What's new

73-year-old biscuit pioneer, Parle-G becomes India’s first homegrown Rs 5K

parleg.jpg

That boy/girl on the packet hasn't changed for ages, i remember it from my very early childhood memories. Only thing that has changed perhaps is the packing, the plastic packaging today used to be in somekind of butterpaper (type) wrap until about late 90s.

19.jpg

4662389642_6b0e42cf93_z.jpg

After NCC parade in my school, the evening snack (nashta) used to be one small pack of Parle G, 1 samosa and sometimes a Banana. Now there is no school, no NCC (joined PDF instead :P), someone told about cholestrol so very rarely samosa, good old Parle G is still around (& thank God for that).

All have similar stories with so many commonalities.

Its like a part of student culture rather than just a product.

@ KRAITDuring first semester of my mechanical engineering, one of my seniors gave me a Guru Gyan (the ones given by Tunn.. people during ragging :lol:). He said,
Beta,
Bina Daaru ke kisi ney Ishq nahi kiya,
Bina (R S) khurmi ke koi mechanical Engineer nahi bana aur
Bina Photocopy ke kisi ney major project poora nahi kiya

Its been a long time since i left college, but reading the comments today on this thread i realized i was not alone.

All have similar stories with so many commonalities. :D

Its like a part of student culture rather than just a product.

You should also check out how Parle-G is sold in US in most of the Indian stores. Lot of folks buy a pack of 20 for about 2$. It is usually on your grocery list there.

@anant_s True brother. All those seniors who took ragging, treated us like brothers after Fresher's Party. My entire project of Computer Engineering for a semester was made by my senior who took my ragging the most. :D

Many took crash course classes for exaination preparation as we were always busy in wasting time. We never had to give them money for the ciggs the borrowed from them, I used to go to my seniors and asking them for tea, coffee and ciggs.

We all were with them during their campus placement providing them tea, sandwiches etc. late night while they were waiting for their interviews.

What they did for us, we did for our juniors.

I think its a great culture in Engineering colleges.

Last edited by a moderator:
This biscuit is a case study for marketing & distribution.

This is the staple ' snack/ meal' on the move, for the poor man and so much more.

In places where you won't find water to drink in a road side shop - you'll find Parle-G.

@anant_s True brother. All those seniors who took ragging, treated us like brothers after Fresher's Party. My entire project of Computer Engineering for a semester was made by my senior who took my ragging the most. :D

Many took crash course classes for exaination preparation as we were always busy in wasting time. We never had to give them money for the ciggs the borrowed from them, I used to go to my seniors and asking them for tea, coffee and ciggs.

We all were with them during their campus placement providing them tea, sandwiches etc. late night while they were waiting for their interviews.

What they did for us, we did for our juniors.

I think its a great culture in Engineering colleges.

It was a family outside our parents and siblings for 4 years that one spends away from home. The moral and emotional support they had given us (remember lines before a tough paper, Arey kuch nahi yaar, Phod kar ayega or after faling in some subject, Arey chod yaar, Chal Daru/Cigg/Chai petey hain :rolleyes:), i so miss it in today's cruel corporate world.

This biscuit is a case study for marketing & distribution.

This is the staple ' snack/ meal' on the move, for the poor man and so much more.

In places where you won't find water to drink in a road side shop - you'll find Parle-G.

Infact they distribute the same after blood donation as well, so theres substance also.

Last edited by a moderator:
who own parle G brits or indian now a days n in the time of independence?

Extracts from Wiki..

Parle-G or Parle Glucose is a brand of biscuits manufactured by Parle Products in India. As of 2011, it is the largest selling brand of biscuits in the world according to Nielsen.

Parle Products was established in the Vile Parle suburb of Mumbai, in 1929. It began manufacturing biscuits in 1939. In 1947, when India became independent, the company launched an ad campaign, showcasing its Gluco brand of biscuits as an Indian alternative to the British biscuits.

Parle-G biscuits were earlier called 'Parle Gluco' Biscuits until 1980s. The "G" in the name Parle-G originally stood for "Glucose", though a later brand slogan also stated "G means Genius".

In 2013, Parle-G became India's first domestic FMCG brand to cross the INR 5,000 crore in retail sales.

Marketing

Primarily eaten as a tea-time snack, Parle-G is one of the oldest brand names in India. For decades, the product was instantly recognized by its iconic white and yellow wax paper wrapper with the depiction of a young girl on the front. The Brand Trust Report, published by Trust Research Advisory in 2011, ranked Parle in the 58th place as the Most Trusted brands of India.

As of January 2013, Parle-G's strong distribution network covered over 6 million retail stores in India.

The low price is another important factor in Parle-G's popularity. Outside India, it is sold for 99 cents for a 418 gram pack as of 2012. A more common 80 gram "snack pack" is sold for as low as 15 cents at Indian grocers, and 40 cents at major retailers.

Back
Top Bottom