What's new

US to expand embassy in Afghanistan with 500 million dollars

Nothing

Reaction score
Country
India
KABUL: The United States is expanding its presence in Afghanistan, announcing on Wednesday a massive expansion of its Kabul embassy and construction of two consulates.

Washington's Kabul embassy is already its biggest in the world, with about 1,100 employees, projected to rise to 1,200 by the end of the year, officials said.

Hundreds have arrived over the course of this year as part of a "civilian surge" bringing development experts into the country to compliment the military effort already in its 10th year.

The United States and NATO have 150,000 troops in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban-led insurgency, following a military surge aimed at speeding an end to the war.

The embassy expansion contract was worth 511 million dollars and had been awarded under US law to an American company, ambassador Karl Eikenberry said.

Another two contracts, each worth 20 million dollars, had been awarded for the construction of consulates in Herat, the main city in western Afghanistan, and Mazar-I-Sharif in the north, he said.

Speaking to a gathering of Afghan officials, Eikenberry said the expansion would enable the United States "to carry out its pledge to maintain into the future its very significant security, government, economic and civil society programmes".

He said the projects currently employed 500 Afghans and that "once construction gets underway more than 1,500 Afghan workers will be employed through the completion of the project in summer 2014".

US to expand embassy in Afghanistan with 500 million dollars - The Times of India

usa is making permanent base in afghanistan(kabul)....like in pakistan(ISB)....in disguise of embassy expansion
they are also planning to open one consulate in quetta.So whole AFPAK will be dotted with usa presence for long.

Hmmmm, interesting.:what:
I can understand Afghanistan, but why Quetta?

balochistan is strategic location..................remember iran.more over chines are there chinese up there in gwadar.

balochistan is strategic location..................remember iran.more over chines are there chinese up there in gwadar.

I think its much more than that-
The Nuclear power station and the roads to Afghanistan.
Iran is a small part of the calculation.

Well well well, uncle is certainly up to something. Looks like a strategic move, this. Wonder what's lurking behind in the white house and pentagon over the plans for the future in the region.

whoever has been hoping that USA will leave afghanistan in July 2011 and WOT will be over by then is living in a fool's paradise. Afghanistan will become another Philippines. Good for Afghanistan though..

Washington's Kabul embassy is already its biggest in the world, with about 1,100 employees, projected to rise to 1,200 by the end of the year, officials said.

I don't think people from Afghanistan are lining for visas to America. 1200 'employees'!!!!! Most of them are CIA operatives.

As of now I didn't understand what is the reason behind US's such huge efforts in Afghanistan!!

usa is making permanent base in afghanistan(kabul)....like in pakistan(ISB)....in disguise of embassy expansion
they are also planning to open one consulate in quetta.So whole AFPAK will be dotted with usa presence for long.

An embassy is a permanent base, that's what an embassy is lol...

The Americans are not leaving Afghanistan any time soon. The American forces will just regroup and redeploy there. Blackwill's 'Plan B' seems to have some substance.

I don't know why people just say "americans wont leave" People always ignore the fact that it's a coalition in afghanistan of 50 different countries.

Infact, all the other countries combined have more troops in afghanistan then the americans.

I don't know why people just say "americans wont leave" People always ignore the fact that it's a coalition in afghanistan of 50 different countries.

Infact, all the other countries combined have more troops in afghanistan then the americans.

It is not about the numbers. It is about who really calls the shots there. There are troops from Australia, Britain, Germany, Poland and god knows who else. But every body talks about Gen. McChrystal and now Gen. Petraeus. Hardly any mention of the Australian or British commander on the ground.
That speaks for itself.

Back
Top Bottom