What's new

Who's afraid of the census?

It would be really good if population in Punjab falls and other province rise....
but I dont think so this would happen....population in Punjab must have increased more then other provinces I guess .... But this time increase in kpk and baluch seats would be really good....
also I think this year Gb would be included ....

It would be really good if population in Punjab falls and other province rise....
but I dont think so this would happen....population in Punjab must have increased more then other provinces I guess .... But this time increase in kpk and baluch seats would be really good....
also I think this year Gb would be included ....

Hopefully South Punjab has a significant enough population growth that they can call for their own province.

It would also be great if Karachi became its own province too.

Balochistan has raised valid objection but if we didn't conduct census now, we might as well postpone it for another decade. Its good to hold the census now and if and when the Afghan refugees leaves Balochistan, we can know from the number of exits

I think the population of Punjab has swelled to other provinces since 1998 and it is technically in the best interest of other provinces as it will give them higher share of budget and Punjab will lose some of the seats to most likely Balochistan and KPK which after merger of FATA will have greater representation in the parliament anyway

Balochistan has raised valid objection but if we didn't conduct census now, we might as well postpone it for another decade. Its good to hold the census now and if and when the Afghan refugees leaves Balochistan, we can know from the number of exits
Or the census can take refugee population into consideration, and don't declare them as voters or citizens. Not a valid objection.

Or the census can take refugee population into consideration, and don't declare them as voters or citizens. Not a valid objection.
The fear is that if they ask every household, most of them will claim to be Pakistanis and that will under represent Baloch population in Pakistan.

I will give you an example of my city, I see many Pathans in my city nowadays and if you ask anybody where is he from? The first answer is always Peshawar... if you know him little bit more then you see he will change answer to something like... oh originally I am from Jalalbad or Mazar e Sharif but moved to Peshawar 10-15 years ago and now living in my city for the last few years...

The bottom line is, Pakhtun and Baloch are two major populations in Balochistan and with addition of 1 million Afghan refugees its likely to under represent Baloch community and that is one of their fear

Did you guys even bother to read the article before commenting?

Basically everyone enjoying the current status quo is afraid of the census. Here's a summary;

Punjab's politicians / bureaucrats : Because Punjab's population growth rate is estimated to be lower as compared to other provinces and since population of a province determines the number of seats it gets in the National Assembly and the amount of money it gets from Federal Government. New census is expected to correctly show that Punjab's population share has decreased in the total population meaning lesser monies for the province.

Secondly, Lahore's share has decreased too as compared to the rest of Punjab. So Lahore gets less monies too. This is their takleef.

Sindh's Sindhis and MQM: Their takleef is that the numerous Pashtuns that have migrated to Karachi will make their presence felt. Meaning that more constituencies (halqay) will have to be created in Karachi. Meaning that PTI / ANP will probably be able to translate these new constituencies in to new national assembly seats. That and the good old Sindhi / Urdu speaking tussle over Urban / Rural Sindh resource divide formula.

Balochistan's Balochs: Their takleef is that Northern Balochistan is Pashtun majority now. Baloch's are a minority in their namesake province. Meaning that these dirty Sardars who have been getting monies from Federal Government and crying about lack of resources in Balochistan will have to share these monies with other dirties like Achakzai.

KPK's Babus: Their takleef is that they'll have to share their monies with Fata, about to be added in KPK. Since our bretheren from FATA are known to reproduce faster than any known species on this earth, this will mean lesser monies for Peshawar.

PML-N is afraid of census. Pakistan has not conducted census from 17 years. Census should be after every 4 years and see our Polotical leaders who talk irrelevant and has never plan census from last 17 years

Sindh's Sindhis and MQM: Their takleef is that the numerous Pashtuns that have migrated to Karachi will make their presence felt. Meaning that more constituencies (halqay) will have to be created in Karachi. Meaning that PTI / ANP will probably be able to translate these new constituencies in to new national assembly seats. That and the good old Sindhi / Urdu speaking tussle over Urban / Rural Sindh resource divide formula.
Here in Karachi, most of the people who have migrated here choose to have their votes registered in their "abaayi gaoun", even if they belong to the 2nd generation, that is the reason MQM manages to win the constituencies where urdu-speaking population is in minority.

Last edited:
Sorry but what is that and how does that confer advantage? Thanks in advance.
This does not confer any advantage to those ethnic groups because they cannot vote here in Karachi, neither do they travel to their home town to cast their votes(not related to Khi seats, but still better to have one's voice heard during elections), allowing MQM to dominate here. A few hundred thousand votes by them(if registered here) can easily take away some seats from MQM.

Back
Top Bottom