What's new

Apple's PC unit shipment share in the United States from 2013 to 2023, by quarter

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

macbook.png

marketshareosx.png

IMG_6258.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 937825

View attachment 937826

IMG_6258.jpg

Apple devices have simply become too expensive - this will affect their market penetration but with Apple want to pitch them as "luxury" devices with a price premium - i dont see Apple being concerned about overtaking windows anymore. That low-cost game has little real profit in it.

As someone who is not starting to think about how to replace their "Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro" as the O/S will not be supported after september 2023 - I think i will go Windows for my next 15" laptop - i cannot afford the new Apple offerings ( but i might try and see if i can install Linux on to the "Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro" to see if it will give me more life from the device first.

Apple devices have simply become too expensive - this will affect their market penetration but with Apple want to pitch them as "luxury" devices with a price premium - i dont see Apple being concerned about overtaking windows anymore. That low-cost game has little real profit in it.

As someone who is not starting to think about how to replace their "Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro" as the O/S will not be supported after september 2023 - I think i will go Windows for my next 15" laptop - i cannot afford the new Apple offerings ( but i might try and see if i can install Linux on to the "Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro" to see if it will give me more life from the device first.
The fact that it even survived 10 years means that it was worth it. If you look at all windows options provided with aluminium/metal body you will see they are not much cheaper than a macbook. The plastic ones will start disentegrating after 3-4 years, not to mention issues that come with all windows machines- bugs, os slowing down, malware etc..

If in your country there is certified refurbished or open box, it is worth looking at, you can get potentially 300-400 bucks off on a machine that has been used barely a few days.

I replaced my 2008 MacBook Pro (never had a Mac before 2008 BTW) with a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 (using it now to type this). I do agree they are pricey but I also have 2 Windows laptops. They should have lowered the M1 prices when they released the M2.

I'm going to use my standard reply as to why people use Apple products (like iPhones)...they just work. They don't crash, they dont have startup issues, you don't grimace deleting an app because you wonder if it will wipe out some shared library, it never has issues connecting to wifi no matter where I am, it never needs rebooting. When there is a free OS upgrade you don't even backup your stuff because you assume it will just work without screwing you over.

Unfortunately for Windows or Android depending upon the vendor's hardware incompatibilities may cause headaches.

Apple products are like Sony playstations...they designed all the hardware so they know what can cause problems. There isn't 10 million variations.

Last edited:
Apple's net assets account for only half of its annual profits. I'm wondering what happens if Apple's sales stop growing or decline? Aren't you guys worried about it becoming the next GE?

The fact that it even survived 10 years means that it was worth it. If you look at all windows options provided with aluminium/metal body you will see they are not much cheaper than a macbook. The plastic ones will start disentegrating after 3-4 years, not to mention issues that come with all windows machines- bugs, os slowing down, malware etc..

Yeah I was looking at this video and you aren't saving much. You really have to look to find one.

Apple's net assets account for only half of its annual profits. I'm wondering what happens if Apple's sales stop growing or decline? Aren't you guys worried about it becoming the next GE?

Well they only have $55B in cash while two years ago they had $110B. Their 2022 revenue was $400B and profit $100B.

They certainly do throw a lot of money into bonuses and R&D. But to stay profitable they have to gamble on cutting edge tech research finding a new winner product like the iPod or iPhone.

I certainly don't think Apple Vision is it.

Well they only have $55B in cash while two years ago they had $110B. Their 2022 revenue was $400B and profit $100B.

They certainly do throw a lot of money into bonuses and R&D. But to stay profitable they have to gamble on cutting edge tech research finding a new winner product like the iPod or iPhone.

I certainly don't think Apple Vision is it.
This is exactly the same as GE's approach.

What if Apple meets sales stop growing or decline?

This is exactly the same as GE's approach.

What if Apple meets sales stop growing or decline?

Ok, so if they didn't spend money on R&D and sales stopped growing how is all this cash supposed to help them in the long term?

They are going to have to use it at some point on R&D to regain back marketshare. Unless you think they should sell at a loss and hope they have enough money to stick it out while their competitors go out of business trying to match it. You are just going to get hit with a price-dumping anti-trust suit.

Back
Top Bottom