What's new

Why is Sri Lanka more developed than Pakistan and India?

ghaja

New Recruit

Reaction score
Sri Lanka has a higher literacy rate, a higher GDP per capital and a higher HDP index(Human Development index) than Pakistan, Bangladesh and India even though
all 4 countries were former British colonies.
But what are the reasons for that?
Are there historical reasons or cultural reasons (Bangladesh and Pakistan are muslim countries
and India is mostly Hindu and muslim)
Or is it only because of the small population of Sri Lanka compared to India and Pakistan.

I think the Sri Lankan Governments have shown better accountability than other South Asian Nations. Of course, a smaller population would be a welcome boon. Nepal too had a small population at the stroke of Independence, but look at them now, nowhere close to the Lankans.

I also feel that the prevalent culture and attitudes of people are also responsible for it. To a casual observer, the attitude of people gets better as one moves from the North to the South of our subcontinent. The hugely egoistic and bombastic culture prevalent in the North eases out towards the South, and as Sri Lanka is independent, they chose to improve their country the way they wanted. It's not coincidence that Kerala, somewhat similar in topography and attitude to Sr Lanka, is also highly developed in the parameters listed above.

Of course, there are islands of good development spread throughout India, but that's because of deliberate measures taken by the Indian Government to ensure that one single region does not run away with prosperity.

it is a cultural thing - that makes Srilanka progressive. they are more similar to south India I believe and they are culturally more flexible adopting better things from west without involving religion much into it.

Kerala seems have some similarities with Srilanka.

They don't have tribal culture and extreme caste segregation like many parts of North India and Pakistan have.
most of India are still medieval in culture and extremely reluctant to embrace a liberal culture. eg: Khap panchayats, caste fights(jaat vs gujjar), riots.
I believe, north India also may have been comparable to south, but invasions sure have an effect on their culture.

India always uses the population excuse for their poverty and third world ranking.

India always uses the population excuse for their poverty and third world ranking.

:hang2:

And what exactly is Pakistan's excuse for coming so close to being called a Failed State?? Grow up, man. An underdeveloped population is indeed a drag on a Nation. Population is a resource only if it is productive. As long as our countries do not invest more on education, our populations will continue to pull us down.

Because Sri lankans are more hardworking than the rest of south asians

Hmmmm so yes they might have a higher literacy rate but still the title of this thread is misleading.I mean Sri Lanka is not more developed compared to India and Pak.
To countries like India & Pak higher literacy rates are still a far fetched dream because of the its population and politicians.If
the govt ensures that the money alloted to child education is utilised without loosing a single penny then in another 5-10 yrs our countries would be completely literate.But alas...this is not happening.

Because Sri lankans are more hardworking than the rest of south asians
I will tend to agree. Furthermore, Sri Lankans are more content. I visited SL last year and was surprised to see that even Presidential Palace did not have that fanfare security which is usually witnessed in Pakistan. The Trishaw which I hired took me right in front of its gate and the driver told me this is Presidency. What little info I gather suggests that though SL also has issues of corruption and kick backs but standards are not compromised. Systems are not disturbed. A nice place indeed, no one would say that this country has been fighting an internal war for so long.

I think you guys missed a point. Gender Equity.

Sri Lanka is ranked 55th in the world compared 101 out of 136 and even lower for pakistan.

More rights for Women overall means a more progressive and prosperous Country.

Well done Sri Lanka

I think the Sri Lankan Governments have shown better accountability than other South Asian Nations. Of course, a smaller population would be a welcome boon. Nepal too had a small population at the stroke of Independence, but look at them now, nowhere close to the Lankans.

I also feel that the prevalent culture and attitudes of people are also responsible for it. To a casual observer, the attitude of people gets better as one moves from the North to the South of our subcontinent. The hugely egoistic and bombastic culture prevalent in the North eases out towards the South, and as Sri Lanka is independent, they chose to improve their country the way they wanted. It's not coincidence that Kerala, somewhat similar in topography and attitude to Sr Lanka, is also highly developed in the parameters listed above.

Of course, there are islands of good development spread throughout India, but that's because of deliberate measures taken by the Indian Government to ensure that one single region does not run away with prosperity.

Pakistanis will do so well in North India

In my humble opinion primary reason are two. Firstly Sri Lankan population is better educated. Secondly; unlike Pakistan, where a large section of population including Oxford educated leaders harbour soft spot for terrorists; Sri Lanka took action and finally eliminated terrorism.

For example, Polio is a vicious disease but we actually ‘KILL’ health workers who vaccinate little children because mistakenly we believe that vaccination is un-Islamic.

Many among us volunteer to commit suicide; even though expressly forbidden in the holy Quran; and think that they will go to paradise! We don’t want to better ourselves in this life at all.

Simple reason.. Education, Universal and nondiscriminatory education across, ethnic,religious and gender.. SL has it's share of corruption, and mismanagement, But the majority of the people seem to escape the trap because of Education... Also importantly it's secular education, Sri Lankans are very religious but we tend to keep our faith personal

Hmmmm so yes they might have a higher literacy rate but still the title of this thread is misleading.I mean Sri Lanka is not more developed compared to India and Pak.
To countries like India & Pak higher literacy rates are still a far fetched dream because of the its population and politicians.If
the govt ensures that the money alloted to child education is utilised without loosing a single penny then in another 5-10 yrs our countries would be completely literate.But alas...this is not happening.

Well it's not just the literacy rate now is it, You can take HDI,Economy and even Infrastructure.. Is quite ahead than the rest of the region, So why is'nt it more developed than India and Pakistan?

The better educated a country is, the more developed it is. Simple as. Education, good education is expensive. PK spends the lowest amount on education - one of the lowest in the world and we have jahils running amok. This is simply not acceptable, we are simply making babies and then shoving all that grey matter, the collective IQ down the drain.

Having said that there are parts of PK that are quite well developed - for eg Karachi and Lahore and we have a reasonably good infrastructure, things will improve once we get rid of these moulvis who do nothing but drag us all down into the gutter.

In my humble opinion primary reason are two. Firstly Sri Lankan population is better educated. Secondly; unlike Pakistan, where a large section of population including Oxford educated leaders harbour soft spot for terrorists; Sri Lanka took action and finally eliminated terrorism.

For example, Polio is a vicious disease but we actually ‘KILL’ health workers who vaccinate little children because mistakenly we believe that vaccination is un-Islamic.

Many among us volunteer to commit suicide; even though expressly forbidden in the holy Quran; and think that they will go to paradise! We don’t want to better ourselves in this life at all.

Comparing LTTE to extremist terrorism in Pakistan is a wrong example.

Simple reason.. Education, Universal and nondiscriminatory education across, ethnic,religious and gender.. SL has it's share of corruption, and mismanagement, But the majority of the people seem to escape the trap because of Education... Also importantly it's secular education, Sri Lankans are very religious but we tend to keep our faith personal
Well it's not just the literacy rate now is it, You can take HDI,Economy and even Infrastructure.. Is quite ahead than the rest of the region, So why is'nt it more developed than India and Pakistan?

Gibbs
After i read your post i cross checked the facts.And i am surprised that you were right.
Infact on one of the sites i was reading the comparison between Indian tourist destinations and Sri Lanka's tourist destinations.It goes in great details about the hospitality of Sri lankans too.I was impressed to say the least.
But my understanding is
India's population is much more than that of Sri Lanka. So it is untenable and unfair to compare India to smaller countries. India's wealth and production generation are much more than even some advanced countries of the world. But there are some control bottlenecks and red tapism which prevent Indian economy to give better economy of scale.JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom