What's new

Afzal Guru hanged

Hanging kasab was easy since he was a pakistani national but hanging guru in an extremely and I mean EXTREMELY bold step by the government, this is something which can bring some ramifications.

I personally feel the government is preparing the foundation to hang Rajiv Gandhi killers (3 of them).

At the same time, this also shows what you can do when you have the political will.

Yaar you say you are Journalist and you don't know what are trusted sources.

1. Facebook Page ? :rofl:
2. Hamid Mir ? A Pakistani Journalist ? :rofl:
3. Arundhati Roy ? She criticizes very thing, An Attention Seeker.:rofl:

4. Omar Abdullah said that The decision took too long. Delayed action creates doubts. You have to realize the incident happened in 2001 and given Death Sentence in 2005 and it took 8 years to hang him. This alienate youth of Kashmir and gives room to J&K political parties to alienate people.

Seriously, You guys have to learn to be rational, not emotional.

Yaar you say you are Journalist and you don't know what are trusted sources.

1. Facebook Page ? :rofl:
2. Hamid Mir ? A Pakistani Journalist ? :rofl:
3. Arundhati Roy ? She criticizes very thing, An Attention Seeker.:rofl:

4. Omar Abdullah said that The decision took too long. Delayed action creates doubts. You have to realize the incident happened in 2001 and given Death Sentence in 2005 and it took 8 years to hang him. This alienate youth of Kashmir and gives room to J&K political parties to alienate people.

Seriously, You guys have to learn to be rational, not emotional.

Very difficult considering our history with the place. But I do my best to be as neutral as possible when raising the issue. You don't want me to raise the issue at all though...

Very difficult considering our history with the place. But I do my best to be as neutral as possible when raising the issue. You don't want me to raise the issue at all though...
Raising issue requires trusted and credible reports.

Do you doubt Supreme Court Judgement and believe in Arundhati Roy, Hamid Mir and Facebook posters ?

Even Omar ABdullah said the delay creates problem. He meant the hanging should have been done way earlier.

Raise issues but kindly back it up with good facts and figures.

Why don't see the confession of Afzhal in a video posted on the thread. Will you trust that confession or not ?

The chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir state has criticised the secretive hanging of Afzal Guru, a Kashmiri militant sentenced to death over the 2001 attack on the Indian parliament.

Omar Abdullah also questioned why Guru "wasn't given the opportunity to see his family for the last time".

Mr Abdullah said the execution was likely to "fuel a feeling of alienation among the Kashmiri youth".

Guru was hanged on Saturday after his final clemency plea was rejected.

He had been on death row since 2002 and was executed at Tihar jail in Delhi.

Guru had always denied plotting the attack, which left 14 dead, including five militants.

Security has been stepped up across India and an indefinite curfew is in place in Indian-administered Kashmir, where news of the execution sparked protests. One man was killed during protests on Sunday.

Until recently, executions were rarely carried out in India.

But Guru's hanging was the second in the last three months - Mohammed Ajmal Qasab, the sole surviving attacker from the 2008 Mumbai attacks, was executed in November in a prison in the western city of Pune.

'Selective execution'
In an interview to news channel CNN-IBN, Mr Abdullah said India would have to prove to the world that Guru's hanging was not "a selective execution".

"I had a premonition that Afzal Guru's execution would follow Ajmal Qasab's execution. I had a sense that Afzal Guru would be executed sooner rather than later. Generations of Kashmiris will identify with Afzal Guru.

"You will have to prove to the world that the death penalty is not used selectively. The onus rests on the judiciary and the political leadership to show that this wasn't a selective execution," he said.

Mr Abdullah said he was concerned over the Indian government not following the rulebook while carrying out the execution.

He said it was a "tragedy" that Guru was not allowed to meet his family before he was hanged and not allowed a "final farewell".

"If we are going to inform someone by post that his family member is going to be hanged, there is something seriously wrong with the system," he said.

The authorities, however, have denied not following the rules. "This is only about the law taking its course," Home Secretary RK Singh said.

Pakistan-backed attack?
Meanwhile, hundreds of police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in towns and cities across Indian-administered Kashmir to try to contain any unrest sparked by the execution.

Claimed in its entirety by both India and Pakistan, Kashmir has been a flashpoint for more than 60 years and two wars have been fought over it.

The December 2001 attack was one of the most controversial incidents in recent Indian history, correspondents say.

The 2001 attack left 14 people, including five militants, dead
Five rebels stormed India's parliament in Delhi on 13 December 2001, killing a gardener and eight policemen before they were shot dead by security forces.

India blamed the attack on the Jaish-e-Mohammed militant group, which it said was backed by Pakistan.

Pakistan denied involvement in the attack but relations between the two countries nosedived as their armies massed about a million troops along the border.

Afzal Guru, a former fruit merchant, was one of two men sentenced to death for helping to plan the attack, although the sentence of Shaukat Hussain was later reduced on appeal to 10 years in jail.

Guru was found guilty of arranging weapons for the attackers and of membership of Jaish-e-Mohammed, both of which he denied.

Two other people accused in the case, SAR Geelani and Afsan Guru, were acquitted due to a lack of evidence.

Afzal Guru's appeal was first refused by the Supreme Court and then the president.
BBC News - Afzal Guru: Kashmir's Omar Abdullah criticises hanging

Guru’s execution affects Sarabjit’s mercy appeal
By Rana Tanveer
Published: February 11, 2013
LAHORE: The execution of Mohammad Afzal Guru not only brings bad news for Kashimiris who believe that the suspected militant was framed, but also casts doubts over the future of an Indian prisoner held in Pakistan.
Now after over two decades of wait, Sarabjit Singh’s family seems to be losing hope.
In a telephonic conversation with The Express Tribune Sarabjit’s sister Dalbeer Kaur, stated that the family now feared that Guru’s execution will heighten tensions between the countries and Sarabjit might never be allowed to come back to India.

“Both the countries should act wisely and Pakistan should not respond hastily,” she said.
Kaur added that both the governments had released prisoners in the past which should be continued to overcome the trust deficit between the states.
Kaur deemed the execution inhumane, pledging to protest against the Indian government’s decision to hang Guru. “I raised my voice for the release of Dr Khalil Chishti and now I will protest for Guru”.
“If only Guru’s case was thoroughly investigated he would not have been hanged,” she said adding that there were serious discrepancies in the investigations.
She said that in cases such as these the accused are usually given a benefit of doubt but in the case of India and Pakistan, these accused persons are only tried as citizens of an enemy state.
“This is a murder on behalf of the government…He could have been sentenced for life. What message does the government want to send”?
Meanwhile, Sarabjit’s counsel Advocate Awais Sheikh maintained that the Indian government did not hang Guru on the pretext that he was a Pakistani. He added that since Guru was a Kashmiri the right wing parties of Pakistan should not demand Sarabjit to be hanged as a response to Guru’s execution.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 11th, 2013.

At least two dead in Indian-administered Kashmir
AP | 1 min ago
SRINAGAR: Government forces are enforcing a rigid curfew for the third straight day in Indian-administered Kashmir after India executed a Kashmiri man convicted in a deadly 2001 attack on Parliament.

Mohammed Afzal Guru was hanged in New Delhi on Saturday. Ahead of the execution, authorities had ordered people in most of the Indian-administered part of disputed Kashmir to remain indoors indefinitely in anticipation of anti-India protests.

Despite the curfew, hundreds of angry residents have clashed with the troops in the region.

A young boy injured in anti-India protests died in a hospital early Monday. Another protester died late Sunday.

Cable television and mobile Internet services were shut in most parts of the region on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom