What's new

Trip to GB

DESERT FIGHTER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
@krash. @Wajsal. @unleashed.

After a lot of noise,excuses (I was always looking for one, it seems).

I've finally decided to go on a pilgrimage to GB. (After EID 1st or second week)... And would need your help !

So here is the thing;

I'm in Karachi, and the city's weather for a highlander is intolerable... plus, past 2 months have been hectic as hell. So I thought, why not take out some time (7-10 days) and see the northern region of the country, praised by all for its beauty and hospitality.

So I decided it was time for a road trip, although everyone's has been convincing me to take a flight..

Since I'm traveling with family (Mrs DESERT FIGHTER) :lol:

So I've decided to take a flight to Lahore (have some work + meet up with school,univ friends).

So the real road trip starts from there (Lahore).

Planning ;

Lahore to Abbotabad.

Stay a night ..

And than to Gilgit

And than other places from there.

Help me with the trip fellas.

Sort out the route,places to visit, situation of roads etc.

I envy you dude. 8-)
1. Book your accommodation before you leave. That's the only problem tourist face these days due to high in flow.
2. Try to hire local driver if possible (As non locals are not used to KKH).
3. keep yourself updated regarding weather.

Have a great trip....:cheers:

I've finally decided to go on a pilgrimage to GB. (After EID 1st or second week)... And would need your help !

So here is the thing;

I'm in Karachi, and the city's weather for a highlander is intolerable... plus, past 2 months have been hectic as hell. So I thought, why not take out some time (7-10 days) and see the northern region of the country, praised by all for its beauty and hospitality.

So I decided it was time for a road trip, although everyone's has been convincing me to take a flight..

So I've decided to take a flight to Lahore (have some work + meet up with school,univ friends).

Planning ;

Lahore to Abbotabad.

Stay a night ..

And than to Gilgit

Should be smooth. Karachi kah toh Allah hey waaris hey, no water, no electricity...
If you want it to be romantic go to Hunza.
When we go we basically make a number of stops, have to stop in Chilas, Goner farm, go to Gilgit, Hunza and then our Ghizer side...
I think you should go straight to Gilgit, and then to Hunza. It'll be worth it. Do post images.

you should probably go from the kaghan naran route
the other route is very bad with all the dam construction and thing
Btw if you want an enjoyable travel you should stay one day at lulusar and then move toward the north..

I envy you dude. 8-)
1. Book your accommodation before you leave. That's the only problem tourist face these days due to high in flow.
2. Try to hire local driver if possible (As non locals are not used to KKH).
3. keep yourself updated regarding weather.

Have a great trip....:cheers:
I'm used to worse tracks/roads...

But yes, landslides are an issue..specially if ones travelling with family.

6 years back.. I got stuck on DIK-Zhob road, due to heavy flash floods which wiped out the roads and non stop biblical rain, which continued to pour for days.. spent almost a week there.

So here is the thing;

Planning ;

Lahore to Abbotabad.

Stay a night ..

And than to Gilgit

For exactly how many days? And what sort of a trip do you want to have? Activity based? Adventure based? Or leisure based? Since you're going with the Mrs. I'm guessing it's more leisure based? Any top picks for the spots you might wanna see? Would you be driving yourself from Lahore onwards? Which car? Will the Mrs. be comfortable with long stretches of non-stop driving or would you rather want to make stops and take it easy?

And why were people telling you to take a flight? Pfffft.....noobs.

For exactly how many days? And what sort of a trip do you want to have? Activity based? Adventure based? Or leisure based?

7-10 days.

Trekking,hiking,camping,sight seeing!

Since you're going with the Mrs. I'm guessing it's more leisure based? Any top picks for the spots you might wanna see?
Was hoping to cover all spots in the time.

What would be your advice..
Would you be driving yourself from Lahore onwards? Which car? Will the Mrs. be comfortable with long stretches of non-stop driving or would you rather want to make stops and take it easy?

Either a 2016 civic (auto), or il have to take a 4x4 vehicle from karachi which would be hectic.

Driving non stop wouldn't be advisable in her condition. So id like to stay a night maybe at abbotabad or naran? Maybe besham?

And why were people telling you to take a flight? Pfffft.....noobs.
Due to landslides and stuff?

Man. You are so lucky. Post images and also post the expenditure of the trips. You can get every advice about a trip but never an accurate estimate of the expenditure especially accommodations. Will be looking forward to your return and images.

After EID. Hmm why not august or does Baluchistan have different court holidays?
Bcz here its august for civil, 21 days for session and July-august for high court lahore.

Well enjoy. Man you are lucky. About to venture into heaven on earth.

@WAJsal yar you live in such heaven that I seriously sometimes think of just leaving this burning hell and shift to northern areas. Wonder if I can give my bar exam in gilgit? If I can, the shifting plans just got a boost.

Man. You are so lucky. Post images and also post the expenditure of the trips. You can get every advice about a trip but never an accurate estimate of the expenditure especially accommodations. Will be looking forward to your return and images.

After EID. Hmm why not august or does Baluchistan have different court holidays?
Bcz here its august for civil, 21 days for session and July-august for high court lahore.

Well enjoy. Man you are lucky. About to venture into heaven on earth.

@WAJsal yar you live in such heaven that I seriously sometimes think of just leaving this burning hell and shift to northern areas. Wonder if I can give my bar exam in gilgit? If I can, the shifting plans just got a boost.
Im in Karachi man.

Past few months have been heavy.
Moving to a new city
Renovating the house
Mothers health issues and surgery
Work related stuff
Hot weather

As for expenditure, depends on how much you are willing to spend.

The main costs would be accommodation. Depending on where you stay.

Ive already started to look for that (look rooms in Serena hotels,eagle nest).. if not, than try for army guest rooms.

Im in Karachi man.

Past few months have been heavy.
Moving to a new city
Renovating the house
Mothers health issues and surgery
Work related stuff
Hot weather

As for expenditure, depends on how much you are willing to spend.

The main costs would be accommodation. Depending on where you stay.

Ive already started to look for that (look rooms in Serena hotels,eagle nest).. if not, than try for army guest rooms.

if you want i can recommend you hotels for you to book..

have a pleasant trip bro.
we r also planning for a swift trip.
we r 3 friends from oman the other 2 r arabs i showed them pictures of northern areas they got crazy.keep posting details it might help me also

First of all I am extremely sorry for being MIA and not replying in time at all. I've been in a mess and barely had enough time to breathe.

Ok so for starters we have 2 choices Skardu and adjoining areas and Hunza and adjoining areas. I'd recommend Hunza for your first trip. It's beauty is more of a traditional sort and is a more romantic area (given the Mrs.) than the absolute wild ruggedness that is Skardu.

Now my advise for the itinerary would be as following:

Leave Lahore in the early morning, say 6am. 4-5 hours on the M2 will place you in Islamabad just before noon. Have an early fancy lunch there but don't stick for too long. Leave around 12 and drive straight to Naran. Staying in Abottabad would be a stop without any added benefit, it's pretty boring, at least to me. You should reach Balakot at around 6pm. You can stay the night here if the drive is getting to you. Plus staying the night here would offer spectacular views of the Kaghan valley in day light. However, I'd personally keep on till Naran. This way the drive next day will be less hectic and get you to Karimabad early. It would also give you a better place to stay at (PTDC) than Balakot.

Given that we don't want to tire the Mrs. too much and also the Kaghan's spectacular views I'm going to recommend staying at Balakot. The lesser accommodation will only add to the sense of adventure. There is a small motel on your right as soon as you cross the bridge over the Kunhar, behind this motel is a doable hotel. It's not much but the view of the river from here is pretty nice. Have the chapli kabab from the dhaba just before the bridge for dinner.

Wake up early next morning, around 6 am. This time will be mystical in the valley. It will take you around 4-5 hrs from here to reach Naran. Fuel up your car and have a light breakfast before leaving Balakot and then have a proper brunch in Naran, it will give you an excuse to stop there, although it'll be pretty anticlimactic; the tourists have ruined the place. Don't stay past 1pm. Fight the urge to check out Saifulmalook. As soon as you pass the PTDC in Naran you won't have any phone signals or fuel stations for a while. You will then drive straight to Babusar Pass, passing Batakundi, Jalkhad and the Lulusar Lake. The road is good all the way now. You'll reach the Pass at around 3-4pm. Corssing over you'll enter the Diamir District of Gilgit just after Chillas and join the KKH. The people here are a little not nice so I'd recommend to just drive it out. At around 7pm you'll cross the Raikot Bridge, this is where you'd hire a jeep to take you to Fairy Meadows over and across the mountains to the east. Crossing the bridge the road will become much better. From here you'll reach the Nangaparbat view point in about 2 hours. The mountain won't be visible due to the fading light but you'll see it on your way back. An hour and a half further from there you'll hit Jaghlot. You can have dinner here, there's an army depot here and a station in the near by Bunji town. With your contacts you can have dinner here instead of the dhabas outside in the town. I'd recommend staying the night here, they have reasonable rooms in Bunji. Next morning you can wake up a little later, you'll be almost there. So leave at around 10. In an hour or so from Jaghlot you'll reach the 'Junction point of the three highest mountain ranges in the world'. Very cool place. You'll be standing on the Hindukush, the Himalayas would be across the Indus to your right while a mighty, almost black, mountain of the Karakoram would be standing right in front of you. From here it would take you around half an hour to reach Alam Bridge. Were you going to Skardy you'd have crossed this bridge towards east onto the Gilgit-Skardu road. But you will continue on the KKH for another 2-3 hours and reach Gilgit. Have lunch here and take the wife around the bazar for some shopping. Contrary to popular belief Gilgit isn't very beautiful. Having had lunch you'll drive another 3 hours straight to Karimabad. Congratulations, you are now in Hunza.

I shall continue tomorrow. Sehri time now :p

Let me know what you think about the above. Any questions or changes you want made? Any info that I might have missed?

ps: I sincerely apologise for the delayed response. I hope I'm not too late.

Back
Top Bottom