What's new

US AH-64D wins Indian Attack Chopper Deal , Mi-28N Looses: RIAN

good news......finally something good on this diwali.

AH-64D Apache Longbow block III coming

:victory:

AH-64D Foreign Military Sale To India

India – Support for Direct Commercial Sale of AH-64D Block III APACHE Helicopters WASHINGTON, December 27, 2010 – The Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress on December 22 of a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of India of various engines, equipment,weapons, training, parts and logistical support for a possible Direct Commercial Sale of 22 AH-64D Block III Apache helicopters. The complete package is worth approximately $1.4 billion.The Government of India has requested proposals from several foreign suppliers, including the United States, to provide the next generation attack helicopter for the Indian Air Force. In this competition, the Government ofIndia has yet to select the Boeing-United States Army proposal. This notification is being made in advance so that, in the event that the Boeing- U.S. Army proposal is selected, the United States might move as quickly as possible to implement the sale. If the Government of India selects the Boeing-U.S. Army proposal, the Government of India will request a possible sale of 50 T700-GE-701D engines, 12 AN/APG-78 Fire Control Radars, 12 AN/APR-48A Radar Frequency Interferometers, 812 AGM-114L-3 HELLFIRE LONGBOWmissiles, 542 AGM-114R-3 HELLFIRE II missiles, 245 STINGER Block I-92H missiles, and 23 ModernizedTarget Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensors, rockets, training and dummy missiles, 30mm ammunition, transponders, simulators, global positioning system/inertial navigation systems, communicationequipment, spare and repair parts; tools and test equipment, support equipment, repair and return support,personnel training and training equipment; publications and technical documentation, U.S. Government andcontractor engineering and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistics support to beprovided in conjunction with a proposed direct commercial sale of 22 AH-64D Block III APACHE Helicopters.

I predicted Apache last week while most went with Mi-28.:lol:

long ago most of the senior members said that it will be Apache.

"The Apache Block III features open systems architecture and 26 advanced technology improvements, including level 4 unmanned aerial vehicle control for increased situational awareness. This helicopter configuration has already demonstrated the flexibility to rapidly integrate technology changes throughout its service life."

With those missiles AH-64D block III will get lots of fire power. The combination of Longbow radar, AN/APR-48A Radar Frequency Interferometer Electronic Support target acquisition system, Arrowhead M-TADS/PNVS and AGM-114L-3 Hellfire Longbow missiles along with AGM-114R Hellfire II and Stinger 92H will be deadly.

AGM-114L-3 Hellfire Longbow is a millimeter wave radar guided missile while AGM-114R Hellfire II is a semi-active radar guided missile. Both as 8 km range. Stinger Block I-92H is an air-to-air missile.

Video (43.1 MB)

MFC_Arrowhead_photo3_h.jpg

AH-64D_Longbow_3_med.jpg

AH-64D_Longbow_1_med.jpg

Cockpit similar to AH-6i
innovation_s2.jpg

LONGBOW FCR and LONGBOW HELLFIRE Missile

LONGBOW
The LONGBOW system is built by a Joint Venture of Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman. U.S. Army testing shows integrated capabilities enhance the Apache lethality fourfold and survivability sevenfold. The mission equipment package is in production for the U.S. and several international customers. The Apache LONGBOW system is a proven force multiplier that has been battle-proven in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. The LONGBOW Weapon System has been in full-rate production since 1996, with First Unit Equipped in 1998. Nearly 400 radars and more than 14,000 missiles have been contracted for the U.S. Army and international customers. For the Apache Block III upgrade, a new Radar Electronics Unit (REU) will replace two line-replaceable units. The REU will provide growth capabilities to the LONGBOW FCR and will reduce maintenance cost.

LONGBOW FCR
The LONGBOW FCR has a very low probability of intercept. It rapidly and automatically searches, detects, locates, classifies, and prioritizes multiple moving and stationary targets on land, water and in the air in all weather and battlefield conditions from standoff ranges. Target coordinates are automatically available to other sensors and weapons for target confirmation, rapid engagement, and reduced fratricide. Target data is digitally available through the data modem for real-time transfer to other platforms and command posts. The self-contained Radar Frequency Interferometer provides rapid and accurate identification and azimuth to enemy air defense units. High system reliability and two-level maintenance maximize operational availability and reduce support costs.

LONGBOW HELLFIRE Missile
The LONGBOW system employs fire-and-forget LONGBOW HELLFIRE AGM-114L missiles that can be launched from defilade, increasing battlefield survivability. The LONGBOW HELLFIRE missile locks on targets before or after launch and has been used in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The M299 Smart Launcher has a fully digital interface to the Apache helicopter and fires all types of HELLFIRE missile.

Video

MFC_Longbow_photo1_m.jpg

MFC_Longbow_photo2_m.jpg

Arrowhead M-TADS/PNVS

Modernized Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensor (M-TADS/PNVS) system

rrowhead is the advanced electro-optical fire control system that Apache helicopter pilots use for safe flight in day, night, or bad weather missions. It is the U.S. Army's Modernized Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensor (M-TADS/PNVS) system that is leading edge in its design. M-TADS/PNVS advanced technology improves system performance by over 150 percent. Reliability increases more than 150 percent while maintenance actions decrease approximately 60 percent. Streamlining field maintenance from three to two levels saves nearly $1 billion in operation and support costs over the 20-year life of the system.

M-TADS/PNVS modular architecture accommodates a field-retrofit from TADS/PNVS to the new configuration on the Apache AH-64D.

MFC_Arrowhead_photo1_m.jpg

AH-64D Apache Longbow Block III enhancements

PUB_AH-64D_Versions_lg.jpg

Congrats to India for getting such an awesome system. lets hope that India buy more than just 22 in the future

^^^^

They will replace Mi-35, so it will be in small number for heavy attack chopper role. Some more AH-64D will be ordered soon like C-130J and P-8I. But our mainstay will be 170 LCH ordered.

A worthy Diwali gift to the armed forces.

I hope the heavy lift helo tender goes to Russians . That way everyone has their share of the pie and we will have the best machines for our requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truthfully, I don't know what the big deal is. Can these choppers be used meaningfully in our Indo-Pak or Indo-China context?

The US was free to use these in Iraq and Afg. Are we to believe that these choppers can be employed by India as freely as that with either Pak or China? Would any of you volunteer for that pilot's job?

In an environment dense with Anti Aircraft capabilities, where jets will have a tough time, I am just unable to comprehend how these will be employed.

The only uses that I can think of is in peacetime, against infiltrators from Pak and our home bred Maoists.

Congrats to India for selecting such a deadly killer.;)

Truthfully, I don't know what the big deal is. Can these choppers be used meaningfully in our Indo-Pak or Indo-China context?

The US was free to use these in Iraq and Afg. Are we to believe that these choppers can be employed by India as freely as that with either Pak or China? Would any of you volunteer for that pilot's job?

In an environment dense with Anti Aircraft capabilities, where jets will have a tough time, I am just unable to comprehend how these will be employed.

The only uses that I can think of is in peacetime, against infiltrators from Pak and our home bred Maoists.
Tank-busting.
SEAD.
DEAD.

A combo of Apache-LCH can wreak havoc to opposing land forces.
The Apache not only has the fire power, but the self protection and avionics factor makes its a truly killer maachine

Wow , good news all round today ! :mps:

Waiting for the beast to fly in Indian colours soon !

1544442.jpg

The future contract, worth at least $600 million, envisions an optional delivery of additional 22 helicopters.
WTF the best news of all time....I think this is the best contract of this year yet.

Back
Top Bottom