What's new

World Cup 2015: Protests in Bangladesh over 'biased' umpiring

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
World Cup 2015: Protests in Bangladesh over 'biased' umpiring - The Times of India

DHAKA: Hundreds of Bangladesh cricket supporters Thursday burnt an effigy of Pakistani cricket umpire Aleem Dar and marched in the capital Dhaka after the country was knocked out of the World Cup.

They chanted "Shame, Shame. No to ICC conspiracy," as they shouted slogans against the umpires and the International Cricket Council after Bangladesh's best ever World Cup came to an end following a 109-run defeat against India.

Opener Rohit Sharma top-scored with 137 off 126 balls and Suresh Raina hit a rapid-fire 65 from 57 balls as India posted a daunting total of 302 in the quarterfinal in Melbourne that took the match away from Bangladesh.

But Bangladeshi fans were furious after player-of-the-match Sharma got a big break on 90 when he holed out to deep mid-wicket off Rubel Hossain, only for Dar and fellow umpire Ian Gould to signal a no-ball for what appeared to be a legitimate waist-high delivery.

Fans also protested two other decisions including a catch against Bangladesh's best batsman Mohammad Mahmudullah that snuffled out any hope for a comeback by the Tigers.

46624323.cms

Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza (left) shakes hands with Indian skipper MS Dhoni after India's 109-run World Cup quarterfinal win over Bangladesh in Melbourne. (Reuters Photo)

"The umpires were biased. We did not mind if we had been beaten legitimately. But this is pure robbery," Dhaka University student Mahmudul Hasan said after joining a protest march.

"We protest these bad decisions. The ICC should review them," Hasan, a 21-year-old student of history, said.

Another student Topu Roy, 22, held a placard that dubbed the ICC as the 'Indian Cricket Council', not International Cricket Council.

"It was India's money that forced the ICC to work against us. So it's fair to call it Indian Cricket Council," he said.

"Bangladesh is a victim of international conspiracy," another protester shouted, as live footage of the protests were broadcast live.

Local police chief Saidul Haq said up to 300 protesters joined the march at the University.

"They also burnt an effigy of the Pakistani umpire," he said. Facebook and Twitter were flooded with comments on the "biased" decisions although most also applauded the Tigers for their best ever World Cup performance.

"What we saw today, on three separate occasions, was the Bangladesh team denied a fair hearing," wrote a Shayan S. Khan in a Facebook posting.

"I'll just talk about the no-ball, since that was the most blatant, and probably the most influential decision," he added

"What naked partiality!!! Shame on you!!! said Andrew Biraj.

if you lose by 109 I doubt you was cheated you just got beat bad.
You can't be reasonable here. Add in some conspiracy to gain some acceptance.
Do you understand/follow cricket?

You can't be reasonable here. Add in some conspiracy to gain some acceptance.
Do you understand/follow cricket?
I don't really follow it. like I really don't follow soccer either but I always watch international events like the World Cup.

I get the gist of how cricket is played. I was watching the game last night on a stream, but it died before I got to see Bangladesh bat.

losing by over a 100 in cricket is like equalivent of losing by 5-6 runs in baseball??? 30 points in basketball??? 17 to 21 points in football???

losing by over a 100 in cricket is like equalivent of losing by 5-6 runs in baseball??? 30 points in basketball??? 17 to 21 points in football???

This relates to regular ( ordinary) teams

No super teams which have self styled fancy animal names for themselves .

They are not ' supposed' to lose.

More like losing 12 to 24 dropping passes all game and blaming the loss on a bad foul call. Ok there were a couple of calls that could have gone either way but India just played a better game on the night.
Burning an effigy of the umpire is not cricket.

I dont think Rohits decision costed them anything. Had he been the last remaining batsman with no one else after him that would have been different case but that wasnt the scenario.

Yet they did not utter a word when unjust decisions went in favor of them.
But the most amazing fact is that noone in here didnt say any word about the irresponsible job of Captain MS Dhoni and bowler Umesh Yadav when they made an absolute silent when that Tamim gave a catch to Dhoni .
None in the media talked about that .The guys who stood at slip heard that knocked sound but neither Dhoni nor Yadav heard that.
Perhaps it may be a favour of Indian Captain.

If the Rohit had gone earlier more time for heavy hit would have been at the hands of Jadeja .
I dont think Rohits decision costed them anything. Had he been the last remaining batsman with no one else after him that would have been different case but that wasnt the scenario.

Outrage in Dhaka over no-ball, BCB to lodge appeal

The BCB has said it will lodge an appeal against the umpiring decision in Thursday's match that let Rohit Sharma off the hook, and do whatever is legally necessary. The decision prompted an angry response in Bangladesh, with expressions of outrage from several quarters and an unusually sharp outburst from the ICC president AHM Mustafa Kamal, who said that it appeared as though the umpires had come to the game with an agenda.

Moments after Rohit was caught off a Rubel Hossain full-toss in the 40th over, umpires Aleem Dar and Ian Gould signaled no-ball but replays suggested that the ball was only waist-high when contact was made and on its way down. Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza talked to Dar briefly and later, in the post-match press conference, steered away from direct criticism of the umpires.

The battle was taken up by officials and former officials. "Naturally we will appeal against these decisions in our report," BCB president Nazmul Hassan said. "It won't change the result, unfortunately. One wrong decision can make a huge difference in a World Cup quarter-final. I have had discussions with the ICC president (Mustafa Kamal) as no one else among the senior (ICC) officials were here in Melbourne. Legally what needs to be done, we will do it."

Kamal, a planning minister in the current Bangladesh government and a former BCB president, was more strident. He told Bangladeshi TV reporters outside the MCG that the ICC should investigate the matter, and questioned whether the decisions were "deliberate or not". He however said he was speaking as a "fan" and not as the current ICC president.

"From what I have seen, the umpiring was very poor," Kamal said. "There was no quality in the umpiring. It seemed as if they had gone into the match with something in mind. I am speaking as a fan, not as the ICC president. Umpires may make mistakes. The ICC will see if this was done deliberately. Everything is on record. The ICC has to investigate and inquire the issue to see if there's anything to it."

Kamal said that the backlash about the umpiring would compel the ICC into seeking further information on the issue. He also said he believed that other teams like Australia and South Africa would react similarly if they were also victims of poor umpiring decisions.

"I am talking about the overall umpiring. I saw what all of you saw. Before I go to the next ICC board meeting, I can't speak on their behalf. We are an ICC member, right? So we can't talk like this against the ICC. They will review it. Everyone is speaking against the umpires so definitely the ICC will find out whether there was any wrongdoings."

The reaction was similarly strong back home in Bangladesh. In the Dhaka University area, an effigy was seen burning with protesters chanting the names of the two on-field umpires of the World Cup quarter-final. There were processions in some parts of Dhaka and, according to TV reports, in other parts of the country too.

Former Bangladesh batsman Athar Ali Khan wrote in his Facebook account of his distress at the no-ball decision, posting the following message: "Shocked & still cannot believe that the leg umpire called that a no-ball. Why no one is talking about this?"

Outrage in Dhaka over no-ball, BCB to lodge appeal | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Bangladesh should take this to UN and OIC.

This is conspiracy to sideline, one of the best Cricket Team.

Back
Top Bottom