What's new

Why do a lot of Indian think China banning twitter, facebook, youtube etc is a bad thing

We have our own search engines, Web based e-mail services, shopping portals and social networking sites. Guriji.com Rediff.com and Khoj.com all are there - Flipkart - India's very own shopping portal has surpassed Ebay and Amazon and is way ahead of them already - no one even comes close of it - the best shopping portal of India and the number in the priority list of every Indian netizen for online shopping. Rediffmail has over 100 million registered usernames. 89.1% of the millions of visitors to Rediff.com are from India, while the rest come primarily from the USA (3.4%), Pakistan (1.5%), UK and Qatar

Flipkart how many user, I doudt it has more user than alibaba which has 300 million
Still these are store site so its going to be successful in its home base. Not many people in India are going to use amazon for example..

Infosys-Wipro-TCS these are India strength and don't need government protection.

So what is India version of google and what kind of traffic is it getting... Having a search engine doesn't mean its successful..
Baidu 560 million use their search engine
search engine and social site are borderless and need government protection from first world first adapter company like google..

Money Indians get from taxes on google in India is nowhere near the revenue America benefit from google. 
I still remember the Chinese members yelling at the GOI when there came a news that the GOI was considering to ban We Chat messenger for some obvious reasons which would definitely have enhanced Hike messenger's growth prospects - developed by Bharti Softbank #double standards by the very same Chinese cheerleaders ranting all around here
Well imo if the GOI think its in their interest to ban We Chat than they have to find a way to ban it..

Last edited:
Flipkart how many user, I doudt it has more user than alibaba which has 300 million
Still these are store site so its going to be successful in its home base. Not many people in India are going to use amazon for example..

Infosys-Wipro-TCS these are India strength and don't need government protection.

So what is India version of google and what kind of traffic is it getting... Having a search engine doesn't mean its successful..
search engine and social site are borderless and need government protection from first world first adapter company like google..

Money Indians get from taxes on google in India is nowhere near the revenue America benefit from google. 

Well imo if the GOI think its in their interest to ban We Chat than they have to find a way to ban it..

You must be naive to think china bans twitter and others for economic sence......if thats the case why stop at internet ...you can ban from I Phones to BMW's so that local manufacturers can benifit.....the point is the chinese dont have a choice ...if you have twitter and the chinese equalent and let the chinese decide what they want....i am sure when you where a kid your parents decided for you as to what you want......the only reason i see the reason for ban is to monitor the users and to shield the users from external information and for the internal information to go out....

The Chinese have leverage their billions of eye balls with government control censor to limit access to foreign internet company..
That means Chinese use Baidu, Renren, youko and Sino Weio, instead of Google, youtube, twitter, and facebook. This is not a bad thing for China as most un educated Indian would like you to believe.. While India praise the ability to use these western company, they are also shipping billion of ad revenue/taxes strait to the US..
While the Chinese get the taxes, ad revenue and other benefit from having home grow company. The Indian well they just celebrate their lack of common sense, some seem to think having a foreign company control such an important part of their ecomony as a good thing... WAKE UP INDIA AND INDIANS you and your billion plus are being taking advantage of...
With the current NSA scandal if I were an Indian I would use it as an excuse to push out or make it hard for foreign internet company to operate in India and give your own home grown company a chance to take over..

So you are saying Chinese products and services inferior to its international counter parts... They are just incompetable to google,facebook,twitter etc. Poor Chinese people they are forced to use second quality stuffs...

targeted sector is why BMW is not ban, China ban twitter with a reason like twitter will cause instability with its un control rumor .. By doing this they head off foreign government retaliation. Remember China didn't ban google it made it so hard for them in China that google itself gave up and left China.. you know that the great firewall can easy be bypass with a VPN and most if not all hotel in China have it..

BTW facebook and twitter unban in Shanghai FTZ. 
So you are saying Chinese products and services inferior to its international counter parts... They are just incompetable to google,facebook,twitter etc. Poor Chinese people they are forced to use second quality stuffs...
Yes a few years back they weren't ready to compete with twitter and facebook , now that they are you see China is lifting the ban on both twitter and facebook in Shanghai for example.. China didn't ban google they made it so hard for google that google left China.

Last edited:
The Chinese have leverage their billions of eye balls with government control censor to limit access to foreign internet company..
That means Chinese use Baidu, Renren, youko and Sino Weio, instead of Google, youtube, twitter, and facebook. This is not a bad thing for China as most un educated Indian would like you to believe.. While India praise the ability to use these western company, they are also shipping billion of ad revenue/taxes strait to the US..
While the Chinese get the taxes, ad revenue and other benefit from having home grow company. The Indian well they just celebrate their lack of common sense, some seem to think having a foreign company control such an important part of their ecomony as a good thing... WAKE UP INDIA AND INDIANS you and your billion plus are being taking advantage of...
With the current NSA scandal if I were an Indian I would use it as an excuse to push out or make it hard for foreign internet company to operate in India and give your own home grown company a chance to take over..

Yes a valid point, I am sure GOI is thinking in that direction. Most of the politicians are irked about the fact that people are mocking them on facebook ..... :lol:, and FB and other agencies give little attention to Indian concerns.

First of all you should have used a line to divide your thread into 2 parts.On one side you should have labelled China and the other side India.JMHO
Now get some facts right...
China is a communist country that controls it's people and feeds it whatever information it wants through a media tied to the ruling powers in the government. It has a vested interest in not letting the masses learn the truth about anything but only believe what their leaders and mouthpieces tell them. Chinese ppl are living in a cocoon and they havent seen the outside world.

Now i am wondering
thinking%20smiley.gif
why would an "American" (supposedly) sitting in America for whom youtube,facebook and google are just a click away would post a thread on the "advantages" of banning these sites in China???
Hmmm my logic says you're chinese.And that you're jealous of us Indians for having all the privileges. I dont really blame you.
:p:

Caught you...redhanded!!!:devil:

Last edited:
BTW I'm not Chinese

We believe you:lol: 
The OP does make a valid point about India having its own search engines and equivalents of Twitter etc.

But Banning everything and consideration of advertising revenues at the cost of isolating from the internet is pure epic retardation.

Google etc are popular because of quality. We must attempt to compete, currently Indian IT is focused on ERPs

Flipkart was established in the year 2007 only - Flipkart's reported sales were
7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png
40 million in FY 2008–2009,
200 million in FY 2009–2010 and
750 million for FY
2010–2011. In FY 2011–2012, Flipkart has crossed the
5 billion (US$100 million) mark as Internet usage in the country increases and people get accustomed to making purchases online. Flipkart projects its sales to reach
10 billion by year 2014. On average, Flipkart sells nearly 20 products per minute and is aiming at generating a revenue of
50 billion (US$ 00.81 billion) by 2015. Before 2007 Amazon and Ebay (particularly) dominated this sector n India recording over 80% of those sales but now the scenario has entirely changed - in just 5 years from its inception it literally turned them out of the competition - and yes before 2007 majority of the people did used Amazon and Ebay in India too....Flipkart is considered to be one of the fastest growing Shopping Portals accross the globe and obviously the #1 in the Indian Subcontinent. - India's largest consumer e-commerce venture Flipkart was valued at $1.04 billion in its last round of funding around a year ago....

Secondly Rediff.com is often considered to be India's Google - It has over 100 million registered users on its email service namely rediffmail and rediffmail NG and around the same as far its search engine is concerned. India has about 150 million internet users out of which its a wholesome amount and is bound to increase due to the NSA scandal and the GOI starting considering Indian firms for their web-mail service only - Already confirmed with the announcement of its policy by the Minister of Communications and Information Technology Sh. Kapil Sibbal....

Thirdly India is adequately taxing these firms - and let me tell you Google India FY12 profit before taxation was about $ 38 million out which India taxed it around $15 million reducing their net profit to $ 25 million - that is enough (and remember it was fined around $ 14 million eating up around half of their net profit) - where are the billions you are talking about????? even their revenue generation in India is still to pass a Billion dollar let alone the net profit and with the recent NSA scandal they are already in the radar of the GOI- only God knows what happens next....

And to conclude the protectionist approach of the GOI is o the right path (yes there are some revivals necessary which would only be addressed after the 2014 General Elections - The Next PM has a wonderful trak record in this concern) - Banning everything like that would only end up declining the FDI in India which it is in a desperate need of....and as far as the We Chat matter is concerned it is still under consideration - that news came a couple of months ago only....

Source(s) :- Flipkart was valued at $1 billion one year ago; Naspers picked up 10% stake last August| Reuters
Avoiding NSA clutches: India to launch internal email policy for govt comms — RT News

@WebMaster @Zakii
Mods could we get OP's IPs tracked.I am so sure it is not coming from US.Even if it is then the user's nationality is not what is indicated by the flags on his/her profile.

Last edited:
Mods could we get OP's IPs tracked.I am so sure it is not coming from US.Even if it is then the user's nationality is not what is indicated by the flags on his/her profile.

Levina you quoted a banned member here not webmaster...... :D

There is a thread called "country's flags" there we can lodge a complaint :D.

Last edited:
Levina you quoted a banned member here not webmaster...... :lol:

There is a thread called "country's flags" there we can lodge a complaint :D.
doh-smiley.gif

I was in a hurry when i made that post.So when i typed webmaster, 3-4 options popped up and i clicked the top one(i suppose).
Could you please give me the link to that thread where i can lodge a complaint.Because i think i'll be using that link every time i see a troll.
Is it possible for you to post it on my profile,so that i can use it later?? Is that possible??

Bye for now
:crazy_pilot:

doh-smiley.gif

I was in a hurry when i made that post.So when i typed webmaster, 3-4 options popped up and i clicked the top one(i suppose).
Could you please give me the link to that thread where i can lodge a complaint.Because i think i'll be using that link every time i see a troll.
Is it possible for you to post it on my profile,so that i can use it later?? Is that possible??

Bye for now
:crazy_pilot:

Country Flags | Page 18

is the link :)

Earlier there used to be a private message option in pdf now it is not there ....

If India did as the OP asked, we will be accused of being protectionist.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Country Flags | Page 18

is the link :)

Earlier there used to be a private message option in pdf now it is not there ....

Thanks for the link.
But no i was not talking about PMs,on very profile page theres somethings called "profile postings" which i guess is visible to everyone who visits a profile.So can a senior member do that??
Just my stupid doubts.....
Anyways i can bookmark the link i suppose so i am doing that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom