What's new

Two Polish mountaineers missing after conquering Broad Peak

Asshole! does this look like a comedy thread to you?

kidnapped by terrorists ? or simply trapped in rough weather ?

So sad, I sincerely hoped they could be found safe.

Just read this:

Reported by planetmountain.com

Left: Maciej Berbeka. Right: Tomasz Kowalski
bpkowalskiberbekahimala.jpg

I know the pilot who rescued him in that stripped down bare frame Lama...and if you go by his accounts, the rescue was nothing but miraculous!

Absolutely. Massive mountains generate huge and extremely powerful currents due to their size and that's why we don't see helis flying anywhere near them. Tomas was stuck on the Rupal face (4800m of straight rock wall) at around 6000 meters. Mountain walls are nothing short of wind tunnels. Even in pitch perfect weather the wall will have massive twirling currents taking rock and ice off it and then slamming them right back onto it. At 6000m on a mountain as big as Nangabarbat things get exponentially worse. Now imagine a heli getting close enough to the wall to pick a man off of it. Madness! By all reason, logic and calculations that rescue should not have happened and yet it did. Next time you meet the man please be sure to give him my regards, tell him it's from a man in utmost respect for his achievement.

Absolutely. Massive mountains generate huge and extremely powerful currents due their size and that's why we don't see helis flying anywhere near them. Tomas was stuck on the Rupal face (4800m of straight rock wall) at around 6000 meters. Mountain walls are nothing short of wind tunnels. Even in pitch perfect weather the wall will have massive twirling currents taking rock and ice off it and then slamming them right back onto it. At 6000m on a mountain as big as Nangabarbat things get exponentially worse. Now imagine a heli getting close enough to the wall to pick a man off of it. Madness! By all reason, logic and calculations that rescue should not have happened and yet it did. Next time you meet the man please be sure to give him my regards, tell him it's from a man in utmost respect for his achievement.

Yup...the rotors were inches away from the cliff face...the climber was hanging by a rope (got to it on the 2nd or 3rd try), the heli was absolutely stripped down do bare bones...everything had to go..doors...some instruments...non-essential cockpit items...and the heli was once caught in a draft off the cliff face and swirled to the side!

It takes real guts to do that!

Back
Top Bottom