What's new

Turkey becoming self-sufficient in defense as imports decrease

Saithan

Reaction score

Bolstered by the decreasing dependence on foreign sources and an increase in domestic production, Turkey's imports for the defense and aerospace industries have been declining. The Defense and Aerospace Manufacturers Foundation (SASAD) evaluated the performance of the sector last year, and according to data released by SASAD, the swift development of Turkey in the defense and aerospace industries has been reflected in the economy based on data from 176 manufacturer firms representing 90 percent of Turkey's advanced technology sector. The Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) and public institutions satisfied their demand for maritime, land, and air platforms as well as aerospace, electronic and smart systems through domestically produced goods.

This trend has been accompanied by the start of the domestic manufacturing of new products, either through technology transfer or advances, and has contributed significantly to the reduction in imports.

While Turkey imported goods worth $1.4 billion in 2012, imports were $1.33 billion and $1.35 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively. However, last year, there was a remarkable fall as imports totaled just $1.07 billion. In terms of quantity, imports decreased 21 percent last year in comparison with the preceding year.

An examination of import details revealed that Europe ranked first in terms of selling defense and aerospace industry products to Turkey, with $511 million in sales, followed by the U.S., with $410 million.

While the imports of land platforms were valued the highest last year, at $422 million, they were followed by military platforms, civil aviation products and maritime platforms, at $255 million, $236 million and $129 million, respectively.

source: http://www.dailysabah.com/defense/2...ent-in-defense-as-imports-decrease-1468183852

Mashallah! Wishing best of luck to Turkish brothers.

Turkey can one day become a reliable supplier of quality defense products comparable to Western one's to Muslim countries, and Muslim countries with capital can invest in Turkish defense industry for join projects and further development.

Mutual benefit for all!

Inshallah we all live to see that day! :)

Mashallah! Wishing best of luck to Turkish brothers.

Turkey can one day become a reliable supplier of quality defense products comparable to Western one's to Muslim countries, and Muslim countries with capital can invest in Turkish defense industry for join projects and further development.

Mutual benefit for all!

Inshallah we all live to see that day! :)

Muslim countries with capital prefers to buy Western hardware off the shelf.

@Bubblegum Crisis :rolleyes:

Have been watching Turkey closely in recent years, keep going and don't look back. I hope Pakistan can become more economically stronger soon so both can really support each other on all fronts making a formidable team.

Doesn't seem so as it is ultimately relied on other's countries weapons.

Just saying, the profile picture is the one giving you all the food while the Arab states don't care about you
And Palestine doesn't exist
Peace.

Are you high? This thread is about Turkish self reliance in defence not your insecurities regarding Palestine. Considering you took a topic which was going west and took it towards east you need some serious therapy sessions for obsessive compulsive disorder.

Have been watching Turkey closely in recent years, keep going and don't look back. I hope Pakistan can become more economically stronger soon so both can really support each other on all fronts making a formidable team.

We really need a strong Pakistan I really wish both countries could get rid of terrorism

Inshallah this will happen and than we could see how fast both countries will develop..

Muslim countries with capital prefers to buy Western hardware off the shelf.

@Bubblegum Crisis :rolleyes:

My great Brother,

I think the political will is now increasingly welded (Turkey and KSA/UAE). Yes we buy yet Western hardware off the shelf.

But the most critical components for a real ‘full independence’ have not yet mastered - for now, 2016 - by Turkey. This is the main element of waiting.

Anka-S Satcom okay, but where is the engine? Atak T-129, where is the engine? Altay, again where is the engine? Not talking about a jet fighter 4/5 generation -TFX - (Engine, missile - BVRAAM -, radar). Anti-ballistic missile defense (Type Patriot or Samp/T) still a lot of work… The naval, this is only the first real frigate (TF-2000) - VLS again need - and independent submarine (More efficient hydrogen fuel cell with more autonomy).

Space, where is the expendable launch system ?

It is only the beginning after ’600 years’ outside the real business of the world for us (Arabs). I am extremely optimistic. It takes time to do well very serious - It's not easy -. I follow scrupulously all Turkish military technological developments and I know this will be achieved. This is only the beginning, so patience.

Last edited:
We have long way to go. But for the beginning it's good.

Back
Top Bottom