What's new

'Yeh dil maange more': Narendra Modi uses Kargil martyr's phrase, upsets his family

janon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
'Yeh dil maange more': Narendra Modi uses Kargil martyr's phrase, upsets his family | NDTV.com

Palampur: Campaigning in Palampur, the Himachal Pradesh hometown of Kargil martyr Vikram Batra today, Narendra Modi borrowed his famous catch-phrase to ask for votes: "Yeh Dil Maange More!"

Captain Batra's family was not impressed. "BJP must not drag his name into politics," said his father, GL Batra.

His mother, Kamal Kanta Batra, the Aam Aadmi Party candidate from neighboring Hamirpur, suggested that Mr Modi withdraw the BJP candidate against her "if he feels so indebted to martyrs."

Mr Modi, the BJP's prime ministerial candidate said in Palampur, "I want your best wishes. I want to serve you. You've given them (Congress) 60 years. Can't you give me 60 months? Yeh dil maange more! Give me 60 months."

"Where will more Vikram Batras come from?" he asked, accusing the Congress of betraying India's soldiers.

At another rally in the state, Mr Modi said, "Vikram Batra died for the country - he had said - yeh dil maange more. I say it too. I want all four seats in Himachal. I want 300 lotuses across India."

Captain Batra famously used the phrase from an ad campaign in an interview to NDTV, before he died fighting the 1999 Kargil war. He was 24.

In Hamirpur, known for its large concentration of ex-servicemen and serving soldiers, Capt Batra's 66-year-old mother makes her electoral debut against the BJP's prominent MP Anurag Thakur and Rajinder Singh Rana, of the Congress.

To the family's challenge that Mr Modi should withdraw its candidate against Mr Batra, the BJP's Meenakshi Lekhi said, "Mrs Batra should have joined the BJP before contesting the polls against Anurag Thakur." (read: Kargil hero Vikram Batra's mother fights the ballot war)

Mrs Batra, who has been reticent about using her war hero son's name during her campaign, had told NDTV earlier, "Vikram Batra was not just my son, he belonged to the nation. It is our duty to remember him and people should support us."

Captain Batra was posthumously awarded the Param Vir Chakra, India's highest war-time gallantry award.

His mother, Kamal Kanta Batra, the Aam Aadmi Party candidate from neighboring Hamirpur, suggested that Mr Modi withdraw the BJP candidate against her "if he feels so indebted to martyrs."

That's an interesting comment, I think more interesting & much more direct than what Mr.Modi said. :)

Modi now looks to me as next OBAMA :D

So much Modi wave same as Obama wave :azn:

" Yeh dil mange More" was a campaign run by Pepsi co during late 90s, if some one has the copy right of this word, then it is Pepsi co.....
Thats alright, but I am quite sure Modi was not quoting the Pepsi ad campaign in Palampur.

Thats alright, but I am quite sure Modi was not quoting the Pepsi ad campaign in Palampur.

Right, Modi went their for campaign and mentioned the name of a brave martyred of that locality who died for his country, probably one can argue that he was 'using' the public sentiment associated with the name of the martyred, but aren't Aam Admi Party and AAP candidate Mrs. Batra doing the same thing even more blatantly? Do they really have a moral high ground here?

Right, Modi went their for campaign and mentioned the name of a brave martyred of that locality who died for his country, probably one can argue that he was 'using' the public sentiment associated with the name of the martyred, but aren't Aam Admi Party and AAP candidate Mrs. Batra doing the same thing even more blatantly? Do they really have a moral high ground here?

Not arguing what is right or wrong.Just clarifying a doubt.

wow... it's more like Capt Batra's family is playing politics in the name of their martyred son. Really sic indeed!:tdown:

Well, she has all the right to contest the election, AAP also has all the right to field her as a candidate, they can also contest the election as "The mother of martyred Capt. Batra", no problem with that, but they should not point finger at others for the things they do themselves. :)

Well, she has all the right to contest the election, AAP also has all the right to field her as a candidate, they can also contest the election as "The mother of martyred Capt. Batra", no problem with that, but they should not point finger at others for the things they do themselves. :)
Nobody is questioning her right to join any political party or contest elections. But unfortunately she is committing the same sin she accusing others of. Modi made his speech & paid tribute to the martyr by quoting his favorite line, which in fact was taken from Pepsi ad (if I'm not mistaken). It wasn't a issue at all. Now.. for martyr's family to make issue out of it, really smacks of hypocrisy! They are causing great disservice to their son!

" Yeh dil mange More" was a campaign run by Pepsi co during late 90s, if some one has the copy right of this word, then it is Pepsi co.....
Right! I don't know why such a hue and cry is being made out of this. The Congress, looking for issues, is going to latch on to this one too and blow it out of proportion. These congrASS turds are going to come down with a ton of bricks on Modi.

Mrs Batra is instead politicizing the issue, just because she's from the AAP.

Some people are really going overboard, making them look pretty silly.

Nobody is questioning her right to join any political party or contest elections. But unfortunately she is committing the same sin she accusing others of. Modi made his speech & paid tribute to the martyr by quoting his favorite line, which in fact was taken from Pepsi ad (if I'm not mistaken). It wasn't a issue at all. Now.. for martyr's family to make issue out of it, really smacks of hypocrisy! They are causing great disservice to their son!

They are creating an issue out of it because they are contesting election against a BJP candidate, and they probably see Modi's gesture of paying tribute to the martyr as a threat to the USP of their candidature. :) They probably would have appreciated him for remembering the martyr and paying tribute, only if they were not contesting against his party candidate.

Back
Top Bottom