What's new

Why not a civilian head of ISI?

ok which may mean you havent seen forrest gump. carrot and peas means 'a combination that works well together.thick friends..' so i just mean to say that isi and pa are like ... vijay and veeru (if youve seen sholay) or like (waqar and wasim if you follow cricket) .. makki di roti aur sason ka saag.. mmm...

ah.... u solved the mystery. ISI is inter services (army navy and airforce) intelligence. it is supposed to have strong bonds with all the forces. part of the job, u know:coffee:

bec we dont want ppl lik zardari (who needs to get a nod from US before doin anything) to head ISI.
y doesnt imran shafi do somehting about IB. that will help Pakistan as well.

whats IB? what does it do? do you think people with army background are not corrupt? Indian army officers are very corrupt.

ah.... u solved the mystery. ISI is inter services (army navy and airforce) intelligence. it is supposed to have strong bonds with all the forces. part of the job, u know:coffee:

exactly, thats what i said earlier, to which i was told isi has nothing to do with army.

whats IB? what does it do? do you think people with army background are not corrupt? Indian army officers are very corrupt.

gud for you. but with this much US involvement in our region, i will trust ISI more than the likes of zardari when it comes to national interest.
IB stands for intelligence bureau. it is supposed to be our main intelligence agency which obviously it is not coz appointments are mostly made to accomodate favourites. in army and ISI it is largely on professional basis, unless president steps fwd and appoints someone as a general whose turn is ages apart lik musharraf or zia.

bec we dont want ppl lik zardari (who needs to get a nod from US before doin anything) to head ISI.
y doesnt imran shafi do somehting about IB. that will help Pakistan as well.

hmm...wonder who votes for him....!

in my point of view if we give ISI in civil control then we will see ISI in future like PIA PR STEEL MILLS 100% currupt bankruppt no future no services.beleve me or not our civil services are our first enemyes officers in civil services can sell pravitise bankruppt any thing .god bless ISI from civil cheafs.

So then, why is it that only in our country, our intelligence service is the fief of the army, and only of the army? Surely there are competent people other than generals who could well head the organisation and be a credit to it? I mean if all of the world’s leading agencies can be headed by civilians why not our ISI?

kshafi1@yahoo.co.uk
DAWN.COM | Columnists | Why not a civilian head of ISI?

If ISI is Interservices intelligence why is that ISI always has a ARMY general as its head but not from Airforce or NAVY ( Dont tell me in that in the last 60 years you did not find any deserving officers in the other 2 branches of armed forces)

RAW is not the only agency headed by a civilian, most of the countries world over have civilains as head of overseas intelligence - MI6 , CIA , MOSSAD

If ISI is Interservices intelligence why is that ISI always has a ARMY general as its head but not from Airforce or NAVY ( Dont tell me in that in the last 60 years you did not find any deserving officers in the other 2 branches of armed forces)

RAW is not the only agency headed by a civilian, most of the countries world over have civilains as head of overseas intelligence - MI6 , CIA , MOSSAD

bwahhh you dont know anything then about ISI. They have people from even Navy at top ranks in ISI

bwahhh you dont know anything then about ISI. They have people from even Navy at top ranks in ISI

You say ISI could not find anyone suitable from airforce and navy to head the ISI in last 60 years ? :rofl:

It is up to Pakistan to decide what they want. India does not have locus standi. The reason why Hilary advocated this is because otherwise external government do not know whom to talk to.

You say ISI could not find anyone suitable from airforce and navy to head the ISI in last 60 years ? :rofl:

:undecided: where did i say that??? The officer from Navy is second after Pasha in ISI currently.

So oh get your record straight

It is up to Pakistan to decide what they want. India does not have locus standi. The reason why Hilary advocated this is because otherwise external government do not know whom to talk to.

rabbit, the Americans very well know whome they had to talk :) and they did so all these years.

they tried to weaken the set up but failed in doing so, so once again they are bowing at the same set up

The only argument Kamran Shafi has made in favor of the ISI having a civilian head is that 'other intelligence agencies have civilian heads' - that is not a good argument.

In response one could ask, 'why shouldn't the ISI DG be a serving military officer'?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom