Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
US backs Pak-TTP talks like Kabul-led talks with Afghan Taliban

February 05, 2014 - Updated 1137 PKT
From Web Edition

WASHINGTON: The United States sees Islamabad’s move to hold talks with Tehreek-Taliban Pakistan as the country’s internal matter, the State Department said.

“We of course are closely following the recent developments and reports. The issue of whether to negotiate with TTP is an internal matter for Pakistan,” Spokesperson Jen Psaki said, while referring reporters at the daily briefing to Islamabad for any details.

“More broadly, the United States and Pakistan continue to have a vital, shared strategic interest in ending extremist violence so as to build a more prosperous, stable, and peaceful region, but we’d point you to them for any details of what’s happening.”

Questioned if Washington backs Pakistan-TTP talks the same way as it does in the case of Kabul-led talks with the Afghan Taliban, the spokesperson replied: “It is. The issue of whether to negotiate is a decision that the Government of Pakistan needs to make.”

Pressed further on the issue, the spokesperson noted that “every circumstance is different. I’m not piling every country and every circumstance into one, so I think I gave you an answer on our position.”

Asked is it not for Pakistan to take a decision to hold negotiations with the TTTP, just as is it is up for the Afghans to decide, the spokesperson responded: “Certainly. That’s why I said it’s up to the Government of Pakistan to determine.”

“I don’t want to make a prediction of an outcome,” she said.
US backs Pak-TTP talks like Kabul-led talks with Afghan Taliban - thenews.com.pk

Back
Top Bottom