What's new

Touching story of Pak war widow's trip to India

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
A PAF pilot's tale

On September 7, 1965 - day one of the Indo-Pak war - Squadron Leader Alam Siddiqui of the Pakistan Air Force said goodbye to his 21-year-old bride and took off from Karachi.

He flew into the enemy territory in his B-57 bomber, never to return again.

"The day he died, he came home to tell us the war had started. He asked my mom to look after us. I was happy he was doing some service to the country. It was the last time that I saw him. I saw his plane take off, says Squadron Leader Alam Siddiqui's widow, Shenaz.

Shenaz remembers her husband as someone whose intensity of love was very strong. "I was too young to respond. I wish he was alive so that I could respond to it," she says.

After his death life for this 21-year-old came to a complete standstill. The only source of strength came from friends and family.

Alam's best friend, Najeeb Khan, who was also from the same squadron, says, "It never comes to into our mind that we're seeing someone for the last time. There is an internal optimism about life as an Airforce pilot. When I came back from my mission, my OC told me that Alam hadn't returned."

He believes that an anti-aircraft gun must have hit Alam's plane.

"After 5 months, when some prisoners were exchanged, they sent his wallet back with my photo in it. I knew he had crashed in Jamnagar, but I thought they would send his body back if he was dead. Since they did not, I though he was still alive," remembers Shenaz.

For the next 40 years, Shenaz kept alive with the hope that Alam would return. One day, five years had passed, her mother suggested that she remarry.

"I got remarried but told my second husband that I was still in love with Alam. My husband was a good man. He said if Alam returns, he would be the first one to hand me over to him. Even in my second husband's home, there were photos of Alam," she says.

Najeeb's wife Surriya says, "Many war widows remarried, but they never forget their first husbands. After all, first love always remains."

Love knows no boundaries and understands no reason. Does it? Otherwise why would a Pakistani woman, sitting in Toronto watching an Indian film, think that Squadron Leader Veer Pratap Singh in reel life could perhaps be Squadron Leader Siddiqui Alam in real life.

Shenaz confesses that when she saw Veer Zaara in Toronto, she was very depressed.

"Shani kept saying - Najeeb bhai, do you think Alam is alive in the Indian jails somewhere. I knew it couldn't be true. But just to put a final chapter to the to the whole sad event, I wrote to Yash Chopra, the air chief and Shahrukh Khan," says Najeeb.

"I wrote a mail that Alam had been killed in 65, but his wife hadn't reconciled. It's my duty and wish to bring a closure. I wanted to know if Alam had been killed, if there was a grave and if they could help us with visas," he says.

And Najeeb's request was well-accepted. "The way he wrote the mail that he had crossed the sound barrier but he was not sure if he could cross the barrier of the heart. He said that he wanted to do this for his friend's wife. It struck an emotional chord in me," says the air chief.

"I did research based on his request. This had come from one collegue to another, so it was special. I am an air warrior, I've taken part in these wars. I could understand these sentiments," he added.

Old records were opened, history was delved into and villagers questioned. "It took us a while. Whatever info we got, we wrote to Najeeb bhai, says the air chief.

The investigation carried out by the Indian Airforce confirmed what Shenaz had never wanted to believe for for decades - Squardon Leader Alam Siddiqui's B-57 bomber, stacked with explosives, had crashed in a field near Jamnagar in Gujarat.

Nothing remained of either the plane or the pilot. There was no grave, no epitaph for this Pakistani pilot who died on the first day of the 65 war.

Just a field that became a shrine of the fighter pilot she had loved and lost miles away from her hometown, in a small village in Jamnagar in Gujarat.

There was no doubt in Shehnaaz's mind that this was one pilgrimage she had to make. Even if it meant that this journey would dash the very hopes that Shehnaaz had clung on to all these years. And here's where the story begins.

"All the way in my flight from Toronto to India, I kept thinking that maybe the investigation has gone wrong somewhere. Alam is still alive," says Shenaz.

"I have always wanted to come to Jamnagar in my alternate reality. I have often thought that I would be here one day and I would find him here," she adds.

And when she reached Jamnagar, she did find him here, though not in the way she had hoped to.

In her conversation with the investigation officer, Shehnaaz asked him of how the crash took place and if any of the villagers were hurt.

"No, ma'am. Nothing like that happened. The village was evacuated. It wasn't his mistake," he asnwered.

At the site where a Pakistani Airforce plane crashed with the pilot on board, an Indian Airforce officer comforts the widow of the supposed enemy.

This is where borders cease to exist. Sometimes it doesnt matter which flag you wear on your chest as long as you have a soldiers heart beating inside you.

"Alam was born in India, but he couldn't visit India often. He often told me that he would bring me to the Taj Mahal since it symbolised eternal love. He said he would share the same sentiment of love with me there," says Shenaz.

Alam's friend, Najeeb confesses, "The sadness hasn't gone away. But we know that we did whatever we could in this context."

Overwhelmed by the help provided by the Air Chief, Najeeb saluted to the Air Chief. "I had not saluted any one in a long time, but with my full heart, I salute you with honour and dignity," he said to the Air Chief.

As she visited the Amar Jawan Jyoti at New Delhi, she paid homage not just Indian soldiers, but to their families as well, who shared the same pain with her even though the borders separated them.

"We are the same people, the same region, sharing the same culture. This war, it's so useless. It's the common people like us who lose. I hope there's never any war between the two countries. I hope nobody else suffers like me," Shenaz appeals.

Bahut dino baad kuch acha padha PDF main. Very touchy. May god bless his soul. May Allah makes her smile and give her happiness.

War is " Old man decides, young man fights, no body wins, everybody in the middle dies. " Is not it ?

i liked the whole article , it was moving , except this

"I got remarried but told my second husband that I was still in love with Alam. My husband was a good man. He said if Alam returns, he would be the first one to hand me over to him. Even in my second husband's home, there were photos of Alam," she says."

As a guy i cannot wrap around my head what was going inside second husband's mind and how weak personality he was that even after so many years of marriage his wife could not get closure and used to keep Alams Pic inside their house . And he married her even after knowing that she would leave him as soon as first husband came . Obviously he wouldn't have came back but still ...

Maybe i am very young or very stupid but this is what i think .

The human side of war. :(

"I got remarried but told my second husband that I was still in love with Alam. My husband was a good man. He said if Alam returns, he would be the first one to hand me over to him. Even in my second husband's home, there were photos of Alam," she says."

As a guy i cannot wrap around my head what was going inside second husband's mind and how weak personality he was that even after so many years of marriage his wife could not get closure and used to keep Alams Pic inside their house . And he married her even after knowing that she would leave him as soon as first husband came . Obviously he wouldn't have came back but still ...

whipped%2Bdemotivator.jpg

why can't we settle what ever issue we have so no wife sister and mother had to go trough this pain
mate believe me there are millions of people in this side of the border who want the same thing to happen.after all our ancestors used to live together in the same country with peace and harmony,so why can't we do the same now!i for one want this bloody ongoing enmity between our countries over once and for all.i just hope that this dream of mine will become a reality in the near future:agree:

What a read..... Touched my heart..... This is the real story of a War..... As arm chair generals i have seen guys talking about war... attacking the other country.... Nuking the other country....... We are lucky that we haven't lost anyone in a war.... If we had i am sure we would never ever ask or justify a WAR......

It shows his big heartedness. Love does not have to be exclusive to be real.

''True love in this differs from gold and clay,
That to divide is not to take away.''

What would the second huband expect anyway? That the woman should stop loving her first husband, whom she did not divorce or run away from, but died fighting on behalf of the country? Love is not an engine that can be started and stopped at convenience. He could choose not to talk about her ex and ask her not to, and maybe pretendd that it never happened, but it is far more honourable to simply accept the reality and still be in love. It shows how strong he is, not how weak. A weak man would slap her for ever mentioning her previous husband, because he would be consumed by jealousy, and would try to impose his will on her by force. But a man who is beyond such negative emotions, and accepts her for what she is, is a strong man.

It shows his big heartedness. Love does not have to be exclusive to be real.

''True love in this differs from gold and clay,
That to divide is not to take away.''

What would the second huband expect anyway? That the woman should stop loving her first husband, whom she did not divorce or run away from, but died fighting on behalf of the country? Love is not an engine that can be started and stopped at convenience. He could choose not to talk about her ex and ask her not to, and maybe pretendd that it never happened, but it is far more honourable to simply accept the reality and still be in love. It shows how strong he is, not how weak. A weak man would slap her for ever mentioning her previous husband, because he would be consumed by jealousy, and would try to impose his will on her by force. But a man who is beyond such negative emotions, and accepts her for what she is, is a strong man.

It's Simply unrequited love . She did not mention even once she loves her current husband . And marrying someone who does not love you the same way that you love them imho is a sign of weakness .

It's Simply unrequited love . She did not mention even once she loves her current husband . And marrying someone who does not love you the same way that you love them imho is a sign of weakness .

Just because she did not mention it in this article to us, does not mean she doesn't. I'm sure she says it to him all the time. Why are you assuming that she does not love him like he loves her, and that his love is unrequited? Their love is not relevant to this article, which is why it is not mentioned or emphasized.

Let's not jump to assumptions about how much they love each other or not, and other such private matters from this article, which is mainly about her love for her ex husband, who died in war.

This is where borders cease to exist. Sometimes it doesn't matter which flag you wear on your chest as long as you have a soldiers heart beating inside you.
Very well said. But this is what most cannot understand.

Brothers in Arms - By Dire Straits

Just because she did not mention it in this article to us, does not mean she doesn't. I'm sure she says it to him all the time. Why are you assuming that she does not love him like he loves her, and that his love is unrequited? Theit love is not relevant to this article, which is why it is not emphasized.

Let's not jump to assumptions about how much they love eeach other or not, and other such private matters, from this article which is mainly about her love for her ex husband, who died in war.

You are doing the same thing you are accusing me of . And i commented on the article as well .

You are doing the same thing you are accusing me of . And i commented on the article as well .
OK, then scratch that bolded part and make it ''She probably says that to him all the time''. Of course I can't be sure about that unless I bug their house, but usually the expression ''I'm sure'' is used to express something that we can guess, not literally that one is sure of. That is why we never say ''I'm sure that one plus one is two'' or that ''I'm sure that MMS is the PM of India'', although we are sure of those. But we do say ''I'm sure XYZ is considering a bid for presidency'' and so on, to indicate a guess one is reasonably certain of.

The point is that there is nothing in the article to suggest that she doesn't love her second husband, so let's not make such an assumption. Agreed, there is no reason to be sure that she is either, but the fact that she is married to him should make that a reasonable guess. Anyway, let's not speculate on it.

This is the sad human side of war, war is just young men dying.....

Back
Top Bottom