What's new

UN Security Council outdated, needs new members: Brazil

Fighter488

Reaction score
UN Security Council outdated, needs new members: Brazil

AFP, Jun 21, 2010, 11.51pm IST

VIENNA: The UN Security Council is outdated and needs to bring in new blood, Brazil's foreign minister Celso Amorim said here on Monday, complaining that non-permanent members were not being taken seriously.

"The Security Council no longer reflects the political reality" but rather a reality "that was true 65 years ago," Amorim told journalists during a visit to Vienna where he met with his Austrian counterpart Michael Spindelegger.​

Instead, the Council should look to the G20 group of industrialised and emerging economies, he said, and bring in countries like Brazil, India and South Africa as permanent members alongside the five current veto-wielding powers - the United States, Britain, Russia, China and France.

Amorim also criticised the Council for failing to take seriously a joint Brazil-Turkey bid last month to curb Iran's nuclear programme.

Brasilia and Ankara, both non-permanent members of the Council, brokered a nuclear swap deal with Iran in an attempt to avoid new sanctions against Tehran. But the deal was dismissed by the United States and other UN powers.

"That casts doubt over (our) credibility. Yet, Turkey and Brazil are unblemished emerging countries who approached Tehran with good intentions," Amorim insisted.

The Brazilian also complained of "zero transparency at the technical level," noting that non-permanent Council members only learned of the new draft on sanctions against Iran via media reports.

Brazil and Austria are among the ten non-permanent members of the Council who rotate every two years.

UN Security Council outdated, needs new members: Brazil - Europe - World - The Times of India

A very timely comment indeed.

Its time to re-make the UNO structure. It must reflect the changing realities of the world and give due space and weightage for the emerging powers, worldover.

India, along with Turkey, Brazil and Japan, must put a credible joint front for this change.

Fighter

A very timely comment indeed.

Its time to re-make the UNO structure. It must reflect the changing realities of the world and give due space and weightage for the emerging powers, worldover.

India, along with Turkey, Brazil and Japan, must put a credible joint front for this change.

Fighter

This is why Brazil-Turkey "offered" to provide Iran with nuclear fuel ---> in other words, both are trying to become a de-facto nuke power (because they understand only with WMD destructive power could they have greater overall power).

Hence the main reason Turkey is making the play for Palestine, which happens to be Iran's main motivation also. Basically, the non-Arab muslim-dominated countries are vying to represent all the other muslim-dominated countries. Hence, we may see in a few years time Indonesia and Saudi Arabia (and possibly Egypt) entering the competition as well.

This last point deserved important elaboration for a very important hidden *secret* agreement between Hindustan and Saudi Arabia. Hindustan desperately needs oil & gas from SA, but it has little to offer in terms of technology or products other than the one thing SA desires ---> NUKES! And this is another strong motivation for Hindustan to weasel its way into the P5 --> i.e. it wants VETO POWER so that its nefarious actions will become IMMUNE to punishment.

This is why Brazil-Turkey "offered" to provide Iran with nuclear fuel ---> in other words, both are trying to become a de-facto nuke power (because they understand only with WMD destructive power could they have greater overall power).

Hence the main reason Turkey is making the play for Palestine, which happens to be Iran's main motivation also. Basically, the non-Arab muslim-dominated countries are vying to represent all the other muslim-dominated countries. Hence, we may see in a few years time Indonesia and Saudi Arabia (and possibly Egypt) entering the competition as well.

This last point deserved important elaboration for a very important hidden *secret* agreement between Hindustan and Saudi Arabia. Hindustan desperately needs oil & gas from SA, but it has little to offer in terms of technology or products other than the one thing SA desires ---> NUKES! And this is another strong motivation for Hindustan to weasel its way into the P5 --> i.e. it wants VETO POWER so that its nefarious actions will become IMMUNE to punishment.

You entire argument, logic and reasons, completely BOLD ME OUT.

Wow ..:hitwall:

Hindustan doesn't need to "weasel" its way into this racket. All things happen in due time. I am surprised why they want to join this circus in the first place.

But they do and that's their choice. And not particularly pertaining to any of your business, SIF.

In case you haven't noticed (why would you since you are busy spinning yarn), Turkey and Brazile together did the PRC (a member of the so-called P-5) a major favour.

That's part of the reason why China is head over heels on condemning Izzies over the Flotilla incident, beating drums, launching UN inquiries, and what not.

I am not defending the Izzies at all - facts condemn them more than any words can - but I disdain "mobbing" by countries whose own motives are suspect.

I am all for the PRC quietly supporting the Iranian people's drive toward scientific modernization and national self-sufficiency. But the PRC sure prefers to stay in the background, rather than the foreground. I understand the rationale as clearly as any.

So it's thank you Brazile, thank you Turkey, thank you good Uncle Sam - PRC is a good boy that just raised the exchange rate.

Now the good boy will yum-yum dim-sum at the G-20 table.

No wonder the "Hindustanis" want to join this racket, too - I stand corrected.

Last edited:
And so the game begins... Very intersting, will this be a repeat of 2001 and 2004 or will somthing worthwhile come out of this? Hmm...

And so the game begins... Very intersting, will this be a repeat of 2001 and 2004 or will somthing worthwhile come out of this? Hmm...

Not easy to say at once.

Atleast, it will question the credibility of UNO even more vigorousely. But on a serious side, untill a joint front come-up against discriminatory structure of UNO, there can not be any positive change. In next 10-12 years, the economies of BRIC countries in particular and of asia in general, would shape up the real outcome of these demands.

Any way it is a long standing necessity and would not be a reality very soon.

Fighter

Back
Top Bottom