What's new

The industry of divide and rule!

notsuperstitious

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
I find it distressing that Indian politicians and Indian media do not realise the importance of unity, of dissolving useless identities and playing a constructive role in nation building. Of course, they preach it, but do they follow it? The politics of religion, caste, language based vote banks is a reality. Media and NGOs running caste and social issues industries to get more money and business and play to their political gallery is also common.

Take for instance this news item I found today at a left wing mainstream magazine, outlook. The article title says

Dalit Man Killed Allegedly by In-Laws in Bihar

My first impression, intercaste violence, atrocities against Dalits, honor killing etc etc, pretty much bread and butter for Outlook.

Then I read the whole story, and it turns out his in laws were also Dalit! That makes it just another crime, out of thousans that happen every day. Then why the F does outlook have to mention the word 'Dalit'? What journalistic requirement is it to give it a color? Is that reporting or is that an editorial? See for yourself.

Dalit Man Killed Allegedly by In-Laws in Bihar

In a suspected case of 'honour killing', a Dalit man was murdered allegedly by his in-laws at Mehrama village of Bihar's Nawada district today, police said.

"The victim, identified as Naveen Kumar (25), was hanged with a rope and his stomach was pierced," SP Manavjeet Singh Dhillon said.

Naveen had married a girl from another Dalit caste two years ago much to the disapproval of her family, the SP said.

The victim's mother in-law and wife have been arrested and raids were being carried out to nab other family members who were absconding, he said.

Emerging story. Watch this space for updates as more details come in

On a lighter note, anyone who is married can vouch for the purely secular nature of that crime :)

There has to be a reason for this as to why the states were divided linguistically, why reservations are present based on caste or why devolution of power has happened till the panchayat level who inherently make rules and laws based on caste.

As you said divide and rule and I guess that's what's being followed.

People don't get united and hesitate to question leaders from a different caste of religion.

OR.

Allow people to enjoy caste based diversity, culture, language etc to keep them united under the banner of India.

I find it distressing that Indian politicians and Indian media do not realise the importance of unity, of dissolving useless identities and playing a constructive role in nation building. Of course, they preach it, but do they follow it? The politics of religion, caste, language based vote banks is a reality. Media and NGOs running caste and social issues industries to get more money and business and play to their political gallery is also common.

It's all about sensationalizing the crime. You won't believe I have read articles in local newspapers regarding how a dalit kid was killed by buffalo belonging to Yadavs.

Everything has become an industry

Love, Hate, friendship, animosity..everything.

Who would flick to a channel or read a paper that reports the mundane. Here, normal life is considered mundane.

I recall years ago reading a headline in ' Punjab Kesari' - a very popular Punjabi paper published from Delhi too that read ' Jawani rang lai- Jora farrar " ! It then went on to report a couple that had eloped.

There has to be a reason for this as to why the states were divided linguistically, why reservations are present based on caste or why devolution of power has happened till the panchayat level who inherently make rules and laws based on caste.

As you said divide and rule and I guess that's what's being followed.

People don't get united and hesitate to question leaders from a different caste of religion.

OR.

Allow people to enjoy caste based diversity, culture, language etc to keep them united under the banner of India.

It's primarily due to illiteracy, bigotry and hypocrisy at collective level. It's going to take couple of more generations for people in our part of the world to mature.

Everything is fair in votebank politics. For long now general public is being mislead, subdued & are made to live under constant fear due to the ruthless tactics employed by political class. It's really sad to see even educated & so called enlightened class are falling prey to this Frankenstein's monster!!

Then I read the whole story, and it turns out his in laws were also Dalit! That makes it just another crime, out of thousans that happen every day. Then why the F does outlook have to mention the word 'Dalit'? What journalistic requirement is it to give it a color? Is that reporting or is that an editorial? See for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom