What's new

this man who cleans,eats and sleeps in a public toilet in India for £70 a month

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Having a bad day at work? Pity this man who cleans, eats and sleeps in a public toilet in India… for £70 a month
  • Premraj Das moved to Delhi three years ago in search of a better life
  • Took a job as a security guard for public toilets in city after spate of thefts
  • Father-of-three prepares his meals, eats and sleeps in the conveniences
  • Earns £70 a month and enjoys meeting up to 400 people a day who come in
  • Mr Das is one of at least three men known to live and work in Delhi toilets
ByCLAIRE CARTER FOR MAILONLINE

• While many people would complain about the toilets or kitchen at their workplace, for Premraj Das his job means a public lavatory has also become his home.

For the 40-year-old prepares his meals, eats and sleeps in a toilet in Delhi in India to earn his salary of £70 a month as a security guard.

But the father-of-three - who moved to Delhi in search of a better life - does not complain, saying his only regret is that he must shut the lavatories at 9pm leaving him with a lonely night ahead.

Scroll down for video

2817D03F00000578-0-image-a-8_1430234879384.jpg

+11
    Premraj Das sleeps, cooks and eats at public toilets in Delhi, India, where he is employed as a security guard

Mr Das was employed as a security guard at the public toilets after the city;s authorities decided they needed to be protected following a spate of thefts, as well as kept clean.

As the guard Mr Das spends his days in his toilet, where he prepares, cooks and eats his food.

He said: 'I don't feel any discomfort living inside the toilet as it has become a habit now. It's like my home.

'I feel sad only when I close the toilet at 9pm in the evening and I am all alone for the entire night and I don't get to speak to anyone.'

Mr Das hails from the northeast of India and formerly worked as a laborer in Punjab and at a local market in Allahabad, as well as on a farm in his home village.

But three-and-a-half years ago he moved to Delhi in search of a better life for himself and his family.

2817D07600000578-0-image-a-12_1430234932413.jpg

+11
    Mr Das prepares all his meals in the toilet, living there to save as much as possible of his £70 a month salary

2817CFD400000578-0-image-m-13_1430234937101.jpg

+11
    2817CFC800000578-0-image-a-14_1430234946602.jpg

+11
    The father-of-three says he is not embarrassed by his toilet home and enjoys meeting hundreds of people

Despite the stigma attaching to cleaning toilets, he says he feels no shame at what he does and used the £70 he earns every month to support his family.

He also enjoys the opportunity to meet hundreds of people a day who visit the city's conveniences.

'This is a dirty job but it's regular and fetches me a monthly income. I wouldn't get a permanent job anywhere else that pays this much,' said Mr Das.

'My family know that I have to work to earn a living for them and me. I have kids who are still too young to understand what their father does.

+11
    The father-of-three works in a public toilet as a security guard, where around 400 people visit every day

2817D17D00000578-0-image-a-15_1430234964725.jpg

+11
    Mr Das uses the public convenience's wash basin to clean his cooking utensils at the end of every day

2817D15900000578-0-image-a-16_1430234970110.jpg

+11
    Mr Das eats on the floor of the toilet and said his only concern is being lonely when he shuts up the toilet

'I am going to work here for as long as I can because I don't have many options. Everyone dreams of a luxurious life but how many can afford it?'

And he is not the only person pursuing such a life in Delhi, as other men have been found living and guarding toilets in India's vast city.

Mr Das's work begins each day at 6am, and rather than commuting home at the end of each shift, he has decided to live in the toilet to save money on rent.

Otherwise he would spend up to half his salary paying for a place to stay.

+11
    Mr Das' room is within the toilet block, his clothes stacked against the wall and among his pots and pans

+11
    He said he would rather sleep in the toilet than spend around half of his wages on renting a single room

'After the toilet is closed for the day, I cook food here and after having food I clean up the place and sleep,' he added.

'People sleep everywhere and anywhere in this country. I sleep here in the toilet - where else can I sleep with the money I earn in a month?

'I earn 6000 rupees and the rent of a single room is 3000 rupees, which I can't even think of in my dreams. Hence, I clean this place and sleep here.'

The father-of-three regularly sends money back home - and he says when he is not cleaning, he spends his day talking with the people who come to use the toilets.

2817D28A00000578-0-image-a-21_1430235669719.jpg

+11
    Ranjit Das also cooks, eats and sleeps in public conveniences in Delhi in a bid to earn as much as possible

2817D28100000578-0-image-a-28_1430236477028.jpg

Ranjit has also made a makeshift home in one of Delhi's public conveniences, setting up a bed there

He also offers tea and food to anyone who sees him in his makeshift home during the lunch or dinner hour.

He said: 'This job means that I get to meet new people every day and talk to them, hence I never feel disgusted by this job of mine.

'I like my job because I get to meet up to 400 people daily.

'People love me, be it the policemen or the lawyers. And that is why I have been able to survive here for the past three years.'

Read more:Delhi man who lives, works and eats in a public toilet in India for £70 a month  | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter|DailyMail on Facebook

I have more respect for the man who does this to provide for his family, than men from a nation that invade others and destroy their country, society and civilization. Now THAT is a shit job in my book :coffee:

why so hostile? i was just making a joke that the job is shitty because it's a restroom, and you retort to the classic invade countries and destroy them bit.

i see you lack a sense of humor :coffee::rofl:

but hopefully under modi a man can work for more than 70 pounds a month and having to live in a restroom in the future

why so hostile? i was just making a joke that the job is shitty because it's a restroom, and you retort to the classic invade countries and destroy them bit.

i see you lack a sense of humor :coffee::rofl:

Ya, I find it difficult to laugh at poverty, human hardship and misery.

But you go right ahead, you are an american, not doubt a christian too :coffee:

"I earn 6000 rupees and the rent of a single room is 3000 rupees, which I can't even think of in my dreams. Hence, I clean this place and sleep here"

There are thousands of folks in Delhi, who spend more than half of their salary in rent and transportation. I don`t like this . He is not a beggar or vagabond , he has got a permanent job and a steady salary. As a toilet cleaner he is probably a grade IV worker of Delhi Govt. He deserves to get an official govt. accommodation of some sort.
He is just being a miser and have ruined a public toilet by this sleeping and coking food there. He should be punished for this and doesnot deserve any sympathy. Stupid , rural fcuks like him has ruined our cities. If one can`t afford to live in a city , then he must not come to the city.

"I earn 6000 rupees and the rent of a single room is 3000 rupees, which I can't even think of in my dreams. Hence, I clean this place and sleep here"

There are thousands of folks in Delhi, who spend more than half of their salary in rent and trasportation. I don`t like this . He is not a beggar or vagabond , he has got a permanent job and a steady salary. As a toilet cleaner he is probably a grade IV worker of Delhi Govt. He deserves to get an official govt. accommodation of some sort.
He is just being a miser and have ruined a public toilet by this sleeping and coking food there. He should be punished for this and doesnot deserve any sympathy. Stupid , rural fcuks like him has ruined our cities. If one can`t afford to live in a city , then he must not come to the city.

He can't afford to live in the village either. So what do you suggest ? He commit suicide so that you can live without guilty or shame ?

He can't afford to live in the village either. So what do you suggest ? He commit suicide so that you can live without guilty or shame ?
Read my post again ,he works and earns a salary. I`ve specifically mentioned that.

He is a brave man who has not given up in a situation where most would have. He is braving these conditions for what? to feed his kids, and to educate them, so they would have a future better than their father. Should this person be ridiculed or honored?

Read my post again ,he works and earns a salary. I`ve specifically mentioned that.

What he earns is only half the story, His liabilities is the other half. That is the part you DO NOT SEE.

Learn to see what is real, not only what you WANT to see.

Back
Top Bottom