What's new

Why Pakistani Northerners Aren't Happy To See Pakistani Tourists

I have a solution to this problem.

Government should form "community police" in these areas. They should be given authority to impose fines, and should be given means to take pictures of people breaking the rules and post them in case any disagreement occurs.

that happens all over the world.....

It's not just the Northerners, we people of Islamabad are also fed up of Lahoris and other southerners. It's like civilization and manners never reached those people.
I honestly have become so weary of Punjabis and Sindhi/Karachi folk even here in UAE, I feel I'm becoming a racist.

Our locals misbehave. Not only in Northern Areas, but also in their own towns and cities. That is generally speaking a major problem. This has nothing to do with ethnicity etc. It happens all across the board. There need to be heavy fines and strict rules imposed.

As more foreigners come to Pakistan, we also need some rules for them. Foreign tourists are not saints. The holier than thou attitude is to be expected. The tourists come from different places and have their own norms and customs. We cannot appease them all the time or meet their expectations. We also have to remember that some "tourists" also have certain biases due to religious and political differences. I have met foreign tourists in Pakistan before that hold political agendas. Pakistan has its own unique identity. We don't want to transform our Northern Areas into a seperate colony for foreigners. This land belongs to all Pakistanis. Irrespective of creed and ethnicity. Pakistan has to avoid Northern Areas from becoming another Bali. Northern Areas is not Bali where foreigners are allowed to hold screw fests on beaches, drink liquor and pretend the land belongs to them. The promotion of tourism to Pakistan should not mean that we bow to the foreigners and take their lectures on face value.

We need to do the right thing because we know and fully understand our own problems. Not because Tom, Dick and Harry is telling us what is right and what is wrong. Domestic and especially expat tourism should be encouraged. Also target tourists from Malaysia, Turkey, China and a few other friendly nations. Western tourism is not going to work in Pakistan for many complex reasons.

Last edited:
a "Pakistani" mod gives a thumbs-up to bharati narrative. how great freedom-of-speech champs you are!

@ PakSword, if you are a bloch, sindhi, punjabi, pukhtoon in Pakistan, please go to GB or AJK and try to buy land and post the results here

GB is also a part of Pakistan, just like KP and Punjab.

Which part of my post misrepresents the reality of domestic tourism in GB (which, again, is an integral part of Pakistan)? Non-GB can buy property in some parts of GB. I have friends from Peshawar, Lahore and Karachi who have property (and even summer homes) in Gilgit, Hunza and Skardu. And Pakistanis love to litter --- it's a South Asian disease.

Supporting 'narratives' on PDF doesn't matter too much --- what matters is what happens on MSM, social media and through our governments.

What kind of Burqa?

1 - Fully covered like Afghani style
2 - Face covering (except eyes) like Saudi style
3 - Head scarf like Irani style

Ideally option 1 or 2. Option 3 is only acceptable in non-Islamic countries where others options are banned.

If we cannot practice Islam in Pakistan where can we?

Northern Areas is not Bali where foreigners are allowed to hold screw fests on beaches, drink liquor and pretend the land belongs to them.
You’re painting an extreme picture.

The government can always provide informational material to foreign tourists about respecting local customs and coordinate with travel agencies/agents to also inform foreign tourists about respecting local customs in a friendly manner.

The way Karachiites or any residents of any other large city are behaving, these cities shouldn't be replicated..

Who do you think are people of larger cities? I think the ones who moved from smaller cities.

The village gets dirty first before a city in any civilisation Mr. Ala Uhdedaar

Who do you think are people of larger cities? I think the ones who moved from smaller cities.

The village gets dirty first before a city in any civilisation Mr. Ala Uhdedaar
In Pakistan, larger cities are more dirty.

In Pakistan, larger cities are more dirty.

That's because larger areas create larger trash.

Its naive to award this problem to just foreigners and invaders from the south or the north.

Its like Sindh suing rest of Pakistan for coming over and stinking up the Arabian sea and Sindhu river.

That's because larger areas create larger trash.

Its naive to award this problem to just foreigners and invaders from the south or the north.

Its like Sindh suing rest of Pakistan for coming over and stinking up the Arabian sea and Sindhu river.
They don't have to bring their civic sense to cleaner areas...

They don't have to bring their civic sense to cleaner areas...

This classicism is a remembrance of the caste system of the old that manifests itself in this thread beautifully.

Even Karachi is divided between this alleged higher civic sense as gated communities employ their own police.

This classicism is a remembrance of the caste system of the old that manifests itself in this thread beautifully.

Even Karachi is divided between this alleged higher civic sense as gated communities employ their own police.
This isn’t about class - the fact is that the issues mentioned in the op-Ed are a reality. Arguing over whether or not it is just a matter of scale is not the point- the point is that the current pristine tourism destinations are a national resource and treasure and should be maintained in that pristine condition as much as possible. If the problem is being exacerbated by incoming domestic tourists from the South, the main focus should be on educating those tourists and applying punitive actions to prevent and minimize the issues being exacerbated by those tourists.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom