What's new

Zhang Dejiang replaces Bo Xilai as Chongqing Party chief

Sasquatch

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
China
Zhang Dejiang has been appointed Party chief of Chongqing, replacing Bo Xilai, according to a decision of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee announced Thursday.

Bo will no longer serve as secretary, standing committee member or member of the CPC Chongqing municipal committee.

The decision was announced by Li Yuanchao, head of the Organization Department of the CPC Central Committee, at a meeting of officials in Chongqing on Thursday, according to a report on xinhuanet.com.

Li said the CPC Central Committee made the decision after discreet consideration and based on current circumstances and the overall situation.

Zhang delivered a speech at the meeting of Chongqing officials, according to xinhuanet.com.

Zhang, born in November 1946, is a native of Tai'an, Liaoning province. He became a member of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee in 2002 and began serving as vice premier of the State Council, China's Cabinet, from 2008.

Zhang had previously served as Party chief in Jilin, Zhejiang and Guangdong provinces, respectively, between 1995 and 2007.

Where would you guys place Bo Xilai on the political spectrum? American media is saying that the Chinese liberals are happy with this news because Bo Xilai is a leftist. But reading the description of his actions, he seems more like a populist to me. Obviously his father was hard-core leftist, but not sure about Bo Xilai.

What do you guys figure was the reason for his removal?

Where would you guys place Bo Xilai on the political spectrum? American media is saying that the Chinese liberals are happy with this news because Bo Xilai is a leftist. But reading the description of his actions, he seems more like a populist to me. Obviously his father was hard-core leftist, but not sure about Bo Xilai.

He's both. The populist ideals are leftist. He's being removed because of his populist route to power.

anyone that dont kiss upto foreigners(especially whites) is the right leader.
As far as I know, most top level Chinese leaders have their children abroad. I think this is unacceptable.

The guy is too flamboyant in style. In Chinese politics, you have to keep your head down to survive. Plus the fact that his subordinate Wang Lijun attempted to defect is the final straw that broke Bo's back.

His ego and ambition to reach to the top.

The most important is that his route for China is totally different from what Deng set up 30 years ago.

We China does not want another culture revolution. With him, we probably have another one if he were succeed in taking the leadership role.

Is it possible that Wang Lijun "defection" was planned by Bo Xilai political rivals?
Wang Lijun would not be stupid enough to let himself be played like that. It's pretty obvious what was going on. Bo Xilai attempted to purge Wang Lijun, then Wang decided to run to the Amercian embassy with evidence incriminating Bo (A downside of political system in China without independent watchdog). Now Bo landed himself in the shitter.

Look at the Chinese kids here discussing their rulers as if they know anything. :hitwall:

His ego and ambition to reach to the top.

The most important is that his route for China is totally different from what Deng set up 30 years ago.

We China does not want another culture revolution. With him, we probably have another one if he were succeed in taking the leadership role.

the idea that any Chinese political leader can launch a Cultural Revolution is preposterous and the 40 year olds paranoid of the Cultural Revolution are just like Jews crying about Holocaust or blacks crying about racism.

"Hey, your car is blocking mine, can you move it?"
"Is it 'cuz I'm black? If I wuz white, you wouldn't be talkin' to me 'bout no moving cars huh? Martin Lutha King gave him life fo' me to get the freedom to not move my car for the color of my skin! I ain't movin' my car!"

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom