What's new

Which Book are you reading

Hi,

I agree with you---but you have to look at these two in a different manner----they both were the result and outcome of their upbringing---.

If Khalid Bin Waled had his father murdered right after his birth by a different tribe, his wife abducted and raped by those same people when he had grown up, him and his mother and brothers and sister kicked out of the tribe and left to die on frozen plains of mongolia in his early teens----maybe Khalid would have been a different kind of warrior---.

But for me---I don't read them to compare them with each other or otherwise---. I am just reading about them and what they did and how they persevered---and then I compare them to my brethren----that is always my comparison----and every single time I reach the same conclusion----.

The reason for Genghis in his success was that he were ruthless in providing justice---he build a system which carried everybody together and forward---all the naysayers and trouble makers were weeded out and neutralized without remorse and prejudice---.

I just learnt the difference between Mongols and the Tartars---.

That is what it was basically all about---that is where it started---a local petty dispute---tartars stealing mongol tribal livestock in mongol land---. The destruction of the muslim empire, the destruction of the chinese empire, the destruction of russians poles and tartars---it all started when a tribal chiefs kills livestock thieves and one of the thieves is the son of a tartar chief---.

Just finished reading---Bones of the Hills---empire of Silver---Lords of the Bow---by Conn Iggulden.

The books are about Genghis Khan---his childhood---teen years---a leader of men---a ruthless warrior---.

Woah...i'm on the 4th book (Empire of Silver)...now moving on to the 5th :)

After i saw the news about the Pakistani soldiers being trapped in the avalanche. My friend recommended me the book "Alive" based on true events about a rugby team that crashed in the Andes mountains in Chile and how they survived the whole winter, storms and avalanches, with no warm clothes, food, or warm shelter. And their journey out of the mountains for survival.

Really an interesting book to read. Recommend everyone to try it.

Hi,

So---what is your take!!!!

I thought the first three books were great.

The first book had a good narrative about Genghis's early years. I thought the hardships he faced after being driven away from his tribe helped shaped his non-materialistic nature evident in his subsequent conquests.

The second book was awesome, especially when he takes over the Chin cities one by one, and how he instilled fear into the inhabitants of the Chin cities.

The third book was quite good too. Genghis's ruthless raids on the Persian/Arab cites of Samarkand and Bukhara were particularly satisfying ("If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you" heh..awesome), and of course, his raids on the Hashshashin fortress. Tsubodai was one of the greatest generals of all time IMO.

The fourth book was okay...too embroiled in politics, though i've heard the 5th book (Conqueror) is awesome...looking forward to that.

The fourth book was okay...too embroiled in politics, though i've heard the 5th book (Conqueror) is awesome...looking forward to that.

Just wanted to add, had Ogedei Khan died a few years later, the world as we know it would be completely different. I would've wrote this in Chinese or Mongolian.

I cannot recommend the Conqueror series highly enough!! Awesome read!

Just started a new book... Interesting book though..

A Time to Betray by Reza Kahlili

2010 National Best Books Award-winning reveals what no other previous CIA operative’s memoir possibly could: the inner workings of the notorious Revolutionary Guards of Iran, as witnessed by an Iranian man inside their ranks who spied for the American government.

my next will be.....

The End of Sparta by Victor Davis Hanson

Right now I am reading Empire of the Moghuls - Ruler of the World by Alex Rutherford

Back
Top Bottom