What's new

Afghanistan Redux

RescueRanger

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Classic example of 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' behavior in international politics.

Very opportunistic and extremely immoral.

US and Taliban join forces to battle ISIS in Afghanistan after disastrous withdrawal: report​

@jhungary thoughts would be appreciated.

Interesting. Seems the Taliban evolved to learn to pull different levers in International relations.

US and Taliban join forces to battle ISIS in Afghanistan after disastrous withdrawal: report​

@jhungary thoughts would be appreciated.
Let me redirect you to a different news, if you read that between the line, then you would know what's happening in Afghanistan now.

UN is very close to being recognize Taliban as the official government of Afghanistan. Which mean whatever anyone want to do anything in Afghanistan, they would have to communicate with the Taliban. Other than another coalition of willing try to get back in and clear the problem themselves, which is not going to happen unless Taliban strike the US, UK or EU. That mean they are going to have to work with Taliban somewhere down the road if they want to contain ISIS-K

Threat matrix goes, ISIS always greater than the Taliban

And for the American, the solution is 1 of the 3.

1.) Don't care, then eventually ISIS-K would use it base and launch terrorist attack in the West.
2.) Care but do not work with Taliban - Too little would be able to do. You are talking about intel ops and drone strike only.
3.) Work with the Taiban - That gave them the best coverage.

Taliban wanted ISIS-K gone too, and they are not going to do well on COIN because they themselves are an insurgency, they don't have the formation and know how to deal with ISIS-K, so either Taliban sit idle and do nothing and let ISIS-K take over them and do a mosul on them. Or they would need to work with someone to get rid of them. May as well be the American.

But that is just what I thought, this article coming from NYT, it may not be as accurate as it was, but if this is true, then that's my take on the issue.

Back
Top Bottom