to use the LTTE for profit and everybody got bit in return
and only had to work harder to get rid of them in the end? Seems fair enough!

Sad but fair! Thanks for those posts Anant_S, my good mate, Tay.

Very good assessment considering so many players were involved.

Back
Top Bottom