Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangladesh two years ahead | The Daily Star

UN Millennium Goals
Bangladesh two years ahead
Hostile climate seen as major threat to progress
Staff Correspondent

Bangladesh has already achieved most targets of the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) two years before the 2015 deadline, but climate change remains a threat to the country, says a government report.

Though developed nations didn’t provide Bangladesh with their pledged assistance, the country achieved many of the MDG targets, says the Planning Commission’s progress report 2012 on the MDGs.

Dr Shamsul Alam, member of General Economics Division of the commission, presented the report at the National Economic Council auditorium in the capital yesterday.

“The threat of climate change can diminish the hard-earned beneficial impacts of years of growth and development, not just for the people in impoverished settlements along the coastal belts and river banks, but for the entire nation,” he said in the presentation.

Speaking as the chief guest at the function, Finance Minister AMA Muhith said big countries — both developing and developed — should check carbon emissions.

Poverty should not exist anywhere in the world by 2030. And the world leaders should think how to keep food and energy prices stable to make it happen, said Muhith.

In 2000, the heads of state and government of 189 countries set the MDG targets to reduce poverty and hunger across the globe by 2015.

Bangladesh is one of the signatories to the MDG charter that has eight main goals with 60 indicators. And of those indicators, 34 have specific targets.

Bangladesh has already met the target in nine indicators, including poverty reduction, attaining gender parity at primary and secondary level education, and reduction in the prevalence of malaria and mortality rate under the age of five, according to the report.

It said Bangladesh is on track in 11 indicators and is expected to achieve the targets by 2015.
Alam, however, said Bangladesh would need more time to achieve the target in case of some MDGs.

He said too many children are still denied their right to primary education and environmental sustainability is under severe threat.

According to the report, at the time of setting the MDG targets, the rich countries said they would provide 0.7 percent of their Gross National Income (GNI) as assistance to the least developed countries, but in reality they gave only 0.29 percent of the GNI.

Foreign assistance to Bangladesh fell to 1.6 percent of the GDP in fiscal 2010-11 from 5.6 percent in 1990-91, showed the report.

Planning Minister AK Khandker, Food Minister Abdur Razzaque and UN Resident Coordinator Neal Walker also spoke at the function.

UN is too generous with setting deadlines. UN should be investigated for setting up such bullshit benchmarks. I guess they also did it for places in Africans, i guess we were compared to sub saharan countries, thus we achieved our 'goals' 2 years ahead.

UN is too generous with setting deadlines. UN should be investigated for setting up such bullshit benchmarks. I guess they also did it for places in Africans, i guess we were compared to sub saharan countries, thus we achieved our 'goals' 2 years ahead.

Goal was to halve the poverty of 1990 by 2015... So if we had 56% poverty in 1990 then our goal was to make it 28% by the year 2015. If for instance India had poverty 48% and their target was set to 24%.

how to know if someone is not living in poverty? what are the criteria?

very poor reporting, said nothing about those, only target achieved, target achieved, ....

Bangladesh has already achieved most targets of the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) two years before the 2015 deadline, but climate change remains a threat to the country, says a government report.

Bangladesh had made some progress over decades, no doubt. But Awami League govt gloating report, how many takers besides Awami League cheer leaders?

Bangladesh two years ahead | The Daily Star

UN Millennium Goals
Bangladesh two years ahead
Hostile climate seen as major threat to progress
Staff Correspondent

Though developed nations didn’t provide Bangladesh with their pledged assistance, the country achieved many of the MDG targets, says the Planning Commission’s progress report 2012 on the MDGs.

Dr Shamsul Alam, member of General Economics Division of the commission, presented the report at the National Economic Council auditorium in the capital yesterday.

“The threat of climate change can diminish the hard-earned beneficial impacts of years of growth and development, not just for the people in impoverished settlements along the coastal belts and river banks, but for the entire nation,” he said in the presentation.

Speaking as the chief guest at the function, Finance Minister AMA Muhith said big countries — both developing and developed — should check carbon emissions.

Poverty should not exist anywhere in the world by 2030. And the world leaders should think how to keep food and energy prices stable to make it happen, said Muhith.

In 2000, the heads of state and government of 189 countries set the MDG targets to reduce poverty and hunger across the globe by 2015.

Bangladesh is one of the signatories to the MDG charter that has eight main goals with 60 indicators. And of those indicators, 34 have specific targets.

Bangladesh has already met the target in nine indicators, including poverty reduction, attaining gender parity at primary and secondary level education, and reduction in the prevalence of malaria and mortality rate under the age of five, according to the report.

It said Bangladesh is on track in 11 indicators and is expected to achieve the targets by 2015.
Alam, however, said Bangladesh would need more time to achieve the target in case of some MDGs.

He said too many children are still denied their right to primary education and environmental sustainability is under severe threat.

According to the report, at the time of setting the MDG targets, the rich countries said they would provide 0.7 percent of their Gross National Income (GNI) as assistance to the least developed countries, but in reality they gave only 0.29 percent of the GNI.

Foreign assistance to Bangladesh fell to 1.6 percent of the GDP in fiscal 2010-11 from 5.6 percent in 1990-91, showed the report.

Planning Minister AK Khandker, Food Minister Abdur Razzaque and UN Resident Coordinator Neal Walker also spoke at the function.

Muhiter bolchal ar vallagena.....

UN may be suffering from all knowledgeable staffs in its payroll. Since you so easily find out faults while many of us cannot, you may volunteer your service to that world organization. It will be a great day for the UN if many people like you volunteer to join that bullshit organization.

UN may be suffering from all knowledgeable staffs in its payroll. Since you so easily find out faults while many of us cannot, you may volunteer your service to that world organization. It will be a great day for the UN if many people like you volunteer to join that bullshit organization.

UN can't afford me.....nor can't UN afford top professionals, they head for top private firms. Thus, the UN is a joke........And I don't believe in volunteer work.

The Daily Amaderorthoneeti July 20, 2013

UN can't afford me.....nor can't UN afford top professionals, they head for top private firms. Thus, the UN is a joke........And I don't believe in volunteer work.
Only a superficial high esteem for oneself does not qualify him for a UN job. Even an unpaid volunteer needs certain qualifications to fulfill before s/he is called for an interview by the world body, UN.

now you have quit indian dalali and started your career as a recruiter for UN? :lol:

No, I was telling the truth about UN. It is not for persons who cannot distinguish between an evil and a good. Your Taliban thinking will not land you a job in good organizations except in some Mullah outfit.

By the way, which organization you think will ever recruit a Taliban, a half-educated one?

UN is lame, why so much praise for it? It is basically AMERICA only. East asian nations and OIC should create a new organization. with cool name like avengers and justice league. i'd say go for avengers league :smokin:

UN is lame, why so much praise for it? It is basically AMERICA only. East asian nations and OIC should create a new organization. with cool name like avengers and justice league. i'd say go for avengers league :smokin:

Why it is lame? It is certainly not. Lame are the Islamic organizations, SAARC or BIMSTEC, but not UN. What is wrong if USA finances it even when that country itself is suffering from economic problems?

Why it is lame? It is certainly not. Lame are the Islamic organizations, SAARC or BIMSTEC, but not UN. What is wrong if USA finances it even when that country itself is suffering from economic problems?

yes the other organizations are more useless but that doesn't make UN any less lame or useless

No, I was telling the truth about UN. It is not for persons who cannot distinguish between an evil and a good. Your Taliban thinking will not land you a job in good organizations except in some Mullah outfit.

By the way, which organization you think will ever recruit a Taliban, a half-educated one?

Mullah thinking disqualifies me from a UN position? You writing your own rules indian dalal un recruiter?:laughcry:

Most of the east-asian nations and Saudis from OIC are in US pockets. OIC, SAARC even BRICS are just lame duck ineffective organizations. UN serves the purpose of US so it is useful for them, not so much for us.

Back
Top Bottom