What's new

Thousands of pilgrims from Bangladesh arrive in eastern India

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...th-urs-festival-in-bengal-117021600842_1.html

A special train carrying over 2000 devotees from Bangladesh arrived here today on the occasion of Urs.

The festival is observed every year near the Jora Masjid at Mirza Bazar area of Midnapore city in West Midnapore district where devotees offer flowers, chhaddars and itr to the shrine of the venerated saint Hazrat Syed Shah Mehr Ali Alquadri Al Baghdadi.

Altogether 2133 devotees arrived in the train originating from Rajbari in Bangladesh to participate in the festival which entered its 116th year.

The four-day festival began yesterday.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

About Medinipur Zilla in west Bengal: It was a part of Orissa until the 1748, when Nawab Aliwardy Khan of Bengal joined this area with Bengal proper. He gave the remaining most part of Orissa to the Maratha, who appointed Meer Habib, the brother-in-law of former Nawab Malik Sarfaraz Khan of Bengal, as the governor. Aliwardy, the then governor of Bihar (under Bengal), slained Sarfaraz on 26th April, 1740 at the Battle of Giria in Rajmahal, and became the Subedar of Bengal.

Sorry for my half-learned lecture on history. I did not know there is such a shrine/mosque in Medinipur, where people from many parts of Bengal and other parts of India pay visits every year. I have a personal disliking for this kind of Urs, though. Anyway, can someone tell us the history since when this Urs thing started as well as its background.

From what I know there are two definitions of Urs. The first and main one being of course Sufi gatherings for the dead, the second meaning and this maybe exclusive to BD is a folk music festival/gathering. Every nook and corner of BD is dotted with sufi shrines however in the last 10 years people have taken a dislike to mazars, no one does salam ziarat these days except you will see the poor.

Hope they are going back after doing their worshiping thing.

At least 11 Lakh from BD go to BandhuDesh India every year and stay behind to taste the high class living in the Bombay slums.

You're saying that even our slums are better than 'least livable' Dhaka ?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom