What's new

USS Mississippi (SSN 782) Reaches Another Milestone, Celebrates Keel Laying

Metallic

Reaction score
USS Mississippi (SSN 782) Reaches Another Milestone, Celebrates Keel Laying
UNITED STATES - 9 JUNE 2010

NORTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. -- Electric Boat Corporation hosted a keel laying ceremony June 9 for Virginia-class submarine Pre-Commissioning Unit (PCU) Mississippi (SSN 782) at the company's Quonset Point facility in North Kingstown, R.I.

Allison Stiller, deputy assistant secretary of the Navy for Ship Programs, is the ship's sponsor and served as keel authenticator for the ceremony.

"Mississippi, in native folklore, means 'Father of the Waters,'" said Stiller. "What a fitting name for a submarine. I'm truly honored and humbled to be Mississippi's sponsor."

Stiller authenticated Mississippi's stern unit by chalking her initials onto a metal plate. Electric Boat Welder Scott Fanning welded the initials into the plate, which will be permanently attached to the submarine's hull prior to delivery to the U.S. Navy.

Rear Adm. William H. Hilarides, Program Executive Officer (PEO) Submarines, spoke about the success of the shipbuilders.

"Mississippi is well on her way to begin sea trials earlier [than previous Virginia-class submarines]," said Hilarides. "To all of you shipbuilders in the audience, thank you for your service to your country."

Mississippi is the ninth ship of the Virginia-class and the fifth Navy vessel to be named for the people of the "Magnolia State." The contract to build Mississippi was awarded to Electric Boat Aug. 14, 2003. Construction began Feb. 18, 2007. Cmdr. John McGrath is Mississippi's officer-in-charge.

Virginia-class submarines are tailored to excel in a wide range of warfighting missions. These include anti-submarine and surface ship warfare; special operation forces; strike; intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; carrier and expeditionary strike group support; and mine warfare.

UNITED STATES - 9 JUNE 2010

NORTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. (June 9, 2010) Scott Fanning welds the initials of ship's sponsor Allison Stiller, left, in the keel of the Virginia-class attack submarine Pre-Commissioning Unit (PCU) Mississippi (SSN 782) during a keel-laying ceremony at General Dynamics Electric Boat Quonset Point facility. Stiller is the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition.

Back
Top Bottom