What's new

Two Pakistani universities ranked among top 200 World’s Technology Universities

it's great news..in general, private education in Pakistan is world standard. If you look at the GMAT and GRE scores of students from Pakistan --they are quite high (I'm an exception, i secured only 590/800 whereas I've seen fellows who secure 630+ even a couple 700s)

I'm surprised LUMS didn't figure on the list.

now the real question is ---- with less corruption (it will never be zero) and with a population that pays taxes (in their entirety, in a timely manner) imagine what lower income Pakistanis could achieve via state funded schools.

again, great news. Access to topnotch education is key to success --and ideally in an un-ideal world -- every human on the face of the earth should be entitled to it

In this list, 76 out of the top 100 universities are Indian. 18 are Pakistani.

Now let us analyze:

(India/Pakistan) top universities ratio: 76/18 = 4.22

(India/Pakistan) population ratio: 1,192,826,000/170,600,000 = 7

(India/Pakistan) land area ratio: 3,387,263 km2/786,095 km2 = 4.38

Pakistan > India

The logic is void unless you also consider how many students enroll in each of those unis and how many research papers they submit.

Maybe because its more comprehensive. I agree math wizards go to ISI, but NIT slightly less quality but many more subjects.

Could be, but specialized institute like Tata Institute of Fundamental Research also in top 10.

I was under the impression that I'm good in math until I took one of the mock test of ISI. :lol:

The Outlook list of top 75 tech unis imo is more realistic.

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?250245

I was under the impression that I'm good in math until I took one of the mock test of ISI. :lol:

Me too... but actually I had the courage (read stupidity) to sit in the actual test... and guess what... (can't describe the feeling here on this forum :no:)

But two of my friends got through :( One of the guys actually represented India at International Maths Olympiad for few years... now prof at a US university... you brought back some good old memories.

How are these rankings given? Is it based on research papers or placements? Or is it quality of faculty? Or perception of students?

How are these rankings given? Is it based on research papers or placements? Or is it quality of faculty? Or perception of students?

Depends on who is doing the ranking. Usually there are listed on the website along with the final rankings.

For outlook rankings, they publish it here: Methodology

I couldn't find any Pakistani University in top 200, yes there were 2 in top 300 though. NUST at 274 and UET at 281. Heres the s

QS World University Rankings - Topuniversities.

Well done Pakistan though, keep up the good work :cheers: But at the end of the day doesn't really matter, just cause my university is in top 25 doesn't automatically makes me the brightest one around here:lol:

P.S: Fellow Indians this is about Pakistani University, so lets just discuss about that. Next thing you know Chinese will join the fun and start showing how there are more Chinese universities in top 200 than Indian ones.

So basically, these ranking are based on perceptions, and that too of only 300 people. Not very convincing...

From the article StingRoy posted.

Institutes were rated on four broad parameters: selection process; academic excellence; infrastructure & facilities; industry exposure & placements (research & employability for medicine/dentistry). To arrive at the importance of these parameters (or weightages), a statistical tool known as conjoint analysis was used.

From the article StingRoy posted.

Yup, conjoint analysis is a statistical tool used in analyzing the results of a survey.

However, why I am questioning these surveys is the fact that these rankings are based on common perception of the control group. Each individual should do their own research on what they believe is the importance of each factor before selecting a university.

Yup, conjoint analysis is a statistical tool used in analyzing the results of a survey.

However, why I am questioning these surveys is the fact that these rankings are based on common perception of the control group. Each individual should do their own research on what they believe is the importance of each factor before selecting a university.

No, I don't think metrics like nfrastructure & facilities, industry exposure & placements have anything to do with perception. Yes academic excellence may have been based on perception. but then again, they are in a better position than us to weigh that, it's more like specialized perception than common perception.

"Regional biases were removed by allotting zonewise weightages to the samples."

^ I didn't fully understand that although!

No, I don't think metrics like nfrastructure & facilities, industry exposure & placements have anything to do with perception. Yes academic excellence may have been based on perception. but then again, they are in a better position than us to weigh that.

"Regional biases were removed by allotting zonewise weightages to the samples."

^ I didn't fully understand that although!

When you take your answers from a secondary source (i.e., the interviewees) rather than just going to the universities and checking them out yourself, you are introducing an element of bias. After all, I'm sure none of these people would have managed to go to ALL universities themselves, and the metrics that you mentioned are being measured in their perception rather than actual measurement.

When you take your answers from a secondary source (i.e., the interviewees) rather than just going to the universities and checking them out yourself, you are introducing an element of bias. After all, I'm sure none of these people would have managed to go to ALL universities themselves, and the metrics that you mentioned are being measured in their perception rather than actual measurement.

HR managers sure would know a lot all those colleges as they recruit from all those places!!

However some bias will be there always. The Outlook ranking seemed to me more realistic than the paid reviews which put IIPM as top college!!

well i just googled world ranking of universities and that website comes up first.
Anyways,i didn't mean to hurt anyone or derail the thread,therefore this thread done for me.

No No actually let him compare. We have 18 universities in top 100, less than 4 times less than what India has for a population which is more than 5 times bigger than ours.

Back
Top Bottom