What's new

Typhoon submarine, the World's Largest Nuclear Submarine!

I think the Ohio class SSBN is the most superior by far, less noise and smaller size can carry more SLBMs and more MIRVs.

Also the W-88 warhead of Mark 5 is also superior to any Russian sea-based warhead.

Russia still can't replicate the American technology from 1990s.

R-39 missile which Typhoon used was too big - 90 tons compare to 32 tons for Trident I and 59 tons for Trident II.

Russia in the past preferred large yield warheads which required larger missiles.

Oh really then what do say to fact that the new Yasen class submarine is superior to the Virginia-class.

Weapon and Technology: Project 885 Yasen / Granay (Severodvinsk class)

Russia can indeed match or surpass US in some areas, but i don't think they have superior air force and naval power than US military force of 1990 overall.

US in 1990 had 6 Nimitz class supercarriers and 8 Ohio class SSBNs, and greatest number of 3rd gen fighters and B-1 and B-52 strategic bombers.

Even i dislike US politically, but i have to admit they are simply too strong. And the best strategy to defend against them instead of challenging them directly.

I think the Ohio class SSBN is the most superior by far, less noise and smaller size can carry more SLBMs and more MIRVs.

Above statements are extremely generalised & I will refrain from coomenting..
Also the W-88 warhead of Mark 5 is also superior to any Russian sea-based warhead.
Sir I feel you are mistaken; here again I provide you the link..care to study the table comparing trident with Sineva. Yield is lower than Russian counterparts ++ you totally have excluded the no. of warheads parameter in your analysis.
DefenceDog: Weapon Races-Strategic Ballistic Missile

Above statements are extremely generalised & I will refrain from coomenting..

Sir I feel you are mistaken; here again I provide you the link..care to study the table comparing trident with Sineva. Yield is lower than Russian counterparts ++ you totally have excluded the no. of warheads parameter in your analysis.
DefenceDog: Weapon Races-Strategic Ballistic Missile

The Trident II missile has a total payload of 2800kg, so it can carry up to 8 warheads (350kg each) of Mark 5.

The yield is 8 X 475kt per missile which is 3.8mt and 24 missiles would yield 91.2mt maximum.

Lets say the Bulava missile has 10 X 150kt per missile which is 1.5mt and 16 missiles would only yield 24mt maximum.

Of course, the Ohio class has more firepower. The only problem US currently has only 400 warheads of Mark 5 in its inventory, but around 3000 of Mark 4 is also available.

Not mentioning their Trident II D5 missile has been successfully tested for the 135th times, it is the most reliable SLBMs by far.

Pak should buy one!! That would give us a guaranteed 2nd strike capability--the reason these were made in the first place. The idea was that they lie under the ice poles for up to six months and then resurface to launch all their nuclear warheads. Each one has about 15 odd nuclear SLBMs with MIRVs so each Typhoon has around a 100 nukes!! Awesome firepower --it was the most feared weapon of the cold war.

Got to admit the Russians are awesome at weapon design!! I read that these things are so huge they even had a swimming pool inside for the recreation of the sailors!! The movie Hunt for Red October featured a fictional Typhoon submarine -- it scared the US shitless when they found what the Soviets had in this sub!

Pak should buy one!! That would give us a guaranteed 2nd strike capability--the reason these were made in the first place. The idea was that they lie under the ice poles for up to six months and then resurface to launch all their nuclear warheads. Each one has about 15 odd nuclear SLBMs with MIRVs so each Typhoon has around a 100 nukes!! Awesome firepower --it was the most feared weapon of the cold war.

Got to admit the Russians are awesome at weapon design!! I read that these things are so huge they even had a swimming pool inside for the recreation of the sailors!! The movie Hunt for Red October featured a fictional Typhoon submarine -- it scared the US shitless when they found what the Soviets had in this sub!

1098038_497296167021946_884937248_n.jpg

REAAALLLLLYYYY?? People say the damndest things on the internet! Fyi,when this thing came out in the 70s the CIA was still insisting Russia couldn't process the titanium necessary for such a fast deep diving sub. Its been 4 decades and the US still doesn't have anything like this-why???

Back
Top Bottom