What's new

A Land Of Promise: As illegal migrants pour into Karachi, who keeps count?

Khan seeing that we're having such a bout of patriotism what would you say about Pakistan borrowing from India the policy on not letting any Pakistani hold another Nationality ?

As in dual citizenship? I thought Pakistan didn't allow this, not sure what exactly you're trying to say, please elaborate.

As in dual citizenship? I thought Pakistan didn't allow this, not sure what exactly you're trying to say, please elaborate.

Just building upon the 'Pakistan is for Pakistanis' thing ! Where should we draw the line ? If we should kick out someone from Pakistan whose been here for decades instead of naturalizing them shouldn't we also kick out someone who takes up a nationality other than (in addition to) his/her Pakistani one !

Oye...just saw the 'location flags' - So it ain't aimed at you so don't misconstrue me, rora ! :oops:

Just building upon the 'Pakistan is for Pakistanis' thing ! Where should we draw the line ? If we should kick out someone from Pakistan whose been here for decades instead of naturalizing them shouldn't we also kick out someone who takes up a nationality other than (in addition to) his/her Pakistani one !

Well, there is something called a "diaspora", and it comes in handy. Not sure if you can kick them out when they are already abroad but if you want to disown them then certainly do so. Would it benefit the nation of origin? Not at all since it would lose influence.

For example, people from Nation A immigrate (legally) to Nation B and live and abide by the laws of their host nation, work and send back remittance to their families thus benefiting their nation of origin's economy as well as contributing to the economy of their host nation, also they can act as a cultural bridge between the two nations.

Oye...just saw the 'location flags' - So it ain't aimed at you so don't misconstrue me, rora ! :oops:

If you say so, though i wouldn't be surprised if it were the reason.

Well, there is something called a "diaspora", and it comes in handy. Not sure if you can kick them out when they are already abroad but if you want to disown them then certainly do so. Would it benefit the nation of origin? Not at all since it would lose influence.

For example, people from Nation A immigrate (legally) to Nation B and live and abide by the laws of their host nation, work and send back remittance to their families thus benefiting their nation of origin's economy as well as contributing to the economy of their host nation, also they can act as a cultural bridge between the two nations.

Of course they can & thats why the Indians have a Non-Resident Indian (or something) status for them ! I'm simply trying to build upon the argument ! If the barometer of loyalty is to be taken into consideration then I'd say a Burmese, a Bengali, an Afghan or a Sudanese living right here in Pakistan owning up to the problems of Pakistan as his own is more deserving of that nationality than a dual national sitting in Birmingham.

However because in all fairness because I couldn't bear to give out certificates of loyalty, conversely I wouldn't be able to tell an Afghan or a Burmese or a Bengali who was either born here or has called Pakistan his/her home for the better part of a few decades that he is not one of my own. In the market near my place there lives an Afghan whose been here for the past 33 years, his sons & his daughters were born here, one of them even got married here to a Pakistani. And yet none of them (except the married one) are Pakistani Nationals & they are dirt poor to bribe someone at NADRA (or wherever) to get one. I can't begin to tell you with how much pride his boys are rooting for Pakistan whenever we play....surprisingly even in preference to Afghanistan. I'm sure one would find Bengalis & Burmese in Karachi with a similar disposition. I say lets identify those that can be identified, those that were born of this land & take them in legally too. Do we identify all the good ones ? I know we won't be able to but do we abandon it altogether because of the inconvenience & pass over all those who deserve to be called Pakistanis ? I'm not brave enough to answer that conundrum.

If you say so, though i wouldn't be surprised if it were the reason.

Not it wasn't ! My own brother is a dual national & if I was having a dig at someone...I'd start with him. I was just trying to build up on the argument, I do apologize if it came across as 'accusatory' for that was not my intent. I've interacted enough times with you to know that you're a more loyal son of Pakistan than I am, rora. And we're lucky to have you.

Back
Top Bottom