What's new

Young Taiwanese need to read Western history on secession and reunification

Civil disobedience movement in Taiwan is a minority segment of the nation, please do not think that Taiwanese people, in general, are sympathetic to this. Taiwanese society is very stoic, in general. I am speaking as one who has been to Taiwan plenty of times, with plenty of friends and associates in Taiwan. Taiwanese society is very conformist , similar and akin to Japanese society and traditional Chinese society in the Mainland. This concept of revolutionism and popular protest is something that is supported by a very minority few in Taiwan. From reading your post it seems to me that you have not been to Taiwan or have very very limited exposure to Taiwanese society on a first hand basis. Probably your knowledge or exposure of Taiwan is based on propagandistic information from rabble rousers.

Please do not feed to the propaganda of rabble rousers (from both sides of the Straits). Have your own research and not simply rely on the feedings of rabble rousers.

Take Care.

I've being to Taiwan few years ago, tour guide Jie阿杰 is very proud of Taiwan's democracy, he told me he will campaign for Roc president in 2012 when I first arrived,but before I left I mention it again(I was joking If he won he must serve me with a plane), he stunned for a while,and remembered then.
And…
minority?
minority prevented majority,LOL,that's western-democracy work!
I saw minority sit in government, I saw minority kidnaped public opinion,act of government, election,etc
You said you have Taiwan friends? I give you some keywords,you can ask them the real meaning:22k,426,689,大腸花,9趴,服貿,黑箱,白狼

Last edited:
Today, whether Taiwan likes it or not, Taiwan is being slowly "absorbed and enmeshed" with China's economy. The Chinese leaders know that, they will just sit and wait. There is no need to do anything rash. For every passing day, China is getting stronger economically, politically and militarily. No need to worry about Taiwan, there are other more important things to worry about.

Taiwan has no where to go, its future depends on Mainland period. Both economies are integrated with each other and cooperation will only increase. It's being pulled into Mainland's sphere of influence as we speak. Since the last Taiwan Strait crisis no one dared to try that prank again while China's strength has multiplied in the past 2 decades. The fact US shall never share submarine tech with or selling F-35 to our renegade province speaks volume. Mainland doesn't have to use force as long as they keep their sanity intact. They even have to accommodate China by using "Chinese Taipei" in the Olympics and as a joining member of AIIB. Taiwan is Mainland's little gem, lots of tech companies and ranking 5th of the most patent holder, lots of forex and we have plenty of agents infiltrated inside their defence ;).

I agree with both points. I expect Taiwan to be gradually absorbed and assimilated into the Beijing's rule as China's sphere of influence moves beyond the first island chain. Taiwan won't be a Mongolia because it will be surrounded all around.

But I also believe that if Taiwan's leadership tries a stunt on China, this time, they will be punished (perhaps selectively) severely by China. They will not e able to play trick on China and get away from it unscathed. Maybe a limited operation will decimate Taiwan's defenses and it will be militarily surrounded even if not taken over.

As for the debate between @Nihonjin1051 and @YoucanYouup , yes, technically, Taiwan has certain historical elements in its governance model; in that sense, it is unique. But which two systems are exactly the same?

Ideologiacally (and increasingly, culturally), Taiwan has been loosing whatever identity it may have and becoming a sort of bastardized area. I am talking about the Western influence. It is hard to quantify, but, you feel it, people's point of view and outlook is being heavily influenced by Western ideologies. Western offices and missionaries are working 24/7.

In that regard, no, Taiwan does not represent the Chinese culture as perfectly as the Mainland area does. Even architecturally, Taiwan is a midget in terms of historic-preservation. Whatever museum stuff Taiwan may have, they are the ones looted from the Mainland. But that's fine. You can read 2500 years old exam papers in the museum.

Taiwan lacks China's ideological revitalization; this is the thing that makes you equal in the world stage. Taiwan is a pariah state; if not a vassal (because China limits global political influence on Taiwan).

Last edited:
I advocate for reunification but provocative posts like this do not help anyone.

you can only win hearts with hearts.

just be friendly, so Taiwanese people can feel it and see that we are not threats. and explain to them how reunification will benefit both sides.

yes the West has a big influence, but people are not dumb. I believe that they'll eventually make the right choice.

I advocate for reunification but provocative posts like this do not help anyone.

just be friendly, so Taiwanese people can feel it and see that we are not threats. and explain to them how reunification will benefit both sides.

yes the West has a big influence, but people are not dumb. I believe that they'll eventually make the right choice.

There is no threat, I guess. If there was no friendship, so much people to people interaction and economic integration would not have been possible. Whatever disagreements there is, it is political. Political disagreements are to be solved at the negotiation table.

What both sides do not need is foreign intervention.

Hence, whichever of the two sides invites foreign intervention is the one who does not want peace and is the real trouble-makers. No mercy for those as those people/groups/interests are inherently anti-China regardless of geographic location.

22k,426,689,大腸花,9趴,服貿,黑箱,白狼
You really get the essence of their local politics.

@YoucanYouup let me add some key words, 柯p,小确幸,大巨蛋,美河市,漂流木(the weirdest news ever, so negligible but talked and talked every day rather then serious discussions on AIIB)......

We are no threat to Taiwan, but the Taiwanese regime is a threat to us since they simply cannot stop to conspire against us with our enemies.

We have lost so many classified information from those Taiwanese spies.

Yeah, they are our 'brothers' who always to love to assist the foreigners by backstabbing us.

Sun Yat Sen would feel ashamed if he saw the sun flower movement and those political leaders trying to separate with Mainland. The one China policy is a reminder that the stronger Mainland is the legitimate government while KMT lost the battle and betrayed the Chinese people. Time is the element here, and it's drawing to our favor. We shall execute our weiqi pieces well planned as the game progresses.

Sun Yat Sen would feel ashamed if he saw the sun flower movement and those political leaders trying to separate with Mainland. The one China policy is a reminder that the stronger Mainland is the legitimate government while KMT lost the battle and betrayed the Chinese people. Time is the element here, and it's drawing to our favor. We shall execute our weiqi pieces well planned as the game progresses.
Especially when they still hang his portrait on the wall of the parliament of ROC.
They don't have the guts to abandon ROC, anyway, ROC is China as REPUBLIC OF CHINA.
Total losers. I will appreciate if they dare to change their name on the passport from REPUBLIC OF CHINA to anything, say Hokkien Republic?
Have mercy on Hakka and aboriginal ethnic groups.

Back
Top Bottom