What's new

When is Pakistan getting frigates from Greece?

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Based on what I read on Internet in 2006 when Pakistan ordered 4 frigates from China , we also got Greece building 4 frigates as well /or that was deal for used Dutch Frigates used by greece to be bought refurbished -

When is Pakistan getting frigates from Greece? It was negotiated in 2006 ~

I do know we are bound to receive the Chinese ones by next year, and 1 from USA (Old used one again same old US sending old stuff over)

What is the completion time/or validity of news Are we getting something from Greece ???? On top of the Chinese Frigates ???

Reference
Pakistan buys Dutch warships and military equipment Netherlands involved in major arms build-up in South Asia

There is a huge difference , and Pakistan need to get a at least 8 ships and 5 subs to match Indian ambitions

Pakistan
0 Carrier
0 Destroyer
11 Frigates (We will get +1 form US mid next year)
4 Corvetts
6 submarines, ??????
8 P-3 (with Hawkeye 2000 AEW system)
6+ Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopters Z9EC from China

12 Mirage
--------------------------------------------------------------------
India
1 AC - (+2 being built)
8 Destroyers (+3 being constructed)
12 Frigates (+6 being built frigates )
24 Corvets (+4 bing built)
16 submarines (+ 6 being built), (+4 being built Nuclear Subs)

P-8 Poseidon (4+ Deliveries expected 2011)

150+ Helicopters
2 Mig

These guys are piling up the ships as if they are going on ww4
vs China
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also DCNS Set for Frigate Talks with Greece - Defense News

This article sheds light on that Greece had problem with German Subs recently , and due to that reason Pakistan is moving towards purchase of French Subs Again instead of german Subs - :coffee: I know every one blames zardari for loving french but it seems like German subs had "issues"

My view point is , that if we have the Transfer of technology to build Agostas B class subs so instead of waiting for Germany to approve something we should be keeping our engineers busy each year to produce 2 submarines , a year -

So at least we have 16 submarines , and we compliment that with 4 purchased from Germans to form a formidable detterant to Indian Naval forces -

If Pakistan had got the Greece Frigates I would have said ok we are at least decent shape in term of our navy , but for the Submarines Pakistan need to construct more submarines even if they are less then the nuclear variants but still having 20 submarines would give us more options specially if we can launch a STRIKE from sea if needed

Last edited:
These guys are piling up the ships as if they are going on ww4
vs China
lol
yes, India has been in a buying binge, the darling bigshot spender in the market

I don't think Pakistan is getting Greek frigates as the deal probably collapsed a while ago. The PN did request for 6 Oliver Hazard Perry/FFG-7 Class frigates from the U.S., and it appears that the first one will be coming. There isn't really a capability gap between the U.S. Perry and Greek Ellis that PN was previously hoping to buy.

Also keep in mind that as a Major Non-NATO Ally (MNNA), Pakistan can acquire Excess Defence Articles (EDA) - i.e. stored used stuff - for free, but will have to pay for the upgrades, refurbishment, etc. Whether Elli or Perry, the PN would have to upgrade them with the necessary systems, and with Elli, it would also have to pay extra for the hull - whereas this isn't the case with the American frigate.

It remains to be seen how the Perry Class are upgraded. Beyond the used frigates, I think the PN will begin investing in new-generation frigate and corvette designs - namely with Turkey and China. However, these projects will not reach fruition until post-2020, until which PN needs stopgaps such as OHP.

As for U214. It was the Pakistani side that needs to finalize it, the Germans have not only approved it, but have already set up a credit/finance line. In any case, we must remember that modernizing the Navy requires more funds and more time than say the Army and Air Force. The PN does have proper long-term requirements, but even with the money, time will be an issue as it takes years to produce modern frigates and submarines.

For example, the PN has a requirement for 12~15 modern SSKs for the future, but it has - at best - 3 Agosta-90B and 3 U214 entering the pipeline. At this point, it's clear that the remainder will be built post-2020. It isn't as if will-power is lacking, Pakistan is pouring investment into shipbuilding in Karachi, as well as Gwadar and Port Qasim. What remain are credible designs that keep costs reasonable, and allow us to indigenously produce sensitive-systems.

IMO, the PN may be interested in the Turkish TF-2000 and TF-100 frigate projects, as well as MILGEM corvette. However, these systems are still under development, and will take years...however, the long-term may hold as bright a future for PN as say PAF or PA.

Last edited:
I think there will be major decision soon regarding German subs as PM Gilani is visiting Germany from 30th of November.

last I head on greece thing was , on forums that greeks are puchasing replacements but their replacements are not arriving soon , so its delaying things...

I mean if we can perhaps get some deal done with Korea / Turkey on frigates I am sure we can get 4 new warships instead of getting old 30 year old ships

I mean as customer for our Agostos send in Nawaz Sharif to Saudia , Saudia has like what 3 ships in total its quite pathetic for Navy for country of that size to have like only 2-3 ships ...

I mean Nawaz has some connection there might as well use em .. now

I am sure if Packadged nicely , we could get 10 submarines done for Saudi Navy, hopefully the revenue generated could be used to get us German Subs

Specially considering all the piracy issues close to Somalia just close to Saudi west coast and money they have -

But like if we have TOT on Agostas , we really need to be building 2 Submarines a year - every year , no questions asked. :coffee:

i thought after four frigates from china
pakistan was looking for ten corevetes from turkey
.........but from where these greece frigates arrived

i thought after four frigates from china
pakistan was looking for ten corevetes from turkey
.........but from where these greece frigates arrived
The Greek frigate news is old, and the deal has been dropped.

The PN is interested in 4 MILGEM corvettes from Turkey, and this will probably increase after the initial order. As for new-built frigates, beyond F-22P, the PN is interested in a larger and more capable type - possibly Type-054A.

Wt abt Pak Subs (U214).......its very imp for PN to get stealthy or nuclear submarines.

I believe reading in news, when Pakistan got 4 chinese frigates, they also wanted to get the 4 Greek Frigates , they were retiring of Dutch Origin , as the Greek wanted to get their own newer ones from Holland ...

So some where between 2006~2009 we lost track of that deal
as I think there were some delays by greek to replace their units

So our deal got delays unless I am wrong if we will still get these between 2010-2015? 4 more friagate

The deal went to the trash can.... we are getting the f-22 from China and also looking in to the turkish made ships . Furthermore , as you all know we are getting oliver class from the US which is follwed by a request for 6 of them lets see where it leads. Hoping we get the german subs & i wonder if Pak will keep making more of the French subs we have .

So PN investment is in secure hands as well as PN can expand its frigates, subs and corvettes fleet once all systems are fully developed, tested and capable without any possibility of sanctions..
A question looming back of my mind would Pak Navy be able to work on multiple subs development projects to decrease induction time for subs, frigates i do know investment is being done in ship building.

Pakistan can only solve her short term needs by purchasing second hand frigates. And the Perry choice is a good one if also an upgrade is concidered.

For longterm frigates I would advice Pakistan to go indigenous or at least co-develop with foreign partners (not necesarilly Chinese or Turkish, there are many countries who share knowhow in this area)

Pakistan acquired eight Brooke and Garcia-class frigates from US Navy on a five year lease in 1988. A depot for repairs, ex-USS Hector followed the lease of these ships in April 1989. However after the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan in 1989 US President George Bush was advised to no longer certify that Pakistan was not involved in the development of nuclear weapons and the Pressler’s Amendment was invoked on 1 October 1990.

Its amazing how , we have not learned out lesson an love kerry lugar bill specially knowing how it hurt us before

I think if we had these 8 frigates, bought and not just leased , we would have had a healthy total of 12 frigate ships in Pakistan Navy
not juts mere 6 frigates which is nothing quite frankly

Back
Top Bottom