What's new

Wikileaks: S Arabia had urged US to attack Iran

Well last time it was Iraq

And the same Saudis hosted for that party as well, and before all of this there was Iran/Iraq, and the Saudis paid for that party as well - so long as Muslims are being killed, the kings and princes of the house of Saud will be happy to foot the bill.

It's pretty much clear, all arab nations will stand united when Iran will be attacked. Hope Iran send some goodies for them in the war.

It's pretty much clear, all arab nations will stand united when Iran will be attacked. Hope Iran send some goodies for them in the war.

Correction: (almost) all Arab governments will stand united.

The ordinay Arab citizen on the street is not nearly as anti-Iran as are the despots. Iran is actually quite admired in the Arab street for actually helping the Palestinians against Israel, unlike their own pathetic governments.

Wow. Why so defensive?

No. What I am saying is that these leaks reflect a sliver of reality. For one, they only reflect US cables and do not represent what the other side took away from the exchange. Second, they do not provide a complete picture even from the US perspective. They give a glimpse into a fraction of the documentation which reflects various meetings and exchanges, and that too just by the State dept. For example, if Gen. Petraeus is part of a meeting, there is US Military documentation of the exchange also. These leaks don't reflect those views.

You cannot discount the possibility that what was fed to Assange is a controlled subset, or what was fed to the US serviceman was a controlled subset. After all, the very essence of these leaks is that there is more to the news than meets the eye. How can you completely rule out with 100% confidence that these documents - while actual cables - weren't filtered somewhere.

Finally, these leaks are also widely being misreported in the popular press and people are taking the misreported versions as gospel. Sparklingway just did a nice post on how the NYT has changed the actual text in the leaks to the word "progress" in context of the King Abdullah/Zardari quote. That makes a *world* of a difference. Considering that no private citizen has the resources to inspect 250,000 cables on their own time, they will simply take what is being fed to them by the popular press. And early on in this process we have evidence (NYT, case in point) that the material is being molded and malformed to suit specific interests.

To me, so far these leaks don't really have a shocker. If you think a conversation between a US diplomat and an Arab sheikh reflects 100% of the Arab sheikh's thinking on the subject being discussed, then you are quite mistaken. People usually tailor their words based on who they are talking to. These same Arab sheikhs will say interesting things about the US and/or Israel when they are talking to a different (even if private) audience. I just don't think a limited sliver of the State dept's abbreviated cables should be taken by anyone as the true and complete picture of reality.

Yes, this is a more accurate picture of these so called "Leaks". I will not be going to read all these cables and would be relying on feeds, from the media. The truth is one sided: What the Pantegon / USA, see/observe/interpret/even tell to others. As you pointed out, these same SAUDIS would be giving not so nice statements about USA, when they turn thier back or in private conversations. So truth from House of Saud's may be somewhere in between these two extremes.

But one thing is clear, Muslim Ummah, know about the hypocrites, THE HOUSE OF SAUD's, for quite some time now. This is no big revelation, if apparently it look so.:tdown:

Fighter

Wow. Why so defensive?

No. What I am saying is that these leaks reflect a sliver of reality. For one, they only reflect US cables and do not represent what the other side took away from the exchange. Second, they do not provide a complete picture even from the US perspective. They give a glimpse into a fraction of the documentation which reflects various meetings and exchanges, and that too just by the State dept. For example, if Gen. Petraeus is part of a meeting, there is US Military documentation of the exchange also. These leaks don't reflect those views.

You cannot discount the possibility that what was fed to Assange is a controlled subset, or what was fed to the US serviceman was a controlled subset. After all, the very essence of these leaks is that there is more to the news than meets the eye. How can you completely rule out with 100% confidence that these documents - while actual cables - weren't filtered somewhere.

Finally, these leaks are also widely being misreported in the popular press and people are taking the misreported versions as gospel. Sparklingway just did a nice post on how the NYT has changed the actual text in the leaks to the word "progress" in context of the King Abdullah/Zardari quote. That makes a *world* of a difference. Considering that no private citizen has the resources to inspect 250,000 cables on their own time, they will simply take what is being fed to them by the popular press. And early on in this process we have evidence (NYT, case in point) that the material is being molded and malformed to suit specific interests.

To me, so far these leaks don't really have a shocker. If you think a conversation between a US diplomat and an Arab sheikh reflects 100% of the Arab sheikh's thinking on the subject being discussed, then you are quite mistaken. People usually tailor their words based on who they are talking to. These same Arab sheikhs will say interesting things about the US and/or Israel when they are talking to a different (even if private) audience. I just don't think a limited sliver of the State dept's abbreviated cables should be taken by anyone as the true and complete picture of reality.

not defensive, lol = laughing out loud. (which I literaly did)

you seemed to lend creduality to the notion that the leaks where a ruse. And yes I agree the converstions are fragmentary. Personally I am pretty disapointed that Obama has not directed the the relevant agencies to activly go after and shut down wikileaks. I'm sure the worlds intelligence agencies know the who and where of those invloved with it. After all it isn't just the U.S. being affected by it.

Correction: (almost) all Arab governments will stand united.

The ordinay Arab citizen on the street is not nearly as anti-Iran as are the despots. Iran is actually quite admired in the Arab street for actually helping the Palestinians against Israel, unlike their own pathetic governments.

In Iranian streets their regime is hated.
Go find Iranian in Australia and ask about regime and their support to Hizbullah.

BTW... Saudi Arabia never said what is quoted in subject.

Yes, Arabs believe that Iran do not look to it self while keep blaming others.
Yes, Saudi Kinf told Iranian F.M. to improve relations with Arabs.

not defensive, lol = laughing out loud. (which I literaly did)

you seemed to lend creduality to the notion that the leaks where a ruse. And yes I agree the converstions are fragmentary. Personally I am pretty disapointed that Obama has not directed the the relevant agencies to activly go after and shut down wikileaks. I'm sure the worlds intelligence agencies know the who and where of those invloved with it. After all it isn't just the U.S. being affected by it.

Does the President need to authorize the state dept to go after someone who has stolen their data? This sounds really strange. The Dept. should be empowered under US law to take measures.

It's not just the US being affected, but it is primarily all US allies that are being affected.

Also, I know the bulk of the leaks haven't come out yet, but just going by the statistical sample released thus far, it seems the US is way too concerned about Iran. The bulk of the discussion is in that context (or at least the juiciest bits of it). Iran will not attack the US until it is attacked first or sees no hope for its survival. I wonder if the more effective strategy would not be to simply ignore Iran while engaging wholeheartedly with allies. The Iranian nation has great and perfectly legitimate aspirations, and I believe the USG and the american people are supportive of these aspirations (at least I hope so, from a human/humane perspective). If Iran sees itself being completely ignored, it may trigger greater positive change from within than if the US forces all groups inside Iran to band together under pressure of an external threat.

As a related thought, in comparative terms, there are seemingly trivial tidbits about China. I would expect that the US would/should be focused with greater seriousness on the most credible large scale potential opponent rather than a country with a fraction of its population and an even smaller fraction of GDP.

In Iranian streets their regime is hated.
Go find Iranian in Australia and ask about regime and their support to Hizbullah.

Actually, expatriate populations that have been living abroad for extended periods of time don't reflect domestic sentiment. Take the case of Pakistan's expatriates. On most issues, their opinions would not be reflective of the ordinary man in the street in Pakistan.

Actually, expatriate populations that have been living abroad for extended periods of time don't reflect domestic sentiment. Take the case of Pakistan's expatriates. On most issues, their opinions would not be reflective of the ordinary man in the street in Pakistan.

TechLahore... i advise to take a holiday trip to Iran and look out for green revolutionaries.

The leaked US cables say that officials in Jordan and Bahrain have openly called for Iran's nuclear programme to be stopped by any means, including military.

Leaders in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt termed Iran as "evil", an "existential threat" and a power that "is going to take us to war".

the tittle of the thread only says Saudi arabia...but there are other too, Jordan , Bahrain , United Arab Emirates and Egypt who also thinks the same..

SO WE have another WikiLeaks release, and this time it's secret diplomatic cables. So far the interesting material is on Arab states' and America's relationships with Iran. It seems all those fervid background-only reports of Arab states urging America to bomb Iran, which I mistrusted at the time, were true. Call me naïve. One observation by an Arab diplomat cited in the cables seems on the ball:

Zeid Rifai, a Jordanian, is quoted as telling a US official: “Bomb Iran, or live with an Iranian bomb. Sanctions, carrots, incentives won’t matter.”
Fair enough, but the same observation might be made to the Arab officials who want the Americans to bomb. If they want America to bomb Iran, they're really going to have to go the very minimal distance and make the request publicly. If they can't be bothered to take the political risk of publicly making the call, they're just going to have to live with that Iranian bomb themselves.

More broadly, though, this release seems to me to mark another step down for the WikiLeaks concept. WikiLeaks's release of the "Collateral Murder" video ....>>>YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. ........>>>last April was a pretty scrupulous affair: an objective record of combat activity which American armed forces had refused to release, with careful backing research on what the video showed. What we got was a window into combat reality, through the sights of a helicopter gunship. You could develop different interpretations of that video depending on your understanding of its context, but it was something important that had actually taken place.

Diplomatic cables are something entirely different. It's part of the nature of human communication that one doesn't always say the same thing to every audience. There are perfectly good reasons why you don't always tell the same story to your boss as you do to your spouse. There are things Washington needs to tell Riyadh to explain what it's just told Jerusalem and things Washington needs to tell Jerusalem to explain what it's just told Riyadh, and these cables shouldn't be crossed. There's nothing wrong with this. It's inevitable. And it wouldn't make the world a better place if Washington were unable to say anything to Jerusalem without its being heard by Riyadh, any more than it would if you were unable to tell your spouse anything without its being heard by your boss.

At this point, what WikiLeaks is doing seems like tattling: telling Sally what Billy said to Jane. It's sometimes possible that Sally really ought to know what Billy said to Jane, if Billy were engaged in some morally culpable deception. But in general, we frown on gossips. If there's something particularly damning in the diplomatic cables WikiLeaks has gotten a hold of, the organisation should bring together a board of experienced people with different perspectives to review the merits of releasing that particular cable. But simply grabbing as many diplomatic cables as you can get your hands on and making them public is not a socially worthy activity.

There are echoes here of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg's famously aggressive position that society is evolving towards more transparency and less privacy (a belief which is certainly convenient for a social-networking site that wants to be able to sell users' data). Maybe it's something about tech geeks, or maybe it's just related to the self-interest of people and organisations whose particular strength lies in an ability to get a hold of other people's information. But it definitely seems like we're learning a lesson here: while information may want to be free, human beings are usually better off when it's on a leash.

Contributed with thanks to "The Economist"

If the news is true, then we can see how the so-called Islamic Brotherwood notion is! I always hate SaudiA because they haven't took any strong attempt to solve middle east crisis even they can, and Pakistanis should praise themselves because of acquiring nukes in due time, otherwise who would help them in crisis.

And, I think, this time Iran will definitely make bomb to know that enemies are their arabian-neighbors but not the USA only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom