What's new

'We can build Padma Bridge alone

Hammer-fist

Reaction score
'We can build Padma Bridge alone'

Wed, Jan 2nd, 2013 3:33 pm BdST

Dhaka, Jan 2 (bdnews24.com) – The Engineering Department of Bangladesh Army alone is capable of building the Padma Bridge, said LGRD Minister Syed Ashraful Islam on Wednesday, at the opening ceremony of Hatirjheel-Begunbari integrated project.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was present when Ashraf made this claim. But he did not elaborate, but merely praised the intellect and the capacity for hard work of the Bangladesh people

Rajdhani Unnayan Kartripakkha, or the Capital Development Authority, the 16th Engineering Construction Battalion of Army, the Dhaka WASA and the LGED jointly implemented the project with Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) as its consultant.

Earlier Bangladesh Army Engineering Corps (Special Works Organisation) Brigadier Gen Abu Sayeed Mohammad Masud claimed in his speech that with a 'sufficient work force, the Padma bridge 'could be built five times over'.

The Hatirjheel-Begunbari project that spreads through 302 acres of land aims to facilitate communiaction between the east and west part of Dhaka.

The Hatirjheel-Begunbari project, stretching from Hotel Sonargaon to Bansree, was taken up in 2007, during the last caretaker government's time with an outlay of Tk20 million – 93 percent of which was funded by the government.

A lake flows through the heart of the integrated project. A 16-kilometre road has been built beside the lake for traffic, connecting four big and four small bridges (viaducts) and as many overpasses for pedestrians.

On the other hand, the Padma Bridge project is pending, unsure of the World Bank funding. The Washington-based lending agency has said it will disburse its promised funds only after observing progress of investigation into alleged corruption plot.

bdnews24.com/sum/srs/sbh/1530h

'We can build Padma Bridge alone' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

1. This particular minister is one of the most hated in the current Awami League regime and has earned huge controversy for some of his idiotic comments e.g. when he basically said he did not care about victims of BSF killings.

So initially I thought it was yet again another of his moronic comments.

2. However even our own military claims this is possible, though I doubt it very much.

Went to Hatirjheel today. Beautiful place. The system is well planned. The bridges were spectacular with lighting. Lots of roads interconnected. Good looking overpasses. Lots of greenery too, designed to bloom from some bridges. The water system seems good and the land, connected with lake(or whatever that is) is similar to the way you see in Japan. Although the roads are a bit narrow, don't see a point in making a footpath as wide as a road, this will be regrettable in future, i believe. Saw a few posters of attention seeking ***** HASINA as well as hardworking army staff. Overall, an excellent project well done. Hope they takeover to do the bridge too :)

Went to Hatirjheel today. Beautiful place. The system is well planned. The bridges were spectacular with lighting. Lots of roads interconnected. Good looking overpasses. Lots of greenery too, designed to bloom from some bridges. The water system seems good and the land, connected with lake(or whatever that is) is similar to the way you see in Japan. Although the roads are a bit narrow, don't see a point in making a footpath as wide as a road, this will be regrettable in future, i believe. Saw a few posters of attention seeking ***** HASINA as well as hardworking army staff. Overall, an excellent project well done. Hope they takeover to do the bridge too :)

Basically you are saying this is all the result of army work?

So they could produce similar results with other engineering projects such as Padma?

Hmm...I doubt it, will wait for @iajdani and @eastwatch to comment on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically you are saying this is all the result of army work?

So they could produce similar results with other engineering projects such as Padma?

Hmm...I doubt it, will wait for @iajdani and @eastwatch to comment on this.

Well ye, if the Government handed this to any other organization, then you could hope this project to end on 2019 maybe, thats how our country is.
Nothing wrong with me optimistic, no high hopes though :D

Last edited by a moderator:
First drawback of the project, they did not dig the lake deep enough to hold the water and hold them clean. 2nd, sewerage is still flowing into the lake. The rest of the things seems alright even though the finishing touch could be more meticulous. There are lots of extravagant structure yet the work looks ordinary. There were a lots of space for improvement. I hope it will get better and better in the future.

1. This particular minister is one of the most hated in the current Awami League regime and has earned huge controversy for some of his idiotic comments e.g. when he basically said he did not care about victims of BSF killings.

So initially I thought it was yet again another of his moronic comments.

2. However even our own military claims this is possible, though I doubt it very much.

Well finding an honest man is pretty difficult now a days.

I like Ashraf, Muhit and Nahid only because they are honest. They might had other lacking but honesty is my first priority.

I like Ashraf, Muhit and Nahid only because they are honest. They might had other lacking but honesty is my first priority.

Epic post by a Hammarian "pro-BD nationalist". Nothing sarcastic or out of the blue at all. :lol:

What is stopping BD......is it funding or engineering?? or both??

Of course we can so many talent and lot of raw material available in around bangladesh . and even we even have lot of source of money . our school children are going to give every penny to build the bridge in Padma by using local bamboo and wood from Sundarban forest . labour will be provided by hard working BAL worker.we have liberated 147540 km2 land from Pakistani why not build a 6 KM bridge ..

Bangladesh can technically do it by itself from the following internal financing sources:

2012-07-20__bs01.jpg

However, there's a catch.

Increased outflow of money into buying foreign materials needed to build the bridge may raise the dollar value for which the estimated cost right now is Tk. 230 billion, and may jump to Tk. 300 billion.

Additionally, fund accumulation from NRBs may not be steady due to an uncertain global economy. In turn, depreciation in the value of the local currency may increase prices of imported goods, and thereby contributing to inflation.

Finally, mobilization of local resources may put a strain on the nation’s taxpayers.

So it would have negative consequences on the already stagnant economy right now.

Back
Top Bottom