you still want musharaff back?

Rafael

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
September 19, 2005
[B]Musharraf says rape easy way to Canada[/B]

Good thing Musharraf is so moderate. Imagine what he would say if he were an "extremist."

"Report: Musharraf says rape easy way to Canada," from Reuters, with thanks to all who sent this in:

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (Reuters) -- Outrage mounted in Pakistan and abroad on Friday over President Pervez Musharraf's comment that many Pakistanis felt that crying rape was an easy way to make money and move to Canada.
Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin has already condemned the remarks made by Musharraf, who is in the United States having addressed the U.N. General Assembly on Wednesday.

London-based rights group Amnesty International said Musharraf should apologize, and newspapers back home decried their leader's attitude.

Musharraf told the Washington Post in an interview published on Tuesday that Pakistan should not be singled out on rape issues as other countries had the same problems.

"You must understand the environment in Pakistan ... This has become a money-making concern. A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped," the Post quoted Musharraf as saying....Musharraf, according to media reports, told a news conference in New York on Thursday that he had been expressing a commonly held opinion rather than his own....

Mukhtaran Mai, now an icon for human rights in Pakistan, was gang-raped three years ago on the orders of a village council after her brother, then 12, was judged to have befriended a woman of a powerful clan.

Earlier this year Musharraf blocked Mai from traveling to the United States to attend a women's rights conference, but later lifted the ban after international criticism including from the U.S. government.

Mai told Reuters she was pained by Musharraf's comments in the United States.

"Nobody does it intentionally. A large number of women are molested and insulted in the country. How many of them have made money?," she said. "Such thinking about women is not good."

Posted by Robert at September 19, 2005 8:15 AM

Musharraf's remarks on rapes criticized - The Boston Globe

I am posting this news just to let some of my friends know the truth about musharaff and how he represented the women of pakistan in international media....some people here want him back...a person who has disgraced women of pakistan.....I dont want him back...I know this is an old news but just to show his true face, I have posted it again....

He didn't say that, he was mocking the fact that rape victims from PAkistan were being flown to western countries, why? Rape is not unique to Pakistan!

"You must understand the environment in Pakistan ... This has become a money-making concern. A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped," the Post quoted Musharraf as saying....

what does that mean asim bhai?...

ONE WORD --> YES!!

Raheel, this is the lowest of lows I have ever seen, by one individual to defame another.

He referred this to Bara Mai or what ever her name is. She paraded herself in the west, getting awards, financial aid and dual nationality for portraying Pakistani men and the nation as some barbaric country.

He was absolutely right, at that moment in time it was becoming big business to cry foul. Even so today, certain groups claiming to sell their children to get "free" money from the government.

Last edited:
ONE WORD --> YES!!

Raheel, this is the lowest of lows I have ever seen, by one individual to defame another.

He referred this to Bara Mai or what ever her name is. She paraded herself in the west, getting awards, financial aid and dual nationality for portraying Pakistani men and the nation as some barbaric country.

He was absolutely right, at that moment in time it was becoming big business to cry foul. Even so today, certain groups claiming to sell their children to get "free" money from the government.

Is it pointed at me?

Anywways...what wrong she did?...If a girl has been gang raped...she asks for justice but its not there for her because she does not have money and the rapist are infleuntial in the area...and she decides to fight with the system and tells her story to the media and NGOs....and becomes spotlight of the world media for the injustice that has been done to her....what wrong she did?

If the the courts and judiciary of the country did not give her the justice that she deserved just because she was poor,....than I am sorry to say but the nation is barbaric indeed.

^^^or you are telling me that she asked the men to rape her so that she could go to canada?

^^^or you are telling me that she asked the men to rape her so that she could go to canada?

The point is she felt proud of what had happened to her. Proudly, spoke of it on western TV. For what, a few bucks?

She did this not once or twice but on numerous occasions, went on to portray Pakistan's image as some barbaric country. I'm by no means defending what the men did to her and I believe they should be punished as did Gen. Musharraf. And, they were punished but this is no reason to be paraded around the world. This issue was an internal matter of Pakistan.

Question, are Indian victims paraded around the world as she was or did willingly?

The point is she felt proud of what had happened to her. Proudly, spoke of it on western TV. For what, a few bucks?

She did this not once or twice but on numerous occasions, went on to portray Pakistan's image as some barbaric country. I'm by no means defending what the men did to her and I believe they should be punished as did Gen. Musharraf. And, they were punished but this is no reason to be paraded around the world. This issue was an internal matter of Pakistan.

Question, are Indian victims paraded around the world as she was or did willingly?

I think what she is proud of is she had to courage to do something about it,, and if it had not made the national news nothing would have been done about it... and what she is doing now is calling attentiion to rape,, honor killings, and barbaric practices like burying young girls alive...

Far as I am concearned more power to her...

Musharaff punished them only after world media got involved in it, in other words pressure made him to react.

Secondly, Nobody feels proud of being raped... and yess she spoke to International media several times...is it a crime? after all it all became spotlight in world and if media tries and wants to know the facts....whats wrong in it?

and most importantly she did not asked for canadian nationality and money..all she asked for was justice.

^^^ and we are not discussing here about her, we are talking about musharaff...who meant that it has become a trend in pakistani women to get themselves raped and ask for canadian nationality....

Bas***d

I think he was just carried away by emotions because the lady was being the reason Pakistan would be painted in gray shades by western media. So it will be too much to draw conclusions like "he has defamed Pak women" etc...

Please refrain from such comments. The thread almost always derails after the name "India" is involved. Dunno why, but it's a fact!

I think what she is proud of is she had to courage to do something about it,, and if it had not made the national news nothing would have been done about it... and what she is doing now is calling attentiion to rape,, honor killings, and barbaric practices like burying young girls alive...

Far as I am concearned more power to her...

I have nothing wrong with it making national news but the way she portrayed Pakistan in the west and spoke of Pakistan in a manner which is unacceptable. Not all women in Pakistan are treated in that manner as she claimed in her interview.

I think he was just carried away by emotions because the lady was being the reason Pakistan would be painted in gray shades by western media. So it will be too much to draw conclusions like "he has defamed Pak women" etc...

Please refrain from such comments. The thread almost always derails after the name "India" is involved. Dunno why, but it's a fact!

we are talking about a President of the country, not about any tom, dick or harry....had this been done in any western country..he would have been sacked before he takes next flight home.

I have nothing wrong with it making national news but the way she portrayed Pakistan in the west and spoke of Pakistan in a manner which is unacceptable. Not all women in Pakistan are treated in that manner as she claimed in her interview.

For heavanse sake, she had been raped....and deprived of justice...do you expect one to sing anthems?

For heavanse sake, she had been raped....and deprived of justice...do you expect one to sing anthems?

She was not deprived of justice. The men involved were punished! Heck, the government gave her shelter, financial support and other NGOs also provided relief.

Back
Top Bottom