Turkish Army Orders 250 Locally-Made Altay Main Battle Tanks

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
turkish_a_1541854231.jpg

Turkey's Altay Main battle tank prototype
A deal for the mass production of 250 units of Turkey’s domestically made main battle tank, Altay was signed Friday between the state Defense Industries Presidency (SSB) and armored vehicle maker BMC in Ankara.

The contract includes the mass production and life-cycle logistical support for 250 units. The first Altay tank will roll off the assembly line within 18 months and will be delivered to the Turkish Land Forces, local media quoted SSB President İsmail Demir as saying.

The company will use foreign engines in the first Altay tanks due to “time limitations,” Demir noted.

BMC chairman Ethem Sancak said a partnership was made with a foreign company when making the bid, but they later “ceased the deal to an end” while continuing to benefit from the consultancy services of this company.

The Altay, Turkey’s first main battle tank development program, includes electronic command and control systems, a 120-mm gun, and armor, made by Turkish companies, including Roketsan, Aselsan and Havelsan.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/23...lly_made_Altay_Main_Battle_Tanks#.W-fFUJMzZPY

Its relative.

$5,5-6 million for Altay are :tup:

AMX- 56 Leclerc = $12 million
K2-BlackPanther = ~$8,5 million
Callenger 2 = ~$8,5 million
M1A2 Abrams = ~$8,5 million
Leopard 2A7 = +$7 million
Arjun = $7 million
Merkava IV = $6 million
T-90MS = $4,5 million
Al Khalid I = $4,5 million

Arjun = $7 million
Merkava IV = $6 million
T-90MS = $4,5 million
oh wow. I thought M1 was in the ballpark of $7 mill Al Khalid $3-4 mill. Now i m really interested in Leclerc.
I wonder how much Type 90 cost the Japs.
Anyway ty for correction.

Altay is based on Korean K-2. While K-2 weighs 54-55 T, Altay weighs 65 T.

So do we have the final specifications of the tank (that would be used in mass production version?)

Would love to see those.

This tank has taken ages

so whats the final on the engine?

Arjun = $7 million
Merkava IV = $6 million
T-90MS = $4,5 million
It is relative,if you build it in a Western European country like Germany France UK Italy Spain etc,the costs would be at least 30% higher.
So,it depends on where it is built.

This tank has taken ages

so whats the final on the engine?
MTU(1500 hp) for the first batch(as planned).

Last edited:
It is relative,if you build it in a Western European country like Germany France UK Italy Spain etc,the costs would be at least 30% more.
So,it depends on where it is built.

MTU(1500 hp) for the first batch(as planned).
Isn't labour cheaper in Pakistan? Why can't we outsource some components?

Arjun = $7 million
Merkava IV = $6 million
T-90MS = $4,5 million
These figures are out of date. (Altay included)

Because of today's threat factors(especially advanced anti-tank threats) and developing asymmetric warfare, situational awareness, electronic and active protection, ballistic protection levels needs changing.

If you look at the modernization / renewal of the French and the British works in this area, you will see that European producers have a very high cost to produce an up-to-date mbt.

So do we have the final specifications of the tank (that would be used in mass production version?)

Would love to see those.
DrjxWnsX4AUcuYs.jpg

The most important target T2 variant in the first phase.

The basic configuration (with APS) will be produced in a limited number.

But in order to prevent the loss of time created by the necessary design verification processes, mass production will start with the project delivered by Otokar. So you can find a lot of information on T1, in Turkey section.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom