What's new

ARDE develops final version of modern carbine

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
ARDE develops final version of modern carbine - The Times of India

PUNE: The Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) has developed the final version of the modern sub-machine carbine (MSMC). The carbine will be useful in battlefield as well as urban warfare.

Anil M Datar, director, ARDE, said, "The gun was developed in association with ordnance factories." Datar was speaking to TOI on the sidelines of a seminar on 'Simulation technologies', held at the Mahratta Chamber of Commerce Industries and Agriculture on Friday.

Datar said the armed forces will be given the gun for trials, which will be carried out in various terrains, including high-altitude areas. Hoping that the trials will be successful, Datar said, "I cannot give the exact date of its induction. Normally, around seven to eight months are required to carry out such tests".

This MSMC is a lightweight, compact, automatic gun. It has a small barrel and can be fired from the hip or shoulder-mounted. The gun will be helpful in close encounters and can be used by the Indian Army, paramilitary forces and commandos.

Established in 1958, the ARDE comes under the Defence Research and Development Organisation ( DRDO). Its work includes designing and developing conventional armaments, basic and applied research, modelling, simulation and software development in the field of conventional armament and transfer of technology related works.

The organisation has been instrumental in contributing for various important defence programmes such as Indian Small Arms System, Arjun MBT battle tank gun, Pinaka multi-barrel rocket launcher and ejection seat for the light combat aircraft, Tejas.

Speaking at the seminar earlier, Datar said, industries should come forward to join hands with the ARDE in the field of simulation. The defence committee of the MCCIA had organised the seminar in partnership with NASSCOM. Anant Sardeshmukh, executive director general, MCCIA, and Brigadier (retd) S B Ghorpade, chairman, defence committee, MCCIA, shared the dais.

"The ARDE has a lot of facilities, but the manpower is less. If industries come forward, carrying out joint programmes for improvement of the defence sector will be possible. Simulation systems are needed for cost reduction and better efficiency. Successful modelling and simulation is the backbone of any technology and we should promote it jointly," Datar said.

What role would this weapon fill? It's not an assault rifle but it's not a SMG like MP-5 what weapon would it replace? Sten? As Indian SF already have/are inducting weapons they want. I think it could have a good Market for Indian law enforcement rather than armed forces which will use F-INSAS in the future.

Of what I have heard.The MSMC or the modern sub machine gun had been developed and proposed for the FINSAS program sometime back however it lacked in some features and thus was rejected by the Indian Army.The contract thus went into the the hands of IMI which impressed the Officers with its shorter version of TAVOR called ZITTARA.The army is currently trying to procure the documents for indigenous production of Zittara which shall become the standard weapon for the army.
MSMC.jpg

cursodeinstructores01.jpg

Modern+Sub-Machine+Carbine.jpg

Of what I have heard.The MSMC or the modern sub machine gun had been developed and proposed for the FINSAS program sometime back however it lacked in some features and thus was rejected by the Indian Army.The contract thus went into the the hands of IMI which impressed the Officers with its shorter version of TAVOR called ZITTARA.The army is currently trying to procure the documents for indigenous production of Zittara which shall become the standard weapon for the army.

No one said it was rejected, but was in trials and never really heard from it again.

There is no picture of the latest MSMC.

There is no picture of the latest MSMC.

Which one is the latest MSMC. I have heard of only one MSMC that to way back in 2009 and never heard that some new MSMC was being made.

With my telling rejection meant for that particular time because of unsatisfactory results the MSMC was resent for further modifications.

Which one is the latest MSMC. I have heard of only one MSMC that to way back in 2009 and never heard that some new MSMC was being made.

With my telling rejection meant for that particular time because of unsatisfactory results the MSMC was resent for further modifications.

Yes here is the original MSMC.

msmc.jpg

msmc2.jpg

albums_e324_romypaliwal_INSASCarbine.jpg

^^Oldest

rwt7p0.jpg

4367071433_b4ea70c771.jpg

Latest pictures.

I don't think the ZITTARA will become the standard weapon of the IA as that will be a rifle under the F-INSAS program in a JV with Israel of which details are sketchy right now. However the Zittara has great potential to become a standard weapon for INDIAN SOFs to be used instead of/in conjunction with the SOF's Tar-21s.

What role would this weapon fill? It's not an assault rifle but it's not a SMG like MP-5 what weapon would it replace? Sten? As Indian SF already have/are inducting weapons they want. I think it could have a good Market for Indian law enforcement rather than armed forces which will use F-INSAS in the future.
The same role which MP5 is doing in our forces. It might also be used as side arm for SF but not for whole army. I think indian army is too big to arm with foreign weapons. It will be expensive. I think the SF and RR will use tar while other infantry soldiers will use these weapons (MSMC+ new proposed assault rifle).

Any progress on Trichi assault rifle ?

this uses 5.56x30mm which can go through BPJ but it has the recoil of a pistol i'm pretty sure this will go to SOF's, army units, police etc its compact and good for CQB NSG might pick it up as well

good to know we are becoming more self sufficient by the day

@LIQUID is it some kind of a joke what exactly is the difference between the pictures I posted and the ones which you gave.
The first pic which I gave was was when the rifle was officially released or the first unveil and the next 2 are the pic of DEFEXPO.

So, that makes the difference between both the pics.

I don't think the ZITTARA will become the standard weapon of the IA as that will be a rifle under the F-INSAS program in a JV with Israel of which details are sketchy right now. However the Zittara has great potential to become a standard weapon for INDIAN SOFs to be used instead of/in conjunction with the SOF's Tar-21s.

12000 TAR 21's have already been ordered for the Paramilitary forces.The first shipment has arrived.

So,one cannot say that it cannot become the standard weapon of the army.
It is not exclusive for the SOF's if the Paramilitary can get it then why not the army.

maintaining foreign weapon for 1 million strength army is not a good idea.....

maintaining foreign weapon for 1 million strength army is not a good idea.....

Yeah thats correct it, one hell of an Idea.
And India isn't going to do this exactly.

It's going to produce the TAVOR TAR 21 indigenously by the name of ZITTARA(MTAR) which would be a multi calibre rifle attached with an under barrel grenade launcher(with air bursting grenades).This version shall have a short muzzle as compared to the original TAR 21's.And probably thats the one which shall be inducted into the Armed Forces..

Here's a video of TAVOR TAR 21(Discovery Future Weapons)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom