What's new

The US Plans To Give Drones To Afghanistan

SenLin

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Barack Obama and Hamid Karzai's recent meeting didn't reveal much of anything, but afterward Karzai followed it up by telling reporters the U.S. plans to hand Afghanistan its own fleet of drones.
Karzai said the drones will be unarmed and for surveillance purposes, though he did not specify what breed of drone they would inherit, according to Azam Ahmed of The New York Times. The Karzai government will also get 20 helicopters, 4 C-130 transport planes and the training to use the systems.
The shift of equipment follows an open letter to the president from Congressman Keith Ellison, calling on Congress to force Obama to pull the curtain back from his drone strike policy.

From the letter:

Congress must require an independent judicial review of any executive-branch “kill list.” The U.S. legal system is based on the principle that one branch of government should not have absolute authority. Congress should object to that concentration of power, especially when it may be used against U.S. citizens.
Popular privacy blogger and director of the ACLU Massachusetts Technology for Prosperity project Kade Crockford points out in a post that not even Senator Ron Wyden knows anything about the drone policy.
The kicker is that Wyden, who wrote soon-to-be CIA Director John Brennan a letter on the subject, is a high ranking member of the Senate Intelligence Committee — a committee founded on the oversight of the same CIA's daily operations they've been classified out of.
Ellison wrote to conclude his letter to Obama, "The United States will not always enjoy a monopoly on sophisticated drone technology."
Americans may be sending the cutting edge tech for surveillance purposes, but even surveillance in America is a hotly contested debate. A bill banning the use of surveillance drones in domestic police operations just flew through the Florida state senate — and one might expect other states to lament as "30,000 drones" seek the skies above America.
The Karzai government isn't just inheriting drones, it's inheriting a murky, still-developing policy regarding their use.

US Drones To Afghanistan - Business Insider

For who?

And plus it is American that can attack on Pakistani soil but I doubt that Pakistanis will really appreciate it when Afghans strike insider their country.

Everyone, just take a look in the history book as to what happened the last time America gave Afghanistan weapons...

Well, if Afghanistan too would use this drones in some way against Pakistan, they would be pretty pissed i guess.
If it would help the Taliban if they captured a drone i don't know, a drone alone wouldn't be much of use...

Everyone, just take a look in the history book as to what happened the last time America gave Afghanistan weapons...

1) Giving weapons to Taliban/Mujaheddin for armed jihad/holy war and to chase the Soviets away.

2) Giving weapons to Afghan Army to make sure the same Talibans don't come back to power and to ensure safety of the people after NATO withdraws.

Spot the difference?

I'm sure how this weapons are going to be used and how professional is Afghan Army is debetable, but it's a new nation. They need time.

Well, if Afghanistan too would use this drones in some way against Pakistan, they would be pretty pissed i guess.
If it would help the Taliban if they captured a drone i don't know, a drone alone wouldn't be much of use...

The day an afghan operative replaces an american behind the controls of that drone, it won't be anything but a flying target for practice. The problem is with our spineless, stooge govt.

1) Giving weapons to Taliban/Mujaheddin for armed jihad/holy war and to chase the Soviets away.

2) Giving weapons to Afghan Army to make sure the same Talibans don't come back to power and to ensure safety of the people after NATO withdraws.

Spot the difference?

I'm sure how this weapons are going to be used and how professional is Afghan Army is debetable, but it's a new nation. They need time.

1) It still ended catastrophically, and the bottom line is that at that time Mujaheddin was the Afghani army (for all intents and purposes)

2) There have been lots of documented cases of Afghani police/military betraying coalition forces and attacking them. Not to mention the obvious security issues if terrorists were to get their hands on drones.

Your last point is exactly why I hold my viewpoint, giving drones to an inexperienced country with a history of violent radicals taking over is going to be disastrous. It hasn't worked in the past and it certainly will not work now or in the future.

MOST of the weapons used by the Taliban, were SOVIET made weapons bought FROM soviets, by using INDIAN money. Go figure!

2) Giving weapons to Afghan Army to make sure the same Talibans don't come back to power

They will, no one can stop that, Yanks will give them power share in a plate.

and to ensure safety of the people after NATO withdraws.

Thats up to Pakistan.

Spot the difference?

You, don't know the difference yourself.Your knowledge on Afghanistan hardly crosses wikipedia.

I'm sure how this weapons are going to be used and how professional is Afghan Army is debetable

They are a bunch of hash addicts, stuffed in uniforms.Majority are illiterate, and after years of training still fire guns in a "spray" action. ANA = N.Alliance guerrillas, it doesn't represent Afghan population.

but it's a new nation. They need time.

You are OFF your head, you need critical help in history lessons.

The day an afghan operative replaces an american behind the controls of that drone, it won't be anything but a flying target for practice. The problem is with our spineless, stooge govt.

Only time will tell... lets see what happens...

One question mate. What is Pakitan's official take on post 2014 Afghanistan? Do they want Karzai and co. out and Taliban in or vice versa?

You are OFF your head, you need critical help in history lessons.

When I said 'new nation' I meant new government which can't even control 100% of its' area and aforementioned incompetence/unprofessionalism of 'NEW' Afghan Army.

Only time will tell... lets see what happens...

Pakistan Military Consortium :: www.PakDef.info

They are just drones.

Pakistan scored the first UAV air to air kill in history.

One question mate. What is Pakitan's official take on post 2014 Afghanistan? Do they want Karzai and co. out and Taliban in or vice versa?

*Karzai already has done his part of corruption and will spend his retirement somewhere nice. Or will be "terminated" as every useful idiot is once he serves his purpose.

*Pakistan has been negotiating a deal with the yanks for a power sharing setup, which will see Taliban being turned into a "political party" by Pakistan & disarmed. They will get their share of the power with grantees to Pakistan for keeping Indian footprint at a "bearable" level.

*In return Pakistan will facilitate a peaceful,safe & "honorable" exit for the Yanks.

Pakistan Military Consortium :: www.PakDef.info

They are just drones.

*Karzai already has done his part of corruption and will spend his retirement somewhere nice. Or will be "terminated" as every useful idiot is once he serves his purpose.

*Pakistan has been negotiating a deal with the yanks for a power sharing setup, which will see Taliban being turned into a "political party" by Pakistan & disarmed. They will get their share of the power with grantees to Pakistan for keeping Indian footprint at a "bearable" level.

*In return Pakistan will facilitate a peaceful,safe & "honorable" exit for the Yanks.

When they talked about 'power sharing' I thought they meant ANA will still rule the country but it will be sharing power with Talibans?

So in short, technically Karzai and ANA will be out and replaced by Talibans?

So after more than a decade of 'war on terror' Talibans will still back to the power. Futile :/

And as for Indian footprints? Do they just wanna keep Indian influence in check or we can expect more attacks on Indian embassies/establishments?

Back
Top Bottom