What's new

The Mughal Empire History

I think you don't have to look at it like that. The Mughal period was one of the glorious periods of Indian history where we saw flourishing of trade arts and architecture and culture. There was a distincly Indian flavour to this culture along with a mixture of Iranian and turkic culture, artisans and building techniques and styles.

I have a more mixed view. I think that the initial period of conquest were brutal and not at all glorious.
However, the reign of some of the more tolerant emperors was a glorious one, no doubt.
Infact, India was one of the richest regions of the globe.

So for example Urdu is the true symbol of this Syncretism where persian, arabic, sanskrit and hindi all mixed to give birth to a new language. Similarly you have the Hindustani style of music. Claiming that the Taj Mahal is a hindu temple is something that Hindu fundamentalists would claim.

I agree.

Having said that, I think the first video was pretty balanced and the lattice structure could be a mixture of Iranian and local Indian styles. Particularly the use of domes and star shaped lattice work.

No, the first video is completely and utterly wrong. Read the decriptions of the architecture given by historians and architects that I have provided.
The architecture, essentially combines Hindu post-and-beam style architecture with Islamic domes on top. The carvings (except the Islamic calligraphy) were done by Gujarati Hindu craftsmen in Hindu style. You can find similar carvings on temples all over North and West India.

Last edited:
Mughal was the great ruler for Pakistan and India.
Especially their Islamic flag was superb ...

This thread is dedicated to the history of the Mughal Empire. Please post images, videos, and information about the Islamic Mughal Empire here. Discussions on Mughal culture, religion, rule, leaders, weaponry, army, war, and overall history.

Muslim Mughal Empire Rulers of the Indian Subcontinent for a Thousand Years!

What rubbish...first Mughal Emperor Babar put the foundation of Mughal empire with the victorty aganist Ibrahim Lodhi at the first battle of Panipat in yr 1526....by year 1761 when third battle of Panipat was faught beween the Maratha and Ahamad shah Abdali of Afganistan ,Mughals were no where in the scene ,their influnence only confined to Delhi.

Infact with Coronation of Shivaji as the emperor of Maratha empire in 1674...Mughal empire only lost territories to the Marathas .

With the death of Aurangzeb in 1707,within few years Mughal emperor kept loosing influences with each Subedar of Mughals ruled states delclaring themselves independent from the Mughal emperor based in delhi...So one can easily argue true Mughal empire lasted less 200 years.

Well, although Aurangzeb is much maligned, he had the biggest area under the mughal empire and hence politcally the strongest. He had also infact commissioned some temples to be constructed and also announced that Cow slaughter should not be done in public in one of his firmans documented in the firmans of Aurangzeb for Benares Mansubdar

The real end of the Mughal empire came after Bahadur Shah Zafar tried to fight and free India from the British in 1857-1860.

Well, Aurangzeb might had the biggest area under the mughal empire only in initial period of his reign...by time of his death,not only his empire had lost territories to the Marahtas and also lost the goodwill of traditional hindu supporters of mughal empire like the Rajaputs and had casued brutal atrocities aganist sikhs gurus creating newer enemies.

Ans this very few and gestures like " commissioning some temples to be constructed " dont repeal the fact that Aurangzeb was most hardcore fundamentalists of all moghul emperors and did persecute all other religionist expect his own kind. Dont try to rubbish this as RSS backed history as Aurangzeb atrocities are well documented and wide accepted among most hindu and sikds.Infact Aurangzeb's religious bigotry brought the early demise the mughal empire in india.

Well, although Aurangzeb is much maligned, he had the biggest area under the mughal empire and hence politcally the strongest. He had also infact commissioned some temples to be constructed and also announced that Cow slaughter should not be done in public in one of his firmans documented in the firmans of Aurangzeb for Benares Mansubdar

The real end of the Mughal empire came after Bahadur Shah Zafar tried to fight and free India from the British in 1857-1860.

Az singlehandedly undid what his forefathers put together years ahead of him and is bad named for good reason.

He hastened the end of the dynasty by over stretching to a point that the last 20 yrs of hie reign were spent in attempting to subdue the Deccan.He died there.

He laid the foundations of Sikh - Muslim hatred by be heading sikh guru at Chandni Chowk ( Sis Ganj Gurudwara).

Bahadur shah was but a king in name . His writ ran within the walls of Delhi only. By then the Mughals had virtually ceased to exist. He was deported to Burma in 1858.

I still remember the time as a student studying history...I felt so relieved when we reached aurangazeb...I was like.."finally...finally...the mughal rule ends...no more cramming...no more dates..."

I think you don't have to look at it like that. The Mughal period was one of the glorious periods of Indian history where we saw flourishing of trade arts and architecture and culture. There was a distincly Indian flavour to this culture along with a mixture of Iranian and turkic culture, artisans and building techniques and styles.

So for example Urdu is the true symbol of this Syncretism where persian, arabic, sanskrit and hindi all mixed to give birth to a new language. Similarly you have the Hindustani style of music. Claiming that the Taj Mahal is a hindu temple is something that Hindu fundamentalists would claim.

Having said that, I think the first video was pretty balanced and the lattice structure could be a mixture of Iranian and local Indian styles. Particularly the use of domes and star shaped lattice work.

Ejaz, My contention is not Hindutva as you are claiming nor it is fundamenatlist in nature.

I like millions of Indians (irresepective of Muslims, Sikhs OR Hinuds), would like to at least one simple thing.

And that is why the complex is out of bounds for the common public. Why does the Government of India not have the inclination to clear this for once and for all ?

Ejaz, having followed your posts very keenly I can expect you to accept that many structures including mosques, from the Delhi, Gujarat and the Deccan (Bidar) to a great extent have used pillars and structures dismantled from Hindu temples.

So coming back to my contention, why does the RTI not applicable to this? What is the fear that is being projected that it might lead to strife and riots?

It is only possible if contrary to known is discovered. I mean India with its fourth pillar of democracy which is very strong would lead every Indian to the truth.

Let there a PIL be filed and archeologists brought in. If not from ASI then from foreing countries to see what has been avoided being shown to public for so many centuries.

Everything can be clear. Simple fact is in India sice independencce the GoI has been playing a lot of games; I do not know if that is to preserve the fragile communal harmony in India (not without exceptions though). The history books have been written to that extent.

Why I as a citizen of free India, need to work so hard to understand the Islamic architecture as was prevalent in medeival india during the sultantes and then the Mughals. And that too after so many years.

Why the CBSE or the ICSE books have denied Indian students their basic right to know the facts that all Islamic architecture during the onslaught of the Delhi Sultanate, have been contructed with the help of dismantled hundreds of Hindu structures...

Do you deny this fact. I have never read these in my textbooks, I have found them on the internet. What for ? What is the reason ? Who or what are we trying to save ????

And please do not give me that crass Hindu extremist ideology.

What rubbish...first Mughal Emperor Babar put the foundation of Mughal empire with the victorty aganist Ibrahim Lodhi at the first battle of Panipat in yr 1526....by year 1761 when third battle of Panipat was faught beween the Maratha and Ahamad shah Abdali of Afganistan ,Mughals were no where in the scene ,their influnence only confined to Delhi.

Infact with Coronation of Shivaji as the emperor of Maratha empire in 1674...Mughal empire only lost territories to the Marathas .

With the death of Aurangzeb in 1707,within few years Mughal emperor kept loosing influences with each Subedar of Mughals ruled states delclaring themselves independent from the Mughal emperor based in delhi...So one can easily argue true Mughal empire lasted less 200 years.

Well, you can safely discard replying to the troll, typical Pakistani history textbook crap.

Ofcourse today the staunchest supporter of this fact is Zaid Hamid the red Toppee man from Islamabad.

The fact is the Mughal during Babur and Humayun did not have the position, nor the strength nor the hold over Hindustanis. They were constantly fighting against others.

Many people may say 1526, but what was Babur's kingdom or for that matter Humayun? Humayun had to fight Sher Shah but alas lost to him.

It was with Jalauddin Mohammad, the first foundation of a powerful and long lasting empire was laid.

So do not go by that 1000 years ...

The typical line goes like this:

"Humare samne aankh uthakar dekhne ki himmat nahin hain unki, akhir ek hazaar saal hukumat ki hai humne unpar, firangiyon ke aane se to sirf unke hukmaran badle the, pehle musslaman hua karte the bad be angrez"..

So please ignore this...

Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb: Bad Ruler or Bad History?

By Dr. Habib Siddiqui
Posted: 9 Jamad-ul-awwal 1427, 5 June 2006

Of all the Muslim rulers who ruled vast territories of India from 712 to 1857 CE, probably no one has received as much condemnation from Western and Hindu writers as Aurangzeb. He has been castigated as a religious Muslim who was anti-Hindu, who taxed them, who tried to convert them, who discriminated against them in awarding high administrative positions, and who interfered in their religious matters. This view has been heavily promoted in the government approved textbooks in schools and colleges across post-partition India (i.e., after 1947). These are fabrications against one of the best rulers of India who was pious, scholarly, saintly, un-biased, liberal, magnanimous, tolerant, competent, and far-sighted.

Fortunately, in recent years quite a few Hindu historians have come out in the open disputing those allegations. For example, historian Babu Nagendranath Banerjee rejected the accusation of forced conversion of Hindus by Muslim rulers by stating that if that was their intention then in India today there would not be nearly four times as many Hindus compared to Muslims, despite the fact that Muslims had ruled for nearly a thousand years. Banerjee challenged the Hindu hypothesis that Aurangzeb was anti-Hindu by reasoning that if the latter were truly guilty of such bigotry, how could he appoint a Hindu as his military commander-in-chief? Surely, he could have afforded to appoint a competent Muslim general in that position. Banerjee further stated: "No one should accuse Aurangzeb of being communal minded. In his administration, the state policy was formulated by Hindus. Two Hindus held the highest position in the State Treasury. Some prejudiced Muslims even questioned the merit of his decision to appoint non-Muslims to such high offices. The Emperor refuted that by stating that he had been following the dictates of the Shariah (Islamic Law) which demands appointing right persons in right positions." During Aurangzeb's long reign of fifty years, many Hindus, notably Jaswant Singh, Raja Rajrup, Kabir Singh, Arghanath Singh, Prem Dev Singh, Dilip Roy, and Rasik Lal Crory, held very high administrative positions. Two of the highest ranked generals in Aurangzeb's administration, Jaswant Singh and Jaya Singh, were Hindus. Other notable Hindu generals who commanded a garrison of two to five thousand soldiers were Raja Vim Singh of Udaypur, Indra Singh, Achalaji and Arjuji. One wonders if Aurangzeb was hostile to Hindus, why would he position all these Hindus to high positions of authority, especially in the military, who could have mutinied against him and removed him from his throne?

Most Hindus like Akbar over Aurangzeb for his multi-ethnic court where Hindus were favored. Historian Shri Sharma states that while Emperor Akbar had fourteen Hindu Mansabdars (high officials) in his court, Aurangzeb actually had 148 Hindu high officials in his court. (Ref: Mughal Government) But this fact is somewhat less known.

Some of the Hindu historians have accused Aurangzeb of demolishing Hindu Temples. How factual is this accusation against a man, who has been known to be a saintly man, a strict adherent of Islam? The Qur'an prohibits any Muslim to impose his will on a non-Muslim by stating that "There is no compulsion in religion." (surah al-Baqarah 2:256). The surah al-Kafirun clearly states: "To you is your religion and to me is mine." It would be totally unbecoming of a learned scholar of Islam of his caliber, as Aurangzeb was known to be, to do things that are contrary to the dictates of the Qur'an.

Interestingly, the 1946 edition of the history textbook Etihash Parichaya (Introduction to History) used in Bengal for the 5th and 6th graders states: "If Aurangzeb had the intention of demolishing temples to make way for mosques, there would not have been a single temple standing erect in India. On the contrary, Aurangzeb donated huge estates for use as Temple sites and support thereof in Benares, Kashmir and elsewhere. The official documentations for these land grants are still extant."

A stone inscription in the historic Balaji or Vishnu Temple, located north of Chitrakut Balaghat, still shows that it was commissioned by the Emperor himself. The proof of Aurangzeb's land grant for famous Hindu religious sites in Kasi, Varanasi can easily be verified from the deed records extant at those sites. The same textbook reads: "During the fifty year reign of Aurangzeb, not a single Hindu was forced to embrace Islam. He did not interfere with any Hindu religious activities." (p. 138) Alexander Hamilton, a British historian, toured India towards the end of Aurangzeb's fifty year reign and observed that every one was free to serve and worship God in his own way.

Now let us deal with Aurangzeb's imposition ofthe jizya tax which had drawn severe criticism from many Hindu historians. It is true that jizya was lifted during the reign of Akbar and Jahangir and that Aurangzeb later reinstated this. Before I delve into the subject of Aurangzeb's jizya tax, or taxing the non-Muslims, it is worthwhile to point out that jizya is nothing more than a war tax which was collected only from able-bodied young non-Muslim male citizens living in a Muslim country who did not want to volunteer for the defense of the country. That is, no such tax was collected from non-Muslims who volunteered to defend the country. This tax was not collected from women, and neither from immature males nor from disabled or old male citizens. For payment of such taxes, it became incumbent upon the Muslim government to protect the life, property and wealth of its non-Muslim citizens. If for any reason the government failed to protect its citizens, especially during a war, the taxable amount was returned.

It should be pointed out here that zakat (2.5% of savings) and ‘ushr (10% of agricultural products) were collected from all Muslims, who owned some wealth (beyond a certain minimum, called nisab). They also paid sadaqah, fitrah, and khums. None of these were collected from any non-Muslim. As a matter of fact, the per capita collection from Muslims was several fold that of non-Muslims. Further to Auranzeb's credit is his abolition of a lot of taxes, although this fact is not usually mentioned. In his book Mughal Administration, Sir Jadunath Sarkar, foremost historian on the Mughal dynasty, mentions that during Aurangzeb's reign in power, nearly sixty-five types of taxes were abolished, which resulted in a yearly revenue loss of fifty million rupees from the state treasury.

While some Hindu historians are retracting the lies, the textbooks and historic accounts in Western countries have yet to admit their error and set the record straight.

Well, you can safely discard replying to the troll, typical Pakistani history textbook crap.

Ofcourse today the staunchest supporter of this fact is Zaid Hamid the red Toppee man from Islamabad.

The fact is the Mughal during Babur and Humayun did not have the position, nor the strength nor the hold over Hindustanis. They were constantly fighting against others.

Many people may say 1526, but what was Babur's kingdom or for that matter Humayun? Humayun had to fight Sher Shah but alas lost to him.

It was with Jalauddin Mohammad, the first foundation of a powerful and long lasting empire was laid.

So do not go by that 1000 years ...

The typical line goes like this:

"Humare samne aankh uthakar dekhne ki himmat nahin hain unki, akhir ek hazaar saal hukumat ki hai humne unpar, firangiyon ke aane se to sirf unke hukmaran badle the, pehle musslaman hua karte the bad be angrez"..

So please ignore this...

" akhir ek hazaar saal hukumat ki hai humne unpar "

yaa,only in their wildest dreams ...and also its expected from those who suffers the bizarre case "stockholm syndrome"...u know what i mean..

BTW I come from eastern indian state of orissa...orissa saw muslim rule of less than 200yrs ,starting from when Sulaiman Khan Muslim ruler of Bengal defeated Orissa king Mukundadeva in year 1568 CE...

In fact Orissa was one of the last of the Indian territories to succumb to the Muslim invasion though most part of the sub-continent had come under the Muslim rule much earlier.

Then the Moguls conquered oriss in 1576 CE and
Orissa was subsequently ceded to the Marathas in 1751 putting an end to muslim rule in orissa.

When most part of north west india had gone through fundamental changes after the muslim invasion and problably the seeds of current day pakistan had already been sown...At that time ,Orissa King Narasimhadeva-I of the Eastern Ganga bulit the the Sun Temple of Konark ,also known as the Black Pagoda around the world...in the year 1253 CE. .

http://www.kisaso.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/image6.png

And it had been happening through out the histroy ...Kornak temple also suffered some destruction with many othe hindu temple in orissa including Jaganath mandir of puri when one of Sulaiman Khan' general infamously known as " Kalapahada " attacked and desecrated those places of worship in as soon as the Orissa king Mukundadeva was defeated in the year 1568.

Last edited:
Pakdefender,

There are very good resaons behind why Akbar is the most popular and Aurangzeb is least popular of moghuls among the hindus of india.

Kashi Vishwanath temple,Kashi and Krishna Janambhoomi Janambhumi Temple in Mathura city of India are two of the most holiest places in hindu religion.

But if any hindu visit those two places ,he would surprised to find a mosque standing next to each of the two temples...those mosque were bulit on the grounds where once the old temples were standing and Its none other than Aurangzeb ordered the temples demolition.

New temples were bulit after the death of Aurangzeb ...its a miracle of secular hindu india that tolerates those mosques that still stand bulit on demolished temple sites , right next to the newly built temple in places of such high religious importance to the hindus till today.

.its a miracle of secular hindu india that tolerates those mosques that still stand bulit on demolished temple sites , right next to the newly built temple in places of such high religious importance to the hindus till today.

Oh so nice of you!!! I am touch :woot:

Isn't the same secular India demolished Babri masjid which happen to be one of the oldest? It's still not rebuild, yet there is a move to build some ram Mandir in it's place.

What say about that?

Oh so nice of you!!! I am touch :woot:

Isn't the same secular India demolished Babri masjid which happen to be one of the oldest? It's still not rebuild, yet there is a move to build some ram Mandir in it's place.

What say about that?

Babri masjid was built by Babur at site of ancient hindu temple of Lord Sri Ram which hindus believe was the temple built to commemorate the birthplace of Lord Ram ,which was destroyed by Babur.

Its only parallel woud be like a hindu invader destroying Kabba at Mecca and building a hindu temple over it...

yaa,its a miracle of tolerant mature hindu society that Babri masjid stood there for all these years.Period.

Babur was a Turko-Mongol, whose descendants integrated with other peoples! So the Mughals were more of a mixed group of people in their later days (I personally trace some of my roots to the Mughals)!

And don't forget that the Ottoman Empire (Which is Turkic) has had a huge impact on Islamic History, so as Muslims there should be no harm in adopting a common Muslim symbol of flag!

Pakistan and our forefathers had a lot of connections with the Ottoman Empire!

Remember the Khilafa Movement, and the poetry of Allama Iqbal? Those are just some of the examples!

Like I said, the moon cresant has little to do with Islam, it's a Turkic symbol. Turks used it centuries before Islam and today they use it to symbolise themselves, not Islam.

Only the rulers of the Mughal empire were Persian or mixed, but the soldiers were Mongolians. Saying you descend from Mughals is saying you are of Mongolian descent. If you look at the haplogroup maps of Pakistan, you wont find too much of haplogroup Q, the haplogroup of north east asian people.

We should be proud of our own indiginious history instead of always trying to link with indians or Arabs or other Muslims.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom