What's new

What will the new PM of India do to improve relations with Italy?

MarkusS

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Italy
So India got a new PM and media here wonder what he will do to better the relations between Italy and India.

It is a well known fact that india and italy shared friendly relations for more than 100 years. Italy was the nation that opened the EU for india and which allowed india acess to the market here.

Italy was the first western nation that did chose india to send a commercial satellite (AGILE) into space which opened the indian spaceprogram into commercial service.

The general view about india was quite positive in italy. This has dramatical changed in the last months. The bitter case about our two marines poisoned the relationship. The indian embassy is bombarded with thousands of hate mail each day and even a bullet was put in their post box recently. India is portrayed as an evil 3rd world banana republic in our media and mentioned in one sentence with regimes like Iran and North Korea.

I remember two years ago when you switched on our educational TV channel you saw documentations about nature of India, history, improvments in social projects and so on. This has changed completly. All you see in TV now is rape cases, barbaric practices and poverty.

I see this as unfortunate and i hope that indians also see this curent status as unnatural and bad. Both our nations made mistakes in this diplomatic train wreck and i would like to know what steps should be done that this can be solved so both nations can be happy and go back to normal behavior.

The marines case will be very difficult for the new govt. to handle. I dont see any early solution to that case.

Send Sonia Gandhi back to Italy :lol:

On a serious note I feel India and Italy can and should have a very good relation. The trade opportunities are immense and we would like to improve them. We had made lot of defense related purchases from Italy but I think the corruption scandals have dented that relation. I am sure that you will also agree that while good defense ties are important it should be above corruption. Our new govt is strict about corruption and will not be hesitant in black listing firms. That being said legitimate firms with good products will always be welcome.

The Italian Marines case was a diplomatic train wreck as you correctly mentioned but now the case is being monitored by the Supreme Court and we will like an early resolution of the same. We will not do any witch hunt but if it is genuine we will not back track from legal issues.

Overall I think the relations will surely improve once little wrinkles are sorted out

So India got a new PM and media here wonder what he will do to better the relations between Italy and India.

It is a well known fact that india and italy shared friendly relations for more than 100 years. Italy was the nation that opened the EU for india and which allowed india acess to the market here.

Italy was the first western nation that did chose india to send a commercial satellite (AGILE) into space which opened the indian spaceprogram into commercial service.

The general view about india was quite positive in italy. This has dramatical changed in the last months. The bitter case about our two marines poisoned the relationship. The indian embassy is bombarded with thousands of hate mail each day and even a bullet was put in their post box recently. India is portrayed as an evil 3rd world banana republic in our media and mentioned in one sentence with regimes like Iran and North Korea.

I remember two years ago when you switched on our educational TV channel you saw documentations about nature of India, history, improvments in social projects and so on. This has changed completly. All you see in TV now is rape cases, barbaric practices and poverty.

I see this as unfortunate and i hope that indians also see this curent status as unnatural and bad. Both our nations made mistakes in this diplomatic train wreck and i would like to know what steps should be done that this can be solved so both nations can be happy and go back to normal behavior.

So Italy is bad mouthing India merely for holding on 2 murderers, while India is not bad mouthing any nation even when our people got killed!!

Talks a lot about both nations.

The government should not have any say in this. The courts decide whether they are guilty or not and they will determine the punishment if they find them guilty.

Once the courts give their order, it will be up to the new government on how to handle relations with Italy.

Back
Top Bottom