What's new

Understanding the person who is posting

Sliver

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been a member of this forum since 2010. I am very selective in my posts and only post when I believe I can contribute to the debate.

I have two suggestions/ideas/developments that I believe may help grow this forum more.

1) a user's political views be prominently shown. This will ensure what ideology we are debating with. It will be an interesting exercise to keep track of the number of people supporting which political view and if a specific discussion has changed a person's view. (right winger/left winger, secular etc)

2) A forum like this with a diverse south asian user base can give an insight into what the region as a whole likes/wants from the region and why. An opinion poll on these aspects periodically shows the changes in perspectives of the collective user group.

3) Can the web developers look into a www. stackoverflow .com model for the site as well so specific debates that can end with a firm result can be shown as a more "question - answer" type model where newer people can find out about past discussed to the core issues and not start new threads again.

Over the past three years in the forum here here is where I believe the forum has evolved in the positive:
1) there are less and less "A vs B" kinds of threads which have almost always resulted in flame wars.
2) More diverse cultural and ethnic groups are given mod status.
3) In spite of repeated requests (an comparisons with other forums) you have refrained from collectively banning people from certain countries. This is definitely commendable and the people behind the decision should get the credit for it.

1) a user's political views be prominently shown. This will ensure what ideology we are debating with. It will be an interesting exercise to keep track of the number of people supporting which political view and if a specific discussion has changed a person's view. (right winger/left winger, secular etc)

In that case, few more detail can be added in a member's profile like Political view and some other related info as we see in Facebook.

19490Untitled.jpg

Good points but its like wrong assessing process where just like survey you can declare a person fundamentalist, terrorists, terror sympathizer.

such forums are NOT reflective of thoughts of a nation or a region collectively.

I meant that to be self declared. You can claim to be something. At the same time your posts will definitely reflect if you are supporting your own ideology.

:P and what about those who's political views keep changing

Most often than not, the idea is to get more people to change their stance depending on the discussions and enrichments. When debating and trying to get ideas, we are all trying to either firm up our own beliefs or gradually change our beliefs.

I meant that to be self declared. You can claim to be something. At the same time your posts will definitely reflect if you are supporting your own ideology.

Most often than not, the idea is to get more people to change their stance depending on the discussions and enrichments. When debating and trying to get ideas, we are all trying to either firm up our own beliefs or gradually change our beliefs.

and whats the purpose of such an exercise ?

I mean on internet people are hiding behind an ID and many also fake it so how can you pinpoint and declare so and so region having particular thinking?

and whats the purpose of such an exercise ?

I mean on internet people are hiding behind an ID and many also fake it so how can you pinpoint and declare so and so region having particular thinking?

On internet you are talking to ideas not people. Even when they hide behind an ID, that ID is nothing but an element with a certain idea, a certain ideology and a certain political affiliation. Of course some "ID"s (or most) can be simply trolls. But a good number here are capable of a very good debate an capable of changing others perceptions with their strong an convincing arguments about stuff.

Trolls exist everywhere, the forum was not built to cater to trolls. I was only sggesting knowing the political affiliation helps understand the point from where they come from.

For example, I saw a post the other day where a Pakistani poster stated " Pakistan should be secular". A bunch of people liked it (lets call them group A). Te very next post was another Pakistani poster who stated Pakistan should be an "Islamic republic" another bunch of people liked it (lets call them group B).

A few pages later (or in a different thread), I would be better informed when I am debating with someon, which camp he belongs to. This helps in framing my response in a better way and would help the other people to interact with me in a better way.

Knowing what affiliation the majority belongs to does not show what affiliation the country belongs to. But it certainly gives a snapshot what this forum members think. The forum itself can align itself with a certain political view an we can discuss the merits of each ideology.

It is probably a long shot, but it will position this site to grow from being a place to discuss to a place to shape peoples approach to politics in the South Asian region.

On internet you are talking to ideas not people. Even when they hide behind an ID, that ID is nothing but an element with a certain idea, a certain ideology and a certain political affiliation. Of course some "ID"s (or most) can be simply trolls. But a good number here are capable of a very good debate an capable of changing others perceptions with their strong an convincing arguments about stuff.

Trolls exist everywhere, the forum was not built to cater to trolls. I was only sggesting knowing the political affiliation helps understand the point from where they come from.

For example, I saw a post the other day where a Pakistani poster stated " Pakistan should be secular". A bunch of people liked it (lets call them group A). Te very next post was another Pakistani poster who stated Pakistan should be an "Islamic republic" another bunch of people liked it (lets call them group B).

A few pages later (or in a different thread), I would be better informed when I am debating with someon, which camp he belongs to. This helps in framing my response in a better way and would help the other people to interact with me in a better way.

Knowing what affiliation the majority belongs to does not show what affiliation the country belongs to. But it certainly gives a snapshot what this forum members think. The forum itself can align itself with a certain political view an we can discuss the merits of each ideology.

It is probably a long shot, but it will position this site to grow from being a place to discuss to a place to shape peoples approach to politics in the South Asian region.

The forum has grown considerably over the past few years. That is why we have sections where you can discuss only technical matters and then separate sections where only political/geo-politics is allowed. So i don't see how knowing the person better would a different case. Maybe you can see there historic posts and figure out? That's what i do.

most of us know the poster's point of view within 1 or 2 replies.. what is the need to put oneself into such slots... we are already divided as such.. in form of nation or religion..

most of us know the poster's point of view within 1 or 2 replies.. what is the need to put oneself into such slots... we are already divided as such.. in form of nation or religion..

I don't think so that one or two posts do help us to understand point of few,in fact I have seen change of tone with respect of context of post.

I don't think so that one or two posts do help us to understand point of few,in fact I have seen change of tone with respect of context of post.

I dont like labels ... already a few labels on me.. why would I invite more? :no:

I dont like labels ... already a few labels on me.. why would I invite more? :no:

Well,I also think that we don't need labels,all we need is to create capacity,eligibility to understand the context of statement of an individual poster.

Second,we must quote to JJTs,moderators,TTs or member of high reputation only,this will automatically prevent us to get in trouble,as nuclearpak rightfully said:

'Do not quote trolls'

Refrain bashing,war mongering,try to settle out matters peacefully.

Do not try to be over smart on some one,do not indulge yourself in an unnecessary argument.

This mentality:"I know better then you"always results into deviation from actual topic,thus while posting,if we keep this point in our mind,that we are sharing,resolving,learning will be more positive and better.

Best Regards
Slav Defence

Well,I also think that we don't need labels,all we need is to create capacity,eligibility to understand the context of statement of an individual poster.

Second,we must quote to JJTs,moderators,TTs or member of high reputation only,this will automatically prevent us to get in trouble,as nuclearpak rightfully said:

'Do not quote trolls'

Refrain bashing,war mongering,try to settle out matters peacefully.

Do not try to be over smart on some one,do not indulge yourself in an unnecessary argument.

This mentality:"I know better then you"always results into deviation from actual topic,thus while posting,if we keep this point in our mind,that we are sharing,resolving,learning will be more positive and better.

Best Regards
Slav Defence
totally agree... also stick to the left in uk ... when driving slowly .. drive in slower lanes.... do not park in disabled parking unless disabled... slow down instead of speeding up if you see amber light :)

Back
Top Bottom