What's new

Why Saudi Arabia Needs Pakistan

SipahSalar

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Why Saudi Arabia Needs Pakistan | The Diplomat
Pakistan may be Saudi Arabia’s best bet for a strong long-term security guarantee.

As the likelihood of a rapprochement between Iran and the West grows, Saudi Arabia is quietly shoring up its relationship with Pakistan.

According to various reports in the Pakistani media, Saudi Arabia requested an infusion of Pakistani soldiers following Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s visit to Riyadh last week. Despite enormous defense spending, the Saudi military is unlikely to see sustained battle or gain combat experience anytime soon. As former U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gatesquipped, the Saudis are only willing to “fight the Iranians to the last American.” In other words, the Saudis are notoriously unwilling, or unable perhaps, due to poor training and morale, to solely use their own forces to protect their country.

This is where Pakistan, with its relatively well-trained and professional military, comes in. Pakistan has long had a close relationship with Saudi Arabia and has been involved in protecting that country and the House of Saud. Pakistan has much friendlier relations with Iran than Saudi Arabia does, but ultimately it is more dependent on Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia, for example, gave oil to Pakistan in 1998 to help Pakistan weather international sanctions against it for conducting a nuclear test. The Saudis also saved Nawaz Sharif after he was overthrown in a coup in 1999, and he is thus beholden to them.

There are already Pakistani troops deployed in Saudi Arabia, though the number is said to be modest. These facts are generally kept quiet to avoid undue attention, but many scholars agree that there is definitely some sort of security commitment from Pakistan toward Saudi Arabia. After all, Pakistani soldiers have previously deployed in Saudi Arabia: in 1979, after the Iranian Revolution, and to help out during the Grand Mosque siegein Mecca. The security commitment may include a “nuclear dimension.”

It is clear that Saudi Arabia is getting increasingly jittery, but cannot go public about this to avoid the impression that it is siding with Israel or sowing dissension in the Islamic world. Counting on Pakistan is one way it can shore up its own security while keeping a low profile. Saudi economic and educational strategy certainly seems to be aimed at increasing its leverage in Pakistan. There is no doubt that Pakistan will assist Saudi Arabia on security issues that are relatively minor, like preventing a militant seizure of Mecca. But it remains to be seen if Pakistan will get involved in a bigger way, other than to guarantee the continued existence of the Saudi state. Pakistanis most definitely do not want to get caught up in a proxy war between Iran and Saudi Arabia, especially when they have their own pressing regional and domestic issues to worry about.

What can i say .. I don't think the writer of this article has been to Saudi Arabia since 2005.

Saudi Arabia is a different place now,
It has it's problems ( Old customs etc ); but slowly they are overcoming these issues.

That said, I also think that the world is becoming increasingly dangerous. The stakes are too high
and as would be consequences for those who loose.

So Saudi influence in Pakistan is that much .
A bit off topic.But this a reasonable doubt .Will they militarily help Pakistan during a conflict with India ?
Does anyone in here can answer that ?

A bit off topic.But this a reasonable doubt .Will they militarily help Pakistan during a conflict with India ?

Probably yes, they will.

Then what about the US role ?
Us need our market and Saudi Oil .What will they choose?

They will choose wisely! Impose sanctions on weapons etc but not let any country get off the hook completely. Use diplomatic pressure to end conflict immediately. They don't want an Indo-Pak conflict. Not in their interest.

They already have more than enough troops, and they are well equipped. This is about sending a message of alliance rather than actually needing troops.
No Not at all. 300,000 should be regular army and 160-210,000 SANG.

They will choose wisely! Impose sanctions on weapons etc but not let any country get off the hook completely. Use diplomatic pressure to end conflict immediately. They don't want an Indo-Pak conflict. Not in their interest.

Except those big aircrafts we dont have any American weapons in here .And we also have Russian system for that.
Diplomatic pressure will vary from case to case.If the provocation from Pakistan is that much then room for compromise in negotiation will reduce.
Well my doubt was about Saudi involvment.Because of your lack of confidence I can say they wont interefere militarily.They will send resources to you likd they did in previous wars .But they wont challenge us directly because of US factor .

Except those big aircrafts we dont have any American weapons in here .And we also have Russian system for that.
Diplomatic pressure will vary from case to case.If the provocation from Pakistan is that much then room for compromise in negotiation will reduce.
Well my doubt was about Saudi involvment.Because of your lack of confidence I can say they wont interefere militarily.They will send resources to you likd they did in previous wars .But they wont challenge us directly because of US factor .

KSA won't go to war with India for Pakistan but with increasing pressure on Pakistan they will increase their help in equal proportion. KSA doesn't care much about US, especially these days.

those days are behind us when there was a possibility of war between India and Pakistan.

You should change the title to " Why Saudi Arabia Loves Pakistan ?" :pakistan:

The relations between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia established before everyone here were born. :-)
I'm surprised of those who link these relations with the current situations ?
Sorry, but the man who wrote this article is stupid and nonprofessional he should quit better than writing such BS .
It's not new or temporary relationships to let us think of that writer's BS. :no:

By the end of this year I think it'll complete 68 or 69 years of honesty and fraternity,but we should close our eyes and ears because jealous will remains jealous.

At the first of the article, he described the capabilities of Saudi Arabia as a very poor limits and I'm sure he don't know where Saudi Arabia located in, though:lol: . Then he praised Pakistan capabilities in attempts to let Pakistan in the position of loser by her friendship with Saudi Arabia.While the truth is the benefits include the both sides .

It's cheap trolls. :rofl:

Why don't he come to Pakistan and sit in the presidential office to take the decisions instead of Pakistan government .:omghaha:

The relations with our brothers will remains strong as it is and who have anger or hate he should hit his head in a thick wall or hang himself and do a favor for the world .:hitwall::hang2:

Back
Top Bottom