What's new

The world's first air-cooled active phased array radar successfully developed

i am confused is their two AESA chines radars one is KLJ-7A and other is Air cooled AESA radar for jf-17
i m confused because they have two different institute KLJ-7A is developed by Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technology (NRIET), also known as the China Electronics Technology Company's (CETC's)

Air Cooled AESA Radars is developed by The 607 institute, officially known as the China Leihua Electronic Technology Research Institute (LETRI), AVIC

so please clear this i'll be very thankfull

So...... its better than the KLJ-7A and Vixen-1000E?
Not necessarily but seem more suitable that KLJ-7A because of air-cooling system(lighter, cheaper and smaller). The best solution might be to go with best performance in Blk-III and then go beyond that too (to add more numbers) even if it means some structural changes to adopt to a liquid cooled high performance AESA along with IRST. While the current planes of Blk-I and Blk-II with plane bodies already made and flying, go for the lighter and smaller AESA like the one mentioned in this thread.

@Dazzler @TheOccupiedKashmir @Tempest II @araz asking for too much you think?

Not necessarily but seem more suitable that KLJ-7A because of air-cooling system(lighter, cheaper and smaller). The best solution might be to go with best performance in Blk-III and then go beyond that too (to add more numbers) even if it means some structural changes to adopt to a liquid cooled high performance AESA along with IRST. While the current planes of Blk-I and Blk-II with plane bodies already made and flying, go for the lighter and smaller AESA like the one mentioned in this thread.

It is not feasible to go for two AESA radars. You don't go with a system just because it is 'lighter' and air-cooled.

It is not feasible to go for two AESA radars. You don't go with a system just because it is 'lighter' and air-cooled.
Lighter is a misnomer, the term is smaller. A large part of AESA is cooling space which the JF did not have

but is it as advanced and does it have the range detection as the klj-7a?

Lighter is a misnomer, the term is smaller. A large part of AESA is cooling space which the JF did not have

Reportedly, JF-17B has an enlarged nose to accommodate liquid & air cooled AESA radars like Vixen 1000E.

If PAF selects the 607 institute radar to upgrade JF-17 Blk 1/2s in the future, that will be 2 types of AESA for one aircraft. In making this air-cooled radar, the Chinese have likely made compromises on performance.

Last edited:
but is it as advanced and does it have the range detection as the klj-7a?
Not likely!!
There must be some compromises made on performance. That is why i mentioned that the new blocks must get the the liquid cooled high performance AESA even if it means som structural modifications.
This air cooled lighter/smaller AESA can be useful for BLK-I and II since it do not seem to have space for bulkier liquid cooled AESA.

Reportedly, JF-17B has an enlarged nose to accommodate liquid & air cooled AESA radars like Vixen 1000E.

If PAF selects the 607 institute radar to upgrade JF-17 Blk 1/2s in the future, that will be 2 types of AESA for one aircraft. In making this air-cooled radar, the Chinese have likely made compromises on performance.
But reportedly the number of B variant is going to stay very very low. We will be done with the first hundred planes of Block I and Block II by the time B variant is ready and the numbers will be from the 50 planes planned for Blk-III (there will be A Variants too so you have a rough idea). Ideally, the Blk-III MUST get some structural modifications if required to be able to carry a high performance liquid cooled AESA. This lighter/smaller one can be used for already existing aircraft.

Not an ideal situation at all, no doubts about that. However what other choice you have when:
  1. Your existing planes do not seem to be able to carry the heavier/bigger Liquid cooled AESA
  2. The air cool one is likely to have compromised some performance aspects and therefore you want the upcoming planes to be equipped with a more adequate system.
What other choice you suggest will be easier and more workable option?

Back
Top Bottom