What's new

Turkish FM says unity of Syria, Iraq crucial for Turkey

Surenas

Reaction score
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has stated that the unity of Syria and Iraq, whose relations with Ankara have been strained, is as important as the unity of Turkey.

Speaking at the opening ceremony of the Fifth Annual Ambassadors' Conference on Wednesday, Davutoğlu addressed Turkey's ambassadors serving abroad and at the Foreign Ministry in Ankara and briefed the participants regarding Turkey's foreign policy and objectives.

Touching upon the recent tension between Turkey and the Iraqi central government, Davutoğlu stated that he wished Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki had followed more inclusive policies in Iraq without excluding some actors. “I wish he had followed a policy open to all parts of Iraq following the withdrawal of American forces,” said Davutoğlu.

Regarding the Syrian crisis, which has become a tough ordeal for Turkey, Davutoğlu stated that he wished embattled President Bashar al-Assad had paid attention to Turkey's calls. “I wish Assad had listened to the calls of his real friends,” said Davutoğlu.

One could say that he is right, and that the unity of Syria and Iraq is not only important to Turkey, but to the whole region. One could also wonder whether Turkey, and in this case, Mr. Davatoglu, has contributed to this growing 'disunity'. By negotiating with the KRG, rather than consulting Baghdad, and tolerating foreign fighters on its soil which are heading to Syria.

I agree, we should focus on the main government and not north Iraq, we should increase relations with Türkmen brothers like before put them under our wing and if not bring them in.

BS... if really Turkey wanted peace in Iraq and Syria... then Turkey should have made sure Syria stayed peaceful... instead Turkey increased the fighting by hosting terrorists and arming them.... the chaos will spread to Turkey, soon...:undecided:

Now what could be the common denominator for Turkey,Syria and Iraq in the context of unity...
It rhymes with bird.

One could say that he is right, and that the unity of Syria and Iraq is not only important to Turkey, but to the whole region. One could also wonder whether Turkey, and in this case, Mr. Davatoglu, has contributed to this growing 'disunity'. By negotiating with the KRG, rather than consulting Baghdad, and tolerating foreign fighters on its soil which are heading to Syria.
Well we all know Iraq and Syria will be devided in the future.
Iraq;north for the kurds,middle for the sunni and the south for the shia.
In Syria its another story,i dont know what exactly will happen there but i guess the kurds will take the north east.

Well we all know Iraq and Syria will be devided in the future.
Iraq;north for the kurds,middle for the sunni and the south for the shia.
In Syria its another story,i dont know what exactly will happen there but i guess the kurds will take the north east.

Why do you think it's unlikely for Turkey to be divided?

Syria situations different from Iraq.

first, Iraq had already signaficant ethnic issue with Kurds..it could extented to 1918.
Second, US and Iran had being agreed on founding new Iraq state by shias pop while Sunni countries like Egypt and Turkey stayed passive. sunni countries took a good lesson from that their error..

In new syria Turkey, Egypt and Saudi gonna be main player and most influntial countries over the Syria. contrary to Iraq US and West will wait outside and Iran will be expelled..
So Syria wont be devided..

Syria situations different from Iraq.

first, Iraq had already signaficant ethnic issue with Kurds..it could extented to 1918.
Second, US and Iran had being agreed on founding new Iraq state by shias pop while Sunni countries like Egypt and Turkey stayed passive. sunni countries took a good lesson from that their error..

In new syria Turkey, Egypt and Saudi gonna be main player and most influntial countries over the Syria. contrary to Iraq US and West will wait outside and Iran will be expelled..
So Syria wont be devided..

I think it's the other way around. Turkey,Egypt and KSA have more potential to gain influence in Syria because of geographical proximity,ethnic and religious reasons. While in the case of Iraq this is true for Iran.

Back
Top Bottom