What's new

Threat of ISI greater after exit of Musharraf: India

Flintlock

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Threat of ISI greater after exit of Musharraf: India

New Delhi (PTI): The threat of ISI has become greater after exit of Pervez Musharraf, India has said and wondered whether the present dispensation in Islamabad would be able to rein in the notorious intelligence agency which has become "hyper-active" in the recent months.

National Security Adviser M K Narayanan said Indo-Pak ties had seen a "fair degree" of progress during Musharraf's tenure and several "half cooked" and "three-quarter cooked" ideas to improve relations were in pipeline which can be taken forward with "great statesmanship" and "courage".

He said Kashmir "isn't the easiest thing" to resolve and wondered whether the PPP leader Asif Ali Zardari, a "friend" of India who is likely to be the President of Pakistan, is "going to take it on as the first test of his leadership."

The NSA praised Pakistani Army Chief General Kayani as "a widely respected professional soldier" but was not sure if he had the capability to rein in ISI and other anti-India elements.

"Yes," Narayanan said in an interview to Karan Thapar for 'India Tonight' programme when asked whether in the absence of Musharraf the threat from the ISI has become greater.

"In the last few months, the ISI has been hyperactive in many ways... and we are concerned that kind of activity could increase because that's what they know how to do best," he said.

"I think the ISI, even under President Musharraf, were not controlled to the extent we would have liked.
If that is not the case and you now have a civilian administration that's still trying to find its feet and an army general who has stepped back and is not anxious to get involved in affairs of state, now (in those circumstances) what position could the ISI come to," Narayanan said.

"Intelligence agencies are like alsatians, they have to be kept under check. Musharraf was the president and chief of the army. Few people have held such authority.

"Kayani is, of course, the chief of the army and should be able to control the ISI. But if President Musharraf, wearing two hats, could not curb all their activities, then I don't know if Kayani can do very much better ... I think intelligence agencies tend to become very difficult when they have no real masters."

Pointing out that the incidents of ceasefire violation by Pakistan have increased, he, however, said "they don't really add up to what we would call a major effort to roll back the ceasefire of 2003... second, I don't think Pakistan is today really in a position to think of a major offensive.

"The point really is why is this happening? What does it mean? It's a function of the absence of strong central control. People are doing many more things than they would do if there had been tighter control."

Talking about Gen Kayani, he wondered whether he would "work against our interests or not."

"I don't think we have seen any evidence that he will work against our interests. The question we are interested in is (that) is he strong enough to take on those elements who we know (are against us)," he said, adding "there is no strong central authority" in that country.

The Hindu News Update Service

Zardari very friendly to India: Narayanan

* Indian security adviser says Gen Ashfaq Kayani ‘widely respected soldier’

LAHORE: Presidential frontrunner Asif Zardari “is very friendly to India” but may not be able to deliver on his promise of good ties with it, Indian National Security Adviser MK Narayanan said on Saturday, in his first comments on Pakistan since General (r) Musharraf’s resignation.

Talking to the CNBC TV18 channel in its programme India Tonight, he said the rift between Zardari and Nawaz Sharif was not likely to narrow and expressed doubts the PPP government would be stable.

He said Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Kayani was “a widely respected professional soldier”, but questioned whether he had the power to control the ISI. “General Kayani ... is not interested in running Pakistan other than in defending Pakistan . . . The question is will General Kayani work against our interests? I don’t think we’ve seen any evidence that he will.” daily times monitor

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Zardari very friendly to India: Narayanan

* Indian security adviser says Gen Ashfaq Kayani ‘widely respected soldier’

LAHORE: Presidential frontrunner Asif Zardari “is very friendly to India” but may not be able to deliver on his promise of good ties with it, Indian National Security Adviser MK Narayanan said on Saturday, in his first comments on Pakistan since General (r) Musharraf’s resignation.

Talking to the CNBC TV18 channel in its programme India Tonight, he said the rift between Zardari and Nawaz Sharif was not likely to narrow and expressed doubts the PPP government would be stable.

He said Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Kayani was “a widely respected professional soldier”, but questioned whether he had the power to control the ISI. “General Kayani ... is not interested in running Pakistan other than in defending Pakistan . . . The question is will General Kayani work against our interests? I don’t think we’ve seen any evidence that he will.” daily times monitor

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Well i wonder what promises did he make with his friends in India or should i say with his second home? By the way friends or no friends, he'll charge 10% of every deal, business is after all business.

A piece of advice for Narayanan SB, he should not put too much faith into Zardari SB because as much as Zaradari would want to contain the ISI and get a few million bucks, it isn't going to happen, and he'll be better off without interfering into the matters of the Armed forces and the ISI.

Look - India's, especially 'advocate state sponsored terrorism' Narayanan's, job is to badmouth the ISI - it has been the modus operandi for years now.

The periodic utterances, especially with the mass protests in Kashmir against Indian occupation, are designed to continue to keep the bogeyman of the ISI fresh in the minds of Indians - propaganda and incitement of hatred against Pakistan (or the institutions deemed to be controlling it). And by this means, cast aspersions on the legitimacy of the Kashmir protests, and possibly kill any sentiment of allowing Kashmiris to choose their own destiny amongst Indians.

Its psy-ops directed at shaping the thinking of Indians.

Last edited:
Its again the ISI " phobia " . Its been a dream of the Indian high ups to defame the agency ever since we were kids , anything that went wrong in India ISI is to blamed, now they have the West convinced to sing the same tune. I think it is an effort to malign ISI as they know that a tit for tat response can be triggered if RAW does not stop helping MOSAD in interfering in our tribal areas. Realistically if the Indians think that RAW is well reigned under their control why do they fear so much about ISI when actually speaking in terms of resources and cap RAW is monstrous.

ROW's kids cant responce tit for tat against ISI then indian media do this job

Oh that's nice so then why u guys keep playing cry baby about indian consulates and balochistan haan?

we will never crying more then indian media. if some one say true and show indians real face then you say crying.most of consulates involve inside pakistan tarerrst acts 100%.even afghans don't want your counsletes there when karzai will leave we seen who many indians can stay in afghanistan:disagree:

we will never crying more then indian media. if some one say true and show indians real face then you say crying.most of consulates involve inside pakistan tarerrst acts 100%.even afghans don't want your counsletes there when karzai will leave we seen who many indians can stay in afghanistan:disagree:

what 100% do you have proof about this? afgans don't want consulates have they came and told you personally haan.

:rofl:

When will Indians learn to come out of ISI phobia ???

And BTW yeh India will continue its tactics to pressurise zardari to fulfil the sinsiter dream of destroying ISI (I Scare India)

what 100% do you have proof about this? afgans don't want consulates have they came and told you personally haan.

what a kidding:lol: i read one place indians never open there windows of these counslates because may be one AK47 wait outside.and why not there is one counslate before 9/11.proofs our gov already give to GOI you can ask [mona] mr manmohny:sick:

what a kidding:lol: i read one place indians never open there windows of these counslates because may be one AK47wait outside.and why not there is one counslate before 9/11.proofs our gov already give to GOIyou can ask [mona] mr manmohny:sick:

:P :P Imran dont wast your time buddy.

I am enjoying everytime Indians come up with ISI phobia.

:chilli:

what a kidding:lol: i read one place indians never open there windows of these counslates because may be one AK47 wait outside.and why not there is one counslate before 9/11.proofs our gov already give to GOI you can ask [mona] mr manmohny:sick:

He he he you must have read it in your dreams.

Hey just learn to respect some person. Then only you will get respect in return. His name is Mr. Manmohan singh.

What proofs? that one of "structure of guns" come on come up with some thing better. But you don't because you don't have it.

He he he you must have read it in your dreams.

Hey just learn to respect some person. Then only you will get respect in return. His name is Mr. Manmohan singh.

What proofs? that one of "structure of guns" come on come up with some thing better. But you don't because you don't have it.

The counsulats are there for selling fish to Afghans ;)

Back
Top Bottom