What's new

US prepares military package for UAE against Iran

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
US prepares military package for UAE against Iran

The Obama administration is planning to provide thousands of advanced “bunker-busting” bombs to the UAE in a bid to build a regional coalition to counter Iran, it has been reported.

The proposed package, which is said to include up to 4,900 joint direct attack munitions (JDAMs) as well as other weapons, would vastly expand the capabilities of the Gulf state’s air force to target fixed structures, the Wall Street Journal said.

JDAMs are designed to demolish bunkers and tunnels, areas where Iran is believed to be developing weapons, said the newspaper. The package is expected to be formally presented to Congress within days, it added.

“There is a complete reanalysis of the need of the UAE and what kinds of weapon systems they need the most to achieve their strategic goals in an international coalition,” Dr Theodore Karasik, director of research and consultancy at the Dubai-based Institute for Near East & Gulf Military Analysis, told Arabian Business.

“The GCC states at this time are united against Iranian pursuit of a nuclear weapon [but] they are not untied on the political and economic ties. Oman and Qatar have a different relationship with Iran than does Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and UAE,” he added.

Iran is a significant trade partner for the UAE, with trade volume between Iran and Dubai - which are separated by just 54km across the Strait of Hormuz - estimated at $10bn a year.

But relations between the two countries have waned in the wake of fresh United Nations sanctions, imposed last year, aimed at forcing Iran to curtail its nuclear programme. Dubai’s Iranian Business Council in December predicted trade between the UAE and Iran would decline by as much as 50 percent in 2010 to $6bn.

The International Atomic Energy Agency in a dossier last week claimed Iran had designed a nuclear warhead and had continued to conduct research on an atomic weapons programme as late as 2010. The IAEA declared for the first time that “Iran has carried out activities relevant to the development of a nuclear explosive device” and said “some activities may still be ongoing”.

Western countries, including the US and France, called for tougher sanctions in the wake of the report. The UAE has openly expressed concerns of an Iranian nuclear weapon. The Gulf state’s ambassador to the US, Yousef Al Otaiba last week told The Atlantic Magazine he was concerned about the impact it would have on the UAE.

“I think we are at risk of an Iranian nuclear program far more than you are at risk. At 7,000 miles away, and with two oceans bordering you, an Iranian nuclear threat does not threaten the continental United States. It may threaten your assets in the region, it will threaten the peace process, it will threaten balance of power, it will threaten everything else, but it will not threaten you,” he said.

US prepares military package for UAE against Iran - Politics & Economics - ArabianBusiness.com

uae-f-16-f-take-off-afterburner.jpg

img_57_3906_1.jpg

Wed Dec 7, 2011

Dubai ruler believes Iran won't get nuclear arms - CNN

(Reuters) - Dubai's ruler said he does not believe Iran will get nuclear weapons, despite Western suspicions that it is trying to develop them, saying the Islamic republic would face devastation if it ever used an atomic bomb against its arch-enemy Israel.

Iran insists its nuclear programme is peaceful but a United Nations watchdog issued a report last month which suggested that it had worked on designing an atomic bomb.

Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, who is also prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, dismissed such concerns in an interview with CNN.

"What can Iran do with a nuclear weapon? For example, will they hit Israel? How many Palestinians will die? You think if Iran hits Israel, do you think their (cities) would be safe? They would be gone the next day," he said.

Asked if he thought Iran would get a nuclear weapon, Sheikh Mohammed said: "I don't think so myself."

CNN released excerpts on its website of the interview with the ruler of Dubai, a Western-allied emirate which has extensive trade ties with Iran across a narrow part of the Gulf.

Iran says its nuclear programme is exclusively for generating electricity. It has suffered heavy sanctions from international powers demanding it halt activities that they believe are intended for military purposes.

EU Energy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger said on Tuesday that there was consensus among European Union states on the need for an embargo on Iranian oil in response to the report from the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Israel, which has a policy of neither confirming nor denying that it has nuclear weapons, is widely believed to have the Middle East region's only nuclear arsenal.

Former Saudi intelligence chief Prince Turki al-Faisal has said that Riyadh should consider acquiring nuclear weapons to counter threats from Tehran, and from Israel.

(Reporting by Firouz Sedarat; editing by David Stamp)

Dubai ruler believes Iran won't get nuclear arms - CNN | Reuters

---

P.S.: In the event of any blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, a crude oil pipeline bypassing the strategic Strait of Hormuz is almost complete.

Wed Dec 7, 2011

Dubai ruler believes Iran won't get nuclear arms - CNN

(Reuters) - Dubai's ruler said he does not believe Iran will get nuclear weapons, despite Western suspicions that it is trying to develop them, saying the Islamic republic would face devastation if it ever used an atomic bomb against its arch-enemy Israel.

Iran insists its nuclear programme is peaceful but a United Nations watchdog issued a report last month which suggested that it had worked on designing an atomic bomb.

Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, who is also prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, dismissed such concerns in an interview with CNN.

"What can Iran do with a nuclear weapon? For example, will they hit Israel? How many Palestinians will die? You think if Iran hits Israel, do you think their (cities) would be safe? They would be gone the next day," he said.

Asked if he thought Iran would get a nuclear weapon, Sheikh Mohammed said: "I don't think so myself."

CNN released excerpts on its website of the interview with the ruler of Dubai, a Western-allied emirate which has extensive trade ties with Iran across a narrow part of the Gulf.

Iran says its nuclear programme is exclusively for generating electricity. It has suffered heavy sanctions from international powers demanding it halt activities that they believe are intended for military purposes.

EU Energy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger said on Tuesday that there was consensus among European Union states on the need for an embargo on Iranian oil in response to the report from the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Israel, which has a policy of neither confirming nor denying that it has nuclear weapons, is widely believed to have the Middle East region's only nuclear arsenal.

Former Saudi intelligence chief Prince Turki al-Faisal has said that Riyadh should consider acquiring nuclear weapons to counter threats from Tehran, and from Israel.

(Reporting by Firouz Sedarat; editing by David Stamp)

Dubai ruler believes Iran won't get nuclear arms - CNN | Reuters

---

P.S.: In the event of any blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, a crude oil pipeline bypassing the strategic Strait of Hormuz is almost complete.
These Arabs don't know jack sh!t..most likely they want Americans to save their A$$ otherwise Iranians will butt rape UAE.

These Arabs don't know jack sh!t..most likely they want Americans to save their A$$ otherwise Iranians will butt rape UAE.

Whose Side is Pakistan on in case a Arab vs Iran war breaks out ?

Is pakistan on Irans side or UAE? i think pakistan has much more to gain from Iran. as Iran will be a regional superpower in the future.

Whose Side is Pakistan on in case a Arab vs Iran war breaks out ?

actually you put forth a good question . i too would love to hear what our Pakistani members here have to say about it .

actually you put forth a good question . i too would love to tear what our Pakistani members here have to say about it .

i think the pakistani leaders will support saudi arabia by giving them nukes in case of war, since the saudis funded their nuclear program for a reason right? i am not sure a bout who the pakistani people will support, alot of Pakistani have a good view towards Iran.

actually you put forth a good question . i too would love to hear what our Pakistani members here have to say about it .

It is a difficult situation for Pakistan to be in , havent got a satisfactory answer from any pakistani members on this forum yet !!!

Pakistan will play the middle of the road game here unless KSA is directly threatened, with which there is some defence cooperation understanding. Its in Pakistan's interest to keep things cordial with Iran which is an immediate neighbour so the most likely scenario is that Pakistan would be doing its level best to de-escalate the situation. The problem in this situation is that this war will most likely be instigated by the Israelis and the US will be involved. In such situations, Pakistan's role would mostly be on the sidelines.

In any case, the Pakistani public is loath to the idea of seeing such a conflict. This cannot be good for the region in any way.

We don't want war between Iran and Arabs , whats is the reason for that god damn stupid war reason , i hope we will play anti war role if such a situation come.

yes pakistanies don't want iran to be bombed by anyone

and neither want any threat to any gulf countries , pak wants a stable gulf as stated by gop some months ago during behrain crisis

TARIQ

UAE can over run Irani airforce in single night.

Iran's best shot is mig-29 and i can bet in case of any war most of mig pilots will claim asylum in foreign states.

Back
Top Bottom