What's new

Urdu is back in Bangladesh!!!!

TopCat

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Over the years it dawned on him that they, the Biharis here, had made the same mistake twice, and that was supporting Pakistan first in 1947 and then in 1971.

Now in his seventies, Moksud Alam of Geneva Camp in the city's Mohammadpur feels they have paid dearly for that.

The good thing is, he says, they did not mess it up this time. “We got registered as voters by swearing allegiance to Bangladesh as soon as the opportunity came along.”

Moksud knows their ballots weigh the same as do those of the other voters.

Left marginalised for decades, they are now quite important to the political parties and candidates in the December 29 general election. They will have a critical bearing on the vote outcome in several constituencies.

The caretaker government granted citizenship to the Biharis, also known as stranded Pakistanis, to let them be on the voter roll following a court order in May this year.

Though there has not been any census, the community leaders believe at least 70 thousand of them are spread across the country.

In the capital, they are concentrated mainly in Mirpur, Pallabi and Mohammadpur areas.

There, campaigners from the alliances led by Awami League (AL) and BNP are out to woo them with promises of better living conditions and integration into mainstream society.

Talking to The Daily Star, some canvassers said they are struggling to sense the pulse of these fresh voters. The vote might swing either way.

Moksud, who was born in 1938 in Patna of Bihar in India, first voted in 1957. That year, he cast his vote for Indian National Congress.

During the historic election of 1970, he was settled in Dhaka two years after his migration to the then East Pakistan. Like many who moved here from India since the partition, he backed Jamaat-e-Islami, the party that worked against the independence movement.

The Biharis were stripped of their right to vote after Bangladesh was liberated from Pakistani occupation in 1971. Since then, they had been stranded here as successive Pakistan governments showed little interest in taking them back.

Mohammad Parvez, a 28-year-old resident of Geneva Camp, said, “We are happy that we have a national identity and we can say we are the citizens of Bangladesh.”

In Mohammadpur, Pallabi and Mirpur, many Biharis mingling with different party workers are busy canvassing.

Interestingly, a group supporting Ilias Uddin Mollah, AL-led grand alliance candidate for Mirpur-Pallabi (Dhaka-16), has published leaflets in Urdu to seek attention of fellow Biharis.

Mohammad Abbas, 74, and Shahzada Selim, 43, were distributing the leaflets when this correspondent got to speak to them. They said they have published these on their own as many in their community can read only Urdu.

“We did this because we want them to rally behind our candidate of choice,” added Shahzada.

Rafiqul Islam Mia, BNP-led four-party alliance candidate for Dhaka-16, yesterday told The Daily Star, “My supporters in Bihari community too have decided to publish leaflets for me.”

Similarly, Biharis of Geneva Camp in Mohammadpur have published Urdu leaflets for Jahangir Kabir Nanak, grand alliance candidate for Dhaka-13.

Showing a leaflet to this correspondent, 53-year-old Mansur Alam said, “Who doesn't want to see his mother tongue in print.”

Sixty-year-old Sheikh Abdul Gafur finds it pretty amazing that both Nanak and four-party alliance candidate Moazzem Hossain Alal are canvassing vigorously for their support.

“This is the first time that politicians are coming to our doorsteps for vote. It feels like we have grown to be worthy citizens from being a bunch of losers. Till this month, there was none to look after us. Even if it's for the sake of vote, the political leaders are now asking how we do.”

The candidates have made a lot of promises in the leaflets for the Biharis. The pledges range from improving the living standards to ensuring fundamental rights.

With pledges aplenty, the Biharis have resolved to vote for the candidate they think would work sincerely for their rehabilitation and a better life.

Rafiqul Islam Mia said, “As a candidate, I naturally expect votes from the Bihari community. However, my expectation of them is a bit higher as I have fought for them in the cases regarding their citizenship.

“I think they know I can live up to the promises I'm making, and will vote for me.”

Meanwhile, AL candidate Ilias Mollah said, “I hope they'll be on my side as our family has always stood by them.”

As no official number of Bihari voters is available yet, the figures given by candidates and their campaign workers vary considerably.

While Mollah claims Bihari voters in his constituency would be 25-29 thousand, Mia says the number would range between 40 thousand and 45 thousand.

Ahmed Ilias, managing director of Al-Falah Bangladesh, an NGO working on social and economic rehabilitation of Biharis, told The Daily Star that his organisation conducted a survey for relief purposes on behalf of UNHCR in 2006.

"Though it wasn't a census of Urdu-speaking people in Bangladesh, we presume there would be around 160 thousand of them in 116 camps," he continued.

"If we consider 60 percent of them eligible to be voters, the number should be 95-96 thousand.”

Ahmed thinks there would be some 12 thousand Bihari voters in six camps and other places in Mohammadpur.

:partay::partay:

i solve all problims within month its same like zardari.

Urdu is a beautiful language often associated with Islam. Imho SA muslim community should adapt Urdu as their official language.

Urdu is a beautiful language often associated with Islam. Imho SA muslim community should adapt Urdu as their official language.

Yes. The script and many words in Urdu are in the Holy Quran.
Also my Iranian friend said he could understand 50% of Urdu Poetry because its so similar to Farsi and Allama Iqbal is also very famous in Iran, Iranians call him Iqbal-e-Lahori.

Yes it's a poetic language. Urdu still being teach in BD at University and Madrasa. It should be teach in high school and College label as well....

my Dream will to see Border dissolves b/w Pakistan & Bangladesh

No More VISA required ...

Like you travelled in ur own country .

bangladesh and pakistan are gud at their own place. borders should stay however both countries should work towards improving their relations in all fields including defence.

Very good news!! wish them all the best!!

yes gr8...............i hv notion about some BANGLA DESHI journalists hv started TEHREEKAY TAKMEELAY PAKISTAN with cooperation of PAKISTANI journalists...........its a good sign:pakistan:

Urdu used in campaign as Bihari voters emerge as decisive factor

Our Correspondent, Nilphamari

Candidates for the posts of chairman and vice-chairman in Saidpur upazila are widely using Urdu in their campaign to woo Urdu speaking people, who comprise half of the voters in the upazila.

Walking along the streets of Saidpur town, one would frequently hear loudspeakers announcements through Urdu.

It is also being used for slogans in processions and in public speeches by the candidates who know well that Urdu speaking people, commonly known as Biharis, would play a decisive role in Saidpur upazila parishad election.

However, no one from the Urdu speaking community is in the polls race from the upazila.

Election office sources said that Saidpur upazila comprising five unions and one municipality has total 1,45,865 voters. Of them 69,419 voters are in Saidpur municipality. Most of the voters in the municipality area are Urdu speaking people commonly known as 'Biharis'. They constitute about 50 percent of the voters in the upazila. However, no one from the community is contesting for the posts of chairman or vice-chairman in the upcoming upazila parishad election.

There are seven upazila chairman candidates, four vice-chairman candidates and five female vice-chairman candidates in Saidpur upazila. Most of them are leaders of Awami League, BNP and Jatiya Party.

Due to the conservative nature of the Biharis and the adverse situation they faced in the past, most of them remained uneducated and many of them cannot understand Bangla, the language of mainstream people. So most of the candidates for chairman and vice chairman posts in Saidpur are campaigning in Urdu.

During a visit to different places in the municipality yesterday, this correspondent found that BNP leader Obaidur Rahman and Awami League leader Sakhawat Hossain, both candidates in the upazila election, were delivering their speeches in Urdu at separate public meetings.

Both of them said there is no scope of division between Bangalees and Biharis over language issue as all are the citizens of Bangladesh.

The upazila election candidates are seeking votes in Urdu in a bid to touch the hearts of the Biharis, said Col (retd) Maruf Saqlain, recently elected lawmaker from Nilphamari-4 (Saidpur and part of Kishoreganj).

Most of the Biharis of Saidpur migrated to the then East Pakistan from India mostly from Bihar, Uttar Prodesh etc in the face of violent Hindu-Muslim riot following the emergence of Pakistan and India as independent states in 1947.

During the War of Liberation of Bangladesh in 1971, majority of the Urdu speaking people supported the atrocity of Pakistan occupation army and after the independence of Bangladesh most of them continued with their identity as Pakistanis. A section of them later migrated to Pakistan while the rest are still living in 21 refugee camps in Saidpur town as stranded Pakistanis.

However, many of them then declared themselves as Bangladeshi citizens and received citizenship here. They, their descendents, and the children of stranded Pakistanis over 18 years of age who were born in Bangladesh have got the opportunity to become voters.

:The Daily Star: Internet Edition

Arrey Mian beech me hum bhi hai.. kyoon na saari sarhaden khatm kar daalen...Humse aise bhi narazgi kiya.. Bas fir Lahore se car me baithna aur seedhe Dhaka jakar dam lena... Lucknow me raat guajarna...

RK

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom